B-mode not being

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidGreene

B-mode is acting strangely on our 2016 SV. I shift into B-mode but the regen isn't nearly as aggressive as it ought to be. It drives as in D-mode for some time before B-mode finally kicks in. I've tried rebooting the car, shifting to park and back out and other things. Nothing works. We just have to drive it for a while before B-mode begins to be.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's truly bizarre.

There isn't any chance that your "B mode has to warm up" experiences happen when the car is at or near 100% charge, is there (Sorry for asking such an obvious question).

What you are describing sounds completely normal to me. When the car is at a high state of charge, it cannot do heavy regenerative braking because it won't allow the high levels of electricity to flow back into the battery for safety reasons as it might overcharge the battery. I don't think that B mode will work fully until about <90%. You can tell how much regen is being allowed by looking at the bubbles on your dash display. When there are double outlined circles on them it means that you can use them for regen. There is also heavier regen that can't be seen on the dash bubbles. Drive the car down to about 85% charge and B mode should work more aggressively than D mode.

On a side note, I find that I get slightly better range using D mode instead of B in almost all situations. I find the ability to coast further in D mode almost always generates more efficiency. I usually only engage B mode if I am going down a long extended downhill.

tkdbrusco said:
What you are describing sounds completely normal to me. When the car is at a high state of charge, it cannot do heavy regenerative braking because it won't allow the high levels of electricity to flow back into the battery for safety reasons as it might overcharge the battery. I don't think that B mode will work fully until about <90%. You can tell how much regen is being allowed by looking at the bubbles on your dash display. When there are double outlined circles on them it means that you can use them for regen. There is also heavier regen that can't be seen on the dash bubbles. Drive the car down to about 85% charge and B mode should work more aggressively than D mode.
+1 on all of this.

What you describe is exactly how it behaves at high % SoC, double circles and all.

At mild or warmer temperatures regen is mostly available at 95% or less.
Check the regen bubbles at speedo. They are dual layer if bubble is available.

powersurge said:
You should always have access to B mode.
Yes. You can always shift to it just like you can shift to D.
powersurge said:
Have the car checked at the dealer.
No! There is NOT full regen available at high state of charge and that's reflected by the lack of all double circles being present around the regen bubbles on the left side. More of those will get double circles as the state of charge goes down. And, as the happens more regen can happen either via brake pedal or B mode.

Back