any real experience with bumps ??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradford

maybe i've missed it, but the real-world drive reports haven't spoken of the car's response/ride over bumps. here in NY, bumps and potholes are all too common (especially in winter).

so is the leaf tight over the bumps, or jumpy, or what? :?:

thanks

bradford said:
maybe i've missed it, but the real-world drive reports haven't spoken of the car's response/ride over bumps. here in NY, bumps and potholes are all too common (especially in winter).

so is the leaf tight over the bumps, or jumpy, or what? :?:

thanks

With 3600lbs riding on 16" rimz it should be like buttah.

One reviewer mentioned that because of the solid rear axle (to gain room for batteries), the Leaf's cornering over bumps is not as well composed as a sports car with independent rear suspension. Fair enough.

interesting- the LA drives up around PCH and Sunset are largely on fairly well maintained roads, so not too many bumps. But, the suspension in general felt fairly soft to me and had a bit of bounce over the few small bumps I did encounter- but wasn't "jumpy" at all. (Didn't do any cornering over bumps to speak of, but with the weight distribution, it does fine for the compact car that it is.) It did have a moment of panic over a pretty good dip that made the brake pedal go skittish for a moment, but suspect it was just sensitive traction control.

Going through bumps while doing modest Regen braking might be "detected" as a slight skid, triggering the ABS, and that might "turn off" Regen braking for a moment, making it feel like one has lost braking for a short time.

This "happening" has been well-described elsewhere, for a different brand of car.

Is this what your "panic" was about?

If not, can you describe your "moment" better, please?

Yup, that's what it was- was coming to a stoplight, wasn't a stop hard enough to trigger ABS normally but yes- I've had it happen in several of the EVs I've driven, so wasn't worried about it at all. Depending on the exact circumstances, it's always been a funky trigger of either ABS or traction control. In fact, this was the quickest and mildest version of it that I've seen. It would feel unusual to a non-EV driver at first, but at no point was braking actually lost.

In the "other brand", the Regen was "shut off" for about a second, so the amount of braking force (since the mechanical brakes were not being used in any significant way) just unexpectedly dropped to "zero". One second at 30 mph is 44 feet of "no" braking.

A "fix" apparently shortened the "recovery" time, so if the "skid" was just a very short one, the loss of regen braking was reduced to (I am guessing) around 0.1 seconds. Reports of various after-fix experiences vary.

Back