Bad EVSE caused car to not start/charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venturaleaves

I had an EVSE, exactly the same as this one:
SimplyWork Level 2 Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger for All EVs, 220/240V Level 2 Speed with NEMA 6-20 Plug, 110V Level 1 Speed with Included NEMA 5-15 Adapter, 16A, 25FT Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYQV2VL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_6l4-FbMN4YS2M

but with a different name. It has worked fine for me for about 3 years. The last 9 months I’ve been using it at work at a 16a 220v outlet. 2 weeks ago the car stopped charging at 48% & would not start. There was a “service EV system” message & several warning lights. I had it towed to the dealer, where they cleared the codes & reset the computer. After that it charged fine on my Nissan 220v EVSE & at public chargers & it started & drove normally. Then 2 weeks later when I used the above EVSE at work the exact same fault occurred. I had it towed to the dealer again. I threw that EVSE away. It was made in China and apparently the electronics inside that we’re supposed to protect the car failed.

Interesting situation. It seems as though no hardware was damaged, just the firmware confused. I can't think of anything that the EVSE could do to do that. Though perhaps it's to do with line surges, and the cheap EVSE doesn't have protection against those. Line surges might be more common at work, if it's an industrial area.

I think it's possible that you have an intermittent fault in the car, and it's just coincidence that it failed both times with that particular EVSE. Maybe the problem is exacerbated by charging outdoors, as you may well have at work. Though public charging would also be outdoors. Perhaps you don't use public charging for as long?

Any "glitches" in the communication between the EVSE (or DCQC) and the car can set error codes and terminate charging. I have only used public charging a few times (9 DCQC's) with my 2019 so have not yet experienced this problem, but I had several times with the 2011 and 2015 that I was able to clear error codes using LEAF Spy Pro and then charge at another charging station. I strongly recommend obtaining a suitable OBDII interface and LEAF Spy Pro because clearing error codes will often allow the car to be driven and charged without towing to the dealer.

Back