Australian release of Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownUnderLeaf

Hey Guys & Gals!

So I have been waiting and waiting for this to happen. Finally Nissan released the LEAF here in Australia.

What a huge disappointment it's been, with a recommended retail of AUD$51500. This doesn't even include drive away costs which take it too around AUD$58000!

It's crazy! And to top it off we don't have government rebates. Even financing this car is a headache at around 7% interest PA. Just puts it out of reach of everyone.

Just wanting to share my pain with you guys. It looks like I won't be able to get one after all.

Thinking to start myself a fundraiser to get one!! :D

Yes, Downunderleaf, I feel your pain.

I was set to buy one, but $58k? That's a bit over the top. I can wait.

Wait till you get a quote from Origin for the EVSE: $2700 (if you don't need a lot of re-wiring).

If you're looking for an EVSE look here: http://www.e-station.com.au/homecharge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$1299 and a local electrician can install it without the Origin tax. As it stands, I think the Leaf would be fine charging from the supplied cable on 240v.

Options on the table at the moment is throwing more battery into a secondhand Prius or waiting for the Renault Zoe to see if it turns out to be more reasonable. Waiting for a secondhand leaf at 1-2 years should also be a reasonable option.

I LOL'd at my origin quote. It included a previous purchase discount but still excessive.

I just checked it that web site you mentioned earlier today. Much more reasonably priced.

Thats about AUD$6000 higher than the usual pricing differential with the US market, steep. How is the AUD$ doing vs the Yen?

The Commodore sedan was sold by Pontiac in the US as the G8, we actually got it cheaper than you guys pay for in Australia.

EdmondLeaf said:
is this model 2013 or 2013 what kind of charger 3.3 or 6.6 kWh?

It's the current model, we would call it MY12. So just the 3.3kw charger.

I have heard about the 'next model year' for USA with the 6.6kw charger but no idea if the upgrades would be headed out way so soon.

Herm said:
Thats about AUD$6000 higher than the usual pricing differential with the US market, steep. How is the AUD$ doing vs the Yen?

The Commodore sedan was sold by Pontiac in the US as the G8, we actually got it cheaper than you guys pay for in Australia.

It's about ¥80 for AUD$1 ATM... And AUD$1 to USD$1.01?

EdmondLeaf said:
what is the basic Prius price?
Charging at 12A you will be completely fine
I only plan on using a 15amp power point but Nissan is almost forcing us to get the charger by only delivering the car once the installer says its in. Very strange.

I have a Prius. And the base model is $33500 plus on road costs. Taking it to around $35000. But keep in mind Toyota regularly had finance specials of 2.9% or 3.9%, maybe even free insurance for the first year so it's a sweet deal.

What is amp difference between wall evse and portable, if none or 1 to 2 amps it is very strange, why one will need wall unit, Here it was possible to get waiver but now even waiver is not needed anymore. I will wait and see how situation develops

Here in Aus, we're 240v. A standard wall outlet is 10A and a heavy duty wall outlet is 15A

Origin is quoting a 32A EVSE. That's a bit strange seeing as the Leaf can't take 32A.
I think it's a Coulomb Chargepoint: http://www.originenergy.com.au/3886/Origin-Home-ChargePoint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've hear that the included cable on the Leaf is set to 240v/10A

The whole sales process smells of careful customer herding and price gouging. It's creepy just talking to these people. I put my hand up for a no-obligation 'reservation' a couple of months ago. So far, I've had a couple of calls with Nissan, about 10 with Origin, and so far no-one has told me the price or offered to drop by and do a trade-in valuation. Currently, Nissan is lining us up to do a 'test drive', which I suspect will include a high pressure sales event either before or after the drive.

Stupid.

Herm said:
Maybe you Aussies are getting a complete battery replacement at 3 years baked-in to the price :)
You raise an important point: depending on where DownUnderLeaf lives, purchasing a LEAF might not be a good idea given the very rapid battery capacity losses seen by the Arizona owners. There are plenty of places in Australia that get very hot.

Assuming that DownUnderLeaf lives in a more temperate coastal area, that price does seem very high. Might be worth waiting to see how prices change with the 2013 model year since the production of cars and battery packs will increase.

Requiring an installed EVSE when the Nissan/Panasonic one included with the car will supply 2.4 kW seems unnecessary. That is plenty fast enough for overnight home charging. Something is not right there. Here in the USA we were able to opt out of the "required" EVSE installation with a simple phone call.

Beleaf said:
The whole sales process smells of careful customer herding and price gouging. It's creepy just talking to these people. I put my hand up for a no-obligation 'reservation' a couple of months ago. So far, I've had a couple of calls with Nissan, about 10 with Origin, and so far no-one has told me the price or offered to drop by and do a trade-in valuation. Currently, Nissan is lining us up to do a 'test drive', which I suspect will include a high pressure sales event either before or after the drive.

Stupid.

Is your money and your choice, what you described looks like not very encouraging beginning of sale - customer relation.
Where are you located?

Herm said:
Beleaf said:
I've hear that the included cable on the Leaf is set to 240v/10A

You are the expert but read somewhere that it was 7 amps

No, I'm not the expert, and you could be right. I haven't even seen one. It's likely that the unit is de-rated, so if it plugs into a 10A wall socket, it's unlikely to draw the full 10A.

Cynically, if it did draw 10A then there would be less reason for owners to buy the wall charger, so reducing the amperage may be part of the plan.

EdmondLeaf said:
Is your money and your choice, what you described looks like not very encouraging beginning of sale - customer relation.
Where are you located?

In South Australia where the max temps in summer hit 45C (113F) How hot does it get in Phoenix?

dgpcolorado said:
Herm said:
Maybe you Aussies are getting a complete battery replacement at 3 years baked-in to the price :)
You raise an important point: depending on where DownUnderLeaf lives, purchasing a LEAF might not be a good idea given the very rapid battery capacity losses seen by the Arizona owners. There are plenty of places in Australia that get very hot.

Assuming that DownUnderLeaf lives in a more temperate coastal area, that price does seem very high. Might be worth waiting to see how prices change with the 2013 model year since the production of cars and battery packs will increase.

Requiring an installed EVSE when the Nissan/Panasonic one included with the car will supply 2.4 kW seems unnecessary. That is plenty fast enough for overnight home charging. Something is not right there. Here in the USA we were able to opt out of the "required" EVSE installation with a simple phone call.
I'm from Melbourne, so the weather isn't that hot at all. Very short summers I'd say.

But waiting for the next model seems like a better idea, I'd much prefer a darker interior trim.

Beleaf said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Where are you located?

In South Australia where the max temps in summer hit 45C (113F) How hot does it get in Phoenix?
That temperature is similar to Phoenix, although it may stay hotter longer there. If you did get a LEAF it would be best to lease it or else just pass on it for now.

Eventually Nissan is going to have to come up with a temperature management system for the battery pack or use a new battery chemistry that is less sensitive to high temperatures. The rapid loss in battery capacity for Phoenix LEAF owners is simply not acceptable. In your area I sure wouldn't risk it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Go the Prius route... There is no way the Leaf is worth more than a $20K differential!

DownUnderLeaf said:
I have a Prius. And the base model is $33500 plus on road costs. Taking it to around $35000.

Back