Article - Nissan to deliver 10k Leafs in 2011?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nunezj12 said:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110419/AUTO04/104190407/1361/Nissan-sees-big-April-sales-boost-for-electric-Leaf
Carolin expects total U.S. Leaf sales for 2011 to be "a little north" of 10,000.
Thanks for finding this! Here's most of the interesting bits (to me anyway..):
Brian Carolin, senior vice president of sales and marketing for Nissan North America Inc., said that by the end of April, Nissan will have sold about 900 in the United States.

Through the first three months of sales in 2011, Nissan sold just under 500 Leafs in the United States.

Carolin expects total U.S. Leaf sales for 2011 to be "a little north" of 10,000. Nissan closed a waiting list after 20,000 people made refundable deposits. Another 340,000 interested people have registered on a Nissan website.

The company vows to get Leafs into the driveways of all those who reserved one by the end of the summer.

Nissan is today beginning the reprogramming of 5,300 Leafs worldwide to address a "handful" of complaints the automaker has received of difficulty restarting the vehicle. In some cases, dealers will go to owners' homes to make the fix.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110419/AUTO04/104190407/Nissan-sees-big-April-sales-boost-for-electric-Leaf#ixzz1K0D4KYeR.

"The company vows to get Leafs into the driveways of all those who reserved one by the end of the summer."

I reserved one here in the forgotten 36. Does this mean they will open up the rest of the country for orders shortly? A couple of weeks ago I talked to a local dealer and they said they would be "getting" them middle to end of spring. I informed them of this forum and the order process as described here. They're saying that's what they've heard. So time will tell.

How can they do this? is it possible at all? 10,000 cars ??????????

so 900 by end of April.

that leaves May thru december to deliver 9,100 cars ?

anything sold in may would need to hit the docks now and we all know production was nil in April maybe 1000 leaf cars would be a generous estimate doubt its even that many

so that means they have to crank production in may, june july august and september, october is a maybe for 2011 delivery , prob not ,lets not count it (those will be 2012s)

so thats 5 months of iffy production , lets say 2000 per month thru september(they said 50% of planned) , thats 10,000 alright but its a stretch with the disaster slowing plant operating hours (electricity) and parts delays

but it is possible....... maybe........ big maybe

i guess it would mean most would get cars by october or november

but what does it mean for the forgotten 36?

kmp647 said:
what does it mean for the forgotten 36?
I'm guessing that our 2011 LEAFs on our dashboards will actually be 2012 LEAFs. My current guess is that we'll get to order late fall to winter, and take delivery next spring, so I'm guessing we have a year or so to wait, at this point. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised...

garrytman said:
"The company vows to get Leafs into the driveways of all those who reserved one by the end of the summer."

Nissan needs to clean up their message. There are 30+ states that have people who reserved cars but there has been no communication to them on when they may order and take delivery of their cars. Does this "vow" include all of the original 20K reservations - even us cold climate folks? Why then is today's press release talking about opening up for more reservations and allowing orders in the SE U.S.? Where do we fit in???

garrytman said:

I reserved one here in the forgotten 36. Does this mean they will open up the rest of the country for orders shortly? A couple of weeks ago I talked to a local dealer and they said they would be "getting" them middle to end of spring. I informed them of this forum and the order process as described here. They're saying that's what they've heard. So time will tell.

you will notice he said they will fill all ORDERS by end of summer , they are clearly saying ORDERS

all we have is reservations.........................

and I have lots of RESERVATIONS now........about this whole deal and Nissan

kmp647 said:
garrytman said:

you will notice he said they will fill all ORDERS by end of summer , they are clearly saying ORDERS

all we have is reservations.........................

and I have lots of RESERVATIONS now........about this whole deal and Nissan

Where are you seeing ORDERS. The article is accurately quoted as saying all those who "reserved" will have a car in their driveway by the end of the summer.

right here is where I am getting it: Nissan LEAF deliveries are about to grow from the few hundreds, to the many thousands, and all current customer orders will be fulfilled by the end of this summer.”

that was a quote from Tavares at the NY auto show

and not only are they going to take new Reservations from tier 1 starting in May
they are going to take susequent orders from those May 1 reservations and deliver cars to them long before any of us april 2010 reservation holders in tier 2 get cars.

here is more info from Tavares:Nissan also said it will offer some additional U.S. customers a chance to buy an all-electric Leaf. Beginning May 1, the company will reopen reservations to select consumers as both vehicle production and U.S. deliveries move into the thousands. Nissan expects to sell more than 10,000 Leafs in the United States this year.

Tavares said Leaf order-to-delivery turnaround times will be reduced to the 90-120 days range, from the current wait of four-seven months.

Tavares declined to say how many customers would be invited to buy a Leaf, but said new customers could end up getting one by summer if they order in early May.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110420/AUTO01/104200388/Nissan-to-increase-North-American-production--Leaf-offerings#ixzz1K5OK5liq

Unless my memory fails me, These quotes from Nissan pretty much match ones that were made in January and February. At that time they seemed reasonable, but given the production disruptions due to earthquake/tsunami/ reduced electrical power, not so much. I'm taking the view that Nissan doesn't yet have a handle on what their post earthquake production will look like, so they are just repeating the pre-earthquake party line. So I'm taking this all with a grain of salt. As a member of the forgotten 36, I'm not betting on being able to order anytime soon.

I think it is very possible for Nissan to deliver that many LEAFs before 2012. I would guess that everything after that is going to come from Smyrna. With all states opened for delivery by spring/2012. Hopefully this could work well for the new battery plants projected opening.

Back