Are there really that many haters?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my standard response when I come across someone knocking EV's:

Here are some quick facts about understanding EVs.

1. No, electricity, no matter how it is made in this country…natural gas, coal, wind, solar, tidal, nuclear….is all cleaner than pumping oil out of ground, shipping it the United States, refining it (do you think it comes out of the ground as 87 octane unleaded?), trucking it to your local gas station. Not to mention the cost of the US Military in treasure and lives to protect our foreign oil interests.
2. Do you like sending your hard earned money to foreign governments that do not like us? I don’t. Electricity comes from the good old USA. In my case…100% from the solar panels on my roof.
3. Yes, you can spend less on a gas car and use the savings to purchase even more gas…please see #1 & #2.
4. Electric cars are part of the solution, not the only solution to get us off foreign oil.
5. Lost gas tax…states are already starting to tax EV drivers for lost gas taxes…Washington state is a good example. I’m sure as they become more popular it will happen everywhere.
6. Drivers of EVs are not all “tree huggers”…some just like clean air and keeping our energy dollars at home! If that is a tree hugger than I guess I’m one of them.
7. Have you ever even driven an EV?…they are a heck of a lot of fun to drive. Quiet, fast off the line and refill in the comfort of your own home. Unless you prefer the coffee and bathrooms at a gas station.
8. As for the higher dollar amount for the technology…it's relatively new, so yes it’s expensive….but be thankful that someone it working on a solution.
9. Government money….do you know how much government money goes to support oil companies….I’ll trade you all the “green credits” for the “oil credits” any day.
10. Gas cars are here for a long, long time.....EVs do not fit every ones needs, for those that it does, let them drive in peace and be thankful that the air you breath is just a little cleaner for it, and the middle east is a little less rich.

Ready2plugin said:

1. No, electricity, no matter how it is made in this country…natural gas, coal, wind, solar, tidal, nuclear….is all cleaner than pumping oil out of ground, shipping it the United States, refining it (do you think it comes out of the ground as 87 octane unleaded?), trucking it to your local gas station. Not to mention the cost of the US Military in treasure and lives to protect our foreign oil interests.
2. Do you like sending your hard earned money to foreign governments that do not like us? I don’t. Electricity comes from the good old USA. In my case…100% from the solar panels on my roof.
3. Yes, you can spend less on a gas car and use the savings to purchase even more gas…please see #1 & #2.
4. Electric cars are part of the solution, not the only solution to get us off foreign oil.
5. Lost gas tax…states are already starting to tax EV drivers for lost gas taxes…Washington state is a good example. I’m sure as they become more popular it will happen everywhere.
6. Drivers of EVs are not all “tree huggers”…some just like clean air and keeping our energy dollars at home! If that is a tree hugger than I guess I’m one of them.
7. Have you ever even driven an EV?…they are a heck of a lot of fun to drive. Quiet, fast off the line and refill in the comfort of your own home. Unless you prefer the coffee and bathrooms at a gas station.
8. As for the higher dollar amount for the technology…it's relatively new, so yes it’s expensive….but be thankful that someone it working on a solution.
9. Government money….do you know how much government money goes to support oil companies….I’ll trade you all the “green credits” for the “oil credits” any day.
10. Gas cars are here for a long, long time.....EVs do not fit every ones needs, for those that it does, let them drive in peace and be thankful that the air you breath is just a little cleaner for it, and the middle east is a little less rich.

+1

The recent article below is the best comprehensive refutation of anti-EV misinformation I've read.

Next time some fox-fed simpleton bloviates on the subject, direct them to this article.

If you're lucky, they will be able to read.

And maybe, if you're very lucky, they will actually read it...

As automakers are starting to bring electric vehicle (EV) technology into the mainstream, conservative media outlets have repeatedly misled consumers about electric cars by trying to paint them as environmentally harmful and unsafe, among other false claims.

CONSERVATIVE MEDIA OUTLETS ARE CAMPAIGNING AGAINST THE ELECTRIC CAR BY:

Denying That EVs Reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions

Downplaying EV Sales

Misleading About EV Distance Range

Distorting Volt Safety

Feigning Concern About Battery Disposal

Spinning Consumer Tax Credits

Fearmongering About The Electric Grid

Overstating Subsidies For Volt...
http://mediamatters.org/research/201202080012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In general, any jack ass with a match can burn down a barn. But it takes someone smart to know how to make a barn in the first place. I'll stick with the smart people thank you very much.

Ready2plugin said:
Recently I was talking to a person about EVs and part of the concern was price and range. I explained he could get a Tesla with up to 300 mile range. He says but that is 100 grand :shock: I asked how much the 7 series BMW he was driving cost.... $90,000 :roll: I don't know maintenance on a Tesla but I know that BMW is not cheep.

Ready2plugin said:

Add this: When there are more EV's on the road, gas prices will come down, so it is a win win!

Back