Apple Watch??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
I am far more intrigued by an analog watch. Tissot is working great for me.
Way too busy to manage all that digital junk on my wrist.
Good luck to all that need one more connection and distraction. Will people be punching up buttons etc while driving? :|

Same here. I've already got an iPhone and it's more than enough UI-intensive stuff for me to be carrying around. I can't see a need to carry an auxiliary device nor do I see the Apple watch displacing my iPhone.

I hadn't worn a watch for over 20 years but by serendipity I ended up with a Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch. It's like the opposite of high-tech fussiness. It should run over 20 years without requiring anybody to crack open the case. It's waterproof to 300M. It only does one thing but it does it without me having to worry about what IT wants or needs. I've been in IT for 35 years. I don't mind complexity. But I've got to say this watch is damned refreshing. I don't need another gadget to "manage"!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Surprised there have been no posts given that the event ended at ~11:35 am Pacific time.

Apple Watch: All you need to know in 3 minutes:
http://www.pcworld.com/video/49106/apple-watch-all-you-need-to-know-in-3-minutes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch the Apple Watch and MacBook event in 11 minutes:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8179133/apple-watch-gold-macbook-spring-forward-recap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I haven't watched this yet)

From Apple Watch to MacBook: Apple Event in Three Minutes:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-03-09/from-apple-watch-to-macbook-apple-event-in-three-minutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't have time until now to look into the press talking about the most expensive models being $17K. I confirmed it by clicking the right arrows a bunch of times at http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

For me, a $1K watch is nuts, let alone one that's over $10K.

wow. I have to say I am quite disappointed. its a knock off of galaxy gear just slightly slimmed down (and not by much) and about as ugly and with less features and shorter battery life.

ouch. while I am not an apple fanboy I like it when apple "refines" the things they knock off as this tends to push other (innovators) to make cool new stuff.

there is simply nothing new here. nothing impressive in the slightest bit. no innovation "at all"

granted. maybe there is a limit to how much you can innovate on a watch but this thing is just "bleh" extremely unimpressive.

I much prefer my gwatchr. big time. does everything the apple watch does and looks nicer (never thought I would say that as apple crap if anything does tend to look good!!)

Apple is trying to make it in to a fashion statement... The problem is that a true fashion statement watch, such as a Rolex, does not depreciate or become obsolete. The
$17K Apple Watch will surely succumb to both!

mbender said:
Oh but this is not just a watch, nor is the watch part of it just any watch!
People who previously never thought of buying or wearing a watch are now going to spend hunderd$ just to be cool, fit in AND think differently, LOL.

Also wasn't impressed by it. It's like the boxy Android Wear watches (by far the least popular form factor), but doesn't have the one advantage of the boxy design--a low cost.

You could get a beautiful Moto 360 for $200 less than a similarly-sized Apple Watch, and the only feature lacking on Android Wear is NFC payments from your wrist. Android Wear does the phone call ability just fine (but you can link Android Wear direct to a BT headset--the wrist talking thing isn't very popular among capable Wear devices), touchless voice commands, apps, custom watch faces, GPS... the list goes on of similarities. Oh, and a Moto 360 is waterproof up to 3' and 30 minutes! Apple has no other options though past a Pebble, so this part is moot--they're stuck with what Apple allows them to use.

I imagine it'll still be a success just because of Apple marketing, and because smartwatches are pretty neat. They got the wireless charging and voice commands in which I believe are the only two big basic requirements needed for a successful smartwatch among consumers.

(Battery life past a day is 100% and completely inconsequential. My Moto 360 charges nightly on its on custom stand, and it'll display the time at my bedside while it charges. It has more than enough charge to last a full day. I'm really surprised that there are so many people who never take off their watches, and you would have to anyways as most smartwatches aren't waterproof)

I'll stick with my vintage 1970 Seiko 6105 automatic that has been running since day one.

Anyone that may be missing a post can attribute it to being deleted because of inappropriate comments.

This may be The End of Apple!! :lol:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/death_knell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's too bad for Apple that the ending to this chapter in the PC story has already been written. The company had the ultimate first-mover advantage many years ago with an array of better products, a vastly superior operating system and even the best commercials! Apple's story now is fodder for business historians -- don't make it fodder for your portfolio.
- Arne Aslin, TheStreet.com, Oct 25, 2001

AAPL 10/25/2001 - $1.37
AAPL 03/11/2015 - $122.43

Get that Apple Watch for only 35 bucks!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/10/technology/mobile/china-fake-apple-watch/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone catch the BMW i3 app on the Apple Watch in the commercial?

I'm sure Nissan will do the same.. Now instead of spending 5 seconds whipping your phone out and opening the carwings app, then 30-60 seconds waiting to see the SOC.. you can spend 2+(30-60) seconds doing it with your watch. Solving first world problems...

The integrated HR monitor is cool but there's no way I'm going for a run with my phone just for the GPS.. ugh.

Nobody's bumped this thread since the watches became available for pre-order?

A few hours after pre-orders started, I noted that the wait times for some had gone out pretty far.

When I looked last night, for some models, the ship by dates were June. http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/10/apple-watch-sold-out-launch-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; kinda follows this.

I just watched http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/10/what-its-like-to-try-out-the-apple-watch-in-store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but haven't had a chance to watch any of these yet: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/10/apple-watch-try-on-experience/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Given the crazy wait times and probably eBay scalpers picking up some of them, I'm kicking myself for not doing the same. At the same time, I couldn't really predict this and don't know what real demand will look like.

That said, I'm now contemplating just ordering the a $349 model (my primary phone is an iPhone 6 anyway) and trying it out. I think I can sell it for breakeven if I don't find it worth the money. I'm probably not the right audience for the scenarios that Apple's touting. I don't text nor use iMessage much. I don't put my calendar on my iPhone (frankly, the calendar functionality on the iPhone isn't very good). I don't make many phone calls. I don't use my iPhone to listen to music much on the go, except in my car, where it's connected via BT anyway.

Or, maybe I can cancel my order retail availability starts looking better.

One of my coworkers ordered 2 watches on the night orders opened up. One that was in the $1K range for himself and a $349 for his fiance. Another coworker seemed to want to order one for her husband. Her cell phone runs Android so an Apple Watch is of no use.

edit: Ordered Apple Watch Sport 38mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band for $349 + tax.

I'm guessing I'll be selling it after trying it for a few weeks.

It's so cute how nerys wanted to contribute by bashing Apple. That's so adorable. Too bad nobody cares about his opinion. Unsolicited attacks on a product you don't like are so neat. Have you done this for long? You are very good at it.

Ahhh so cute. Mcu1967 cares and th as t is all i meed to be pleased.

Thank you so much for caring.!

Getting back to the original post's topic. If you want Nissan to pay attention, this is what I did. Followed them on twitter and included them in retweets of things about the iwatch or whatever it is called when another car maker boasts about linking to it with an app. I think they read some of them, it's marketing outlet after all.

Back