Australia. Leaf release this year, considering but have Q's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
One question, do your 240 V outlets have 15 Amp breakers or 20 Amp breakers? If the former you would get 12 A x 240 V = 2.88 kW charging. If the latter you would likely get 15 A x 240 V = 3.6 kW charging (but it is only ~85% efficient, so the charge to the battery is lower). Depends on how the supplied Panasonic EVSE is regulated though. The folks in Europe would know more about that since I believe they have 240 V Panasonic EVSEs supplied with their cars.

Hi dgpcolorado,

The standard home power circuit here is 240v/10A with a 20A breaker on it. For heavy duty circuits, the rating is 15A but not sure what rating breaker they get as we don't have any 15A circuits installed. Higher ratings are direct-wired like our electric oven which has a 40A breaker on it. We have a sub board in the garage and there is a 32A breaker on the main board for it, so I expect a 15A outlet could be installed there. Really, the garage only has lights and door opener connected.

davewill, good point about the UK, I will see what I can find out there...

Beleaf said:
Hi.

I'm based in Adelaide, Australia and have been following the Leaf since it was first announced. The Leaf is expected to be released here for sale around June/July and I have placed a 'no obligation reservation' on a Silver Leaf. I like the idea of an EV from an environmental perspective, and also have an added benefit in having a 10Kw PV system on the roof which exceeds our consumption.

Unfortunately, there is no government subsidies for EV's in Australia. :(

As I have not even been quoted a price for the car yet, nor any information regarding specification levels of which release of the Leaf will be sold, I can't really make up my mind if I will go ahead or not. Hopefully, the dealers don't pull a high pressure sales act on me at the 11th hour, because I'm afraid I will just walk away at that point. Not interested in any of that.

Re EVSE's, Nissan Aust. has partnered with Origin Energy for a Couloumb based unit: http://www.originenergy.com.au/3886/Origin-Home-ChargePoint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a 7kW (230V / 30A) EVSE. Australia has 240v power as standard. Our home has 3 phase power, which is 418v if I remember correctly. Origin has sent me a generic quote for the above unit for AU$2750. I'm wondering why it is so expensive, and if I could get by with the standard charger included with the car (if it comes with one, I have no idea yet) Also, maybe getting the standard unit upgraded, but again, no idea if the standard unit is the same or different to the one included with the Leaf in the US.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Michael

G'day Michael,

If I were you, I'd wait for the 6.6kW charger equiped Leaf. By then, the EV infrastructure would hopefully be built out around Adelaide.... Last checked, hmm, not so good. Only one in the city: http://www.recargo.com/sites/2544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I returned to Melbourne recently for a couple of months, I only managed to see a single Leaf (at the airport) and a Mitsubishi Miev around town wearing Victorian EV Trial plates.

BTW, I was quite eager to see if my Blink card would work overseas but I realize I didn't have it with me. Nevertheless, I uploaded the Melbourne Airport charging station pics up on Recargo:
http://www.recargo.com/sites/5320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

mxp said:
G'day Michael,

If I were you, I'd wait for the 6.6kW charger equiped Leaf. By then, the EV infrastructure would hopefully be built out around Adelaide.... Last checked, hmm, not so good. Only one in the city: http://www.recargo.com/sites/2544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I returned to Melbourne recently for a couple of months, I only managed to see a single Leaf (at the airport) and a Mitsubishi Miev around town wearing Victorian EV Trial plates.

BTW, I was quite eager to see if my Blink card would work overseas but I realize I didn't have it with me. Nevertheless, I uploaded the Melbourne Airport charging station pics up on Recargo:
http://www.recargo.com/sites/5320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Thanks for the info mxp,

Whilst I appreciate that a 6.6kW charger is an improvement over a 3.3kW charger, it's also becoming obvious that we don't need more charging capacity than what the car already has. A trip to Adelaide Central Market from home is just an 11km drive.

The reason you only saw a single Leaf in Melbourne is that they have not been officially released here yet. The Vic Govt. is undertaking a trial involving a number of EV's several of which are Leaf's. I'm surprised you saw any!

What could you use your Blink card for in Melbourne without an EV?

Cheers,

Michael

Beleaf,
Im also in Adelaide, and wondering if you ever found out what charger comes with the car? ... and what the charge times are? Finding it very difficult to find out - most information talks about 110v which is irrelevant here.

Hopefully you went ahead with your purchase and can let us know.

Cheers,
James.

jboman32768 said:
Beleaf,
Im also in Adelaide, and wondering if you ever found out what charger comes with the car? ... and what the charge times are? Finding it very difficult to find out - most information talks about 110v which is irrelevant here.

Hopefully you went ahead with your purchase and can let us know.

Cheers,
James.

Hi James,

No, I didn't go ahead with the purchase. Partly because of the Australian pricing and also the general appliance nature of the vehicle.
Poor customer service from both the local dealer and Nissan played a part, especially by dictating a silly 3rd party and expensive home charger that was in excess of the charging capabilities of the vehicle.

I'm waiting until something more convincing rolls in. Currently there isn't a lot on the way. Renault has shelved plans for the Zoe due to a lack of government support. Perhaps the bimmer i3 will be worth looking at.

Back