Around town efficiency not as good as highway for me!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmydreams said:
True, if you absolutely floor it. I like better response with less accelerator movement, so D works better when I need the increased response. What can I say? I'm lazy!! :oops:
Lazy!? I should say not!! Think of the workout you're giving your right arm every time you release your grip from the steering wheel, move the entire appendage to the right, lower it to that mousey thing, pull back to the left... JD, you're an inspiration to couch drivers around the world! :D :D

Lazy indeed!

Glenn said:
Jimmydreams said:
True, if you absolutely floor it. I like better response with less accelerator movement, so D works better when I need the increased response. What can I say? I'm lazy!! :oops:
Lazy!? I should say not!! Think of the workout you're giving your right arm every time you release your grip from the steering wheel, move the entire appendage to the right, lower it to that mousey thing, pull back to the left... JD, you're an inspiration to couch drivers around the world! :D :D

Lazy indeed!

My right hand rarely touches the steering wheel. It rests right by/on the mousey thing.

THAT is lazy. :lol:

mogur said:
Why? Full throttle acceleration is identical in both modes.
Jimmydreams said:
I jump into D when I need fast acceleration, the right back to ECO.

I use Eco only when rolling down the hill. Eco is very effective in that mode - without use of the break it moderates the speed to almost cruise level.

D is better in flatter surfaces since it doesn't get into regen instead of just coasting (or you can maintain coast by applying slight pressure on accelerator).

evnow said:
mogur said:
Why? Full throttle acceleration is identical in both modes.
Jimmydreams said:
I jump into D when I need fast acceleration, the right back to ECO.

I use Eco only when rolling down the hill. Eco is very effective in that mode - without use of the break it moderates the speed to almost cruise level.

D is better in flatter surfaces since it doesn't get into regen instead of just coasting (or you can maintain coast by applying slight pressure on accelerator).

I dont have my car yet, but I hypermile in my manual shift volvo. I get 24-26 mpg city/freeway driving daily.
I use neutral quite a bit, and of course coast up to lights and down hills.
What is NEUTRAL in the Leaf?

thankyouOB said:
There is a neutral, but you don't want to use it for coasting. I coast in "D" on the flats and slight downhills. If the hill is steep enough, I coast in "ECO" to control speed and take advantage of regen.

sproqitman said:
thankyouOB said:
There is a neutral, but you don't want to use it for coasting. I coast in "D" on the flats and slight downhills. If the hill is steep enough, I coast in "ECO" to control speed and take advantage of regen.

thanks.
really? how come?

thankyouOB said:
sproqitman said:
thankyouOB said:

thanks.
really? how come?

Don't use neutral, there is a neutral point of all drive modes with the pedal. People that are throwing the care in neutral are wasting time since the regen on the LEAF is extremely low off pedal even in ECO. There is too much hair splitting going on here, if one is not an experienced EV driver then use ECO and drive as you like to drive. It is very easy to coast in a LEAF with the right foot that I don't see what the regen from ECO was not the same on "D", where it is needed even more.

EVDRIVER said:
It is very easy to coast in a LEAF with the right foot that I don't see what the regen from ECO was not the same on "D", where it is needed even more.
I can't make out what that means ... but, I don't like even the small regen I get in Eco while on flat road when not applying any pressure on accelerator. Coasting, the most efficient mode, should be easy ... something even my wife can do.

Evdriver,
you totally confused me; too much jargon. can you answer these questions, please?

Don't use neutral, there is a neutral point of all drive modes with the pedal.
--"neutral point ... with the pedal"- means what?

People that are throwing the care in neutral are wasting time since the regen on the LEAF is extremely low off pedal even in ECO.
--I get regen, but what does it mean to say "extremely low off pedal?"

There is too much hair splitting going on here, if one is not an experienced EV driver then use ECO and drive as you like to drive.
--can you quantify and be a bit more specific what the learned elements are fr :cry: om being "an experienced EV driver"?

--This next sentence is so inexplicable that it can't be parsed:
"It is very easy to coast in a LEAF with the right foot that I don't see what the regen from ECO was not the same on "D", where it is needed even more."

please help.

On the energy efficiency screen u just want to maintain enough pressure on gas to not regen or use power.

Another point I hesitate to make due to confusion but neutral does lessen stress on the batteries when coasting in neutral as opposed to zero power mode while in drive

DaveinOlyWA said:
On the energy efficiency screen u just want to maintain enough pressure on gas to not regen or use power.

Another point I hesitate to make due to confusion but neutral does lessen stress on the batteries when coasting in neutral as opposed to zero power mode while in drive

so coasting is good?

thankyouOB said:
so coasting is good?
Coasting is a better use of energy than relying on regen if it does what you need.

It takes a certain amount of energy from the battery to get us moving. Coasting back down gives us the best range for the energy used, but slower average speed. It'll take some practice to get the feel for how far you can coast, so it's not going to return highest efficiency right from the start.

Some are suggesting we can 'find' a no-thrust and no regen point with the throttle - getting a feel for when the power is off but so is regen. A beginner can shift to N with little skill - it'll take a soft touch, familiarity, and awareness to find the zero-thrust point with the accelerator pedal.

If we're going downhill and need to keep our speed under control then by all means regen - it's much better than wasting the energy by using the brake. But regen isn't 100% efficient, so we don't get back all the energy we used to get us moving.

It's art and science - it might be an easy decision about when to transition from coasting to regen when traveling downhill, but the choice to coast uphill might be more challenging. ;)

AndyH said:
It's art and science - it might be an easy decision about when to transition from coasting to regen when traveling downhill, but the choice to coast uphill might be more challenging. ;)

:)

It would be nice to have a momentary switch to put the car in neutral, are there any untasked switches in a handy place?

I bet the Leaf glides forever in neutral.

Back