April Deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mossyleaf said:
Well all I know is that I got a call asking me how many trucks a day of Leaf I could accept. This led me to believe that they were going to take the ones headed in my direction and ship them to me in a certain order based on my ability to accept, process, charge, and deliver. I think this may have some impact on the timing. It would be very unusual for me to get 150 of a one model in a small period of time. Just theories, hasn't happenned yet.

Leon, I'm willing to wash, detail and charge my own vehicle :-D...Heck you probably could have a large crowd of forum supporters who would volunteer at your dealership to get their Leaf earlier!

I get it now. I blame Leon for selling too many and pushing my delivery date back. j/k. :lol:

And what is this I'm reading about the $5K rebate running out in CA? I said to myself that I would only get the car if all the rebates were valid and I get approved for the free charger.

Again, I think if this was just a matter of someone getting their car a week later than others most people would not care. But, there is the very real matter of a dwindling CVRP fund which could mean that someone who ordered months ago would lose $5000 because someone else gets their car first. And that is clearly not a trivial matter.

Yes, the REAL issue is getting the LEAF on some day BEFORE the CA $5000 Rebate runs dry, not a day AFTER.

So, yes, a week, even ONE DAY, will make a substantial, even critical difference to some of us!!!

When they were delivering cars at a slow but steady rate and in the order of the spreadsheet, it was fairly easy to tell when the funds might run out. With this shotgun delivery with seemingly thousands of orders getting delivered at the same time, figuring out if you might get the rebate has become hard to determine. My order seems to have been bumped back over a month behind where others who reserved and ordered at the same time as me. If 1500 people pass me up, then Nissan will have an orphan sitting at the dealership because the rebate is definitely a factor in my purchase.

from CVRP website: Given the current status of rebate funds, about 500-600 LEAFs will be eligible for rebates from December 2010 through early 2011. However, an additional $5 million has been pledged to the Project for fiscal year 2010-2011. We expect this additional funding to become available sometime in early 2011, which would allow up to 1,000 additional LEAFs or similar ZEVs to be rebated.

Think we are all going to be OK ;)

I believe there is still an additional 2M not showing in the CVRP fund. That is another 400 Leafs.
And there will be additional funding next fiscal year begining July 1. :) Although the terms may change :(

I'd venture to say that for us SD folks in the EV Project, it's just as much an issue of getting Ecotality installs done prior to vehicle deliveries... they gotta be swamped and I know there have been issues with installations in certain cities due to city building departments being overly bureaucratic...

mossyleaf said:
from CVRP website: Given the current status of rebate funds, about 500-600 LEAFs will be eligible for rebates from December 2010 through early 2011. However, an additional $5 million has been pledged to the Project for fiscal year 2010-2011. We expect this additional funding to become available sometime in early 2011, which would allow up to 1,000 additional LEAFs or similar ZEVs to be rebated.

Leon, that $5 million has already been added. The current $6.61 million reflects that $5 million. That amount would allow for about 1,322 rebates of $5k each.

However, smkettner is correct, there was to be another $2 million added, which would be enough for 400 more rebates.

sdbonez said:
I'd venture to say that for us SD folks in the EV Project, it's just as much an issue of getting Ecotality installs done prior to vehicle deliveries... they gotta be swamped and I know there have been issues with installations in certain cities due to city building departments being overly bureaucratic...
I personally don't care if my EVSE is installed before I get my car - L1 is plenty for my planned use of the car for now.

Additionally, I don't think that participation in the EV Project is affecting the estimated delivery date at this point. For example, if you look at the spreadsheet, here's an example of someone who currently has an April date who reserved/ordered well after me from the same exact dealer (Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa - there are other Mossy Nissan listed but they may or may not be the same exact dealer).

me: Reserved 4/20 Ordered 10/22 Est 5/2011
jcesare: Reserved 6/25 Ordered 1/25 Est 4/2011

At this point I could really care less if jcesare gets his Leaf a couple days or even a week or two before me - as long as there is still a rebate left for me.

Boomer23 said:
mossyleaf said:
Leon, that $5 million has already been added. The current $6.61 million reflects that $5 million. That amount would allow for about 1,322 rebates of $5k each.

If the Leafs are really shotgunned in - I think we could easily blow through 1300 rebates in no time at all. After all - if Leon is expecting to blow through his 200 cars in a few weeks - add in the other high volume dealers like Fontana, Boardwalk and North Bay it's pretty easy to see how quickly the rebate situation can change.

I think that living in SoCal will give us an advantage as cars seem to be delivered first to the LA area dealers, then San Diego and then Bay Area. So while that may help me (and ttweed) out, the shotgun delivery is more likely to affect early reservation customers in northern CA who are counting on the EV rebate.

Another $2M to the fund will help - let's hope that it gets added sooner rather than later to avoid issues.

I still suspect that a lot of these recent April deliveries will get shifted to May like the earlier batch of "April" deliveries. And hopefully those early April deliveries that got bumped will get moved forward again. From what we've seen even people with "week of" estimates have had their dates shifted by as much as 3 weeks - so things are definitely still very much rough estimates.

sdbonez said:
Will any delay in the EVSE install hold up the delivery of the car?

RevBrent said:
Again, I think if this was just a matter of someone getting their car a week later than others most people would not care. But, there is the very real matter of a dwindling CVRP fund which could mean that someone who ordered months ago would lose $5000 because someone else gets their car first. And that is clearly not a trivial matter.
Exactly. It will all be sweetness and light if everyone gets their Leaf delivered by the end of May and there is plenty of $$$ in the CVRP fund to cover all of them. I sure hope that's how it goes down, and we can all laugh and grin about it later this summer.

If, however, the CVRP money runs out and is not renewed next fiscal year, and people like me and drees, who reserved and ordered on the first possible day, waited patiently for a year, only to have our deliveries delayed for unknown/unexplained reasons, are then denied the rebate because Nissan delivered cars to a bunch of people who reserved and ordered 3 months after them, it will not be a happy situation. I certainly hope the former happens and not the latter, but the pessimist in me cannot help but worry about the worst-case scenario.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

TT

ttweed said:
I certainly hope the former happens and not the latter, but the pessimist in me cannot help but worry about the worst-case scenario.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

TT

In the Engineering world, we call that type of worrying "project management"

Seeing deliveries from orders months past my order date is irritating. Then to see delivery dates from the
same dealer earlier then mine and ordered later, I tried to get some insight from Nissan. Here is their
response:

"While we cannot comment on other reservation accounts, Nissan is working hard to adhere to sequential deliveries. As a part of the normal production sequencing orders can get adjusted to meet the factory’s planning and requirements. In general orders can be adjusted by 1 to 2 weeks depending on their content and the plant’s logistics. When this happens we update your online account to reflect the new information."

Back