Any Guesses On Future Prices?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Since it seems that Nissan will, before too long, be making an announcement about new and improved battery options in the LEAF( I am certain that most here read the EV news and are aware of the rumors of options of 125 mile and 150 mile battery packs)I wonder if anyone has thought about:
1)Cost of the increased range models
2)Affect that this will have on the 2015's out there with the 82 mile range batteries
3)Potential threat from Tesla with their Model 3

From my perspective, I have to believe that we will see further reductions in the current pricing structure. Natural improvements in batteries have reduced costs, and even if there is no dramatic technological breakthrough, I still think we will see a steady drop in pricing. That could mean that the 2015's may see a significant price drop if on the lot and still unsold when the 2016's come out(with the potentially larger packs). Same thing with the Tesla Model 3. A 200 mile EV that sells for under $40K pre-Fed rebate is a serious challenge to Nissan. it would still be way out of my price range, but lots of people on this forum would be considering one.

Lou

Everything works on supply and demand. Demand is driven by price and what is being offered for that price. Doesn't look like the leaf is changing much, but I speculate when the government tax incentives go away, this will be an effective price increase, so demand should drop along with it, and the price point will have to go down until things are balanced again. If more is offered with the car, like longer lasting batteries, more range, performance, usability, or anything that makes it more attractive to the buyer, then the seller can jack the price up.

My perspective is that Nissan has already done quite a bit of cost-take-out on the LEAF and that future reductions in the cost will be applied to provide Nissan some profit or for more range or batteries which lose their capacity more slowly.

In other words, I think Nissan will try to keep the base price just below $30,000 to allow for a low entry point but will try to both improve the range AND increase their profits simultaneously. Once the federal tax credits are gone, I expect the entry point will need to drop below $25,000. It remains to be seen whether or not Nissan will be able to swing that.

DanCar said:
The rumored cost for the 150 mile option is $4k and that a 100 mile car will come as the base model at no additional costs.
Like the 100 mile car I have now? Just a joke. :lol:

Additionally, I would like to know if those new capacity paks will retrofit into 2015 and older cars.

bbrowncods said:
Additionally, I would like to know if those new capacity paks will retrofit into 2015 and older cars.
I have begged Nissan, on numerous occasions, to provide a 30kWh battery pack for sale for the MY2011- LEAFs. But, frankly, I don't see what their motivation would be to provide such an option.

Back