Battery safety ? Insulated tools !!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NNichols

So the service manager at the dealership tells me the shop has to use insulated tools.

What this; are the cars electric time bombs ready to electrocute an unsuspecting owner ??

I would expect to exercise some normal safety caution. I don't work under the hood with exposed battery terminals.

I loosing my enthusiasm for this potential purchase..

Obviously an electric car is going to have high voltage wiring. Insulated tools seem like a reasonable precaution for conducting (heh) service.

I haven't heard of any incidents that would suggest the LEAF is unsafe. If there had been even minor incidents, belive me the media would have made a big deal of it.

You could pull the emergency disconnect switch, which could prove to be equally if not more effective.

1knQcax
newownermnl

Insulated tools are needed for working on HV systems, things touch and it gets ugly. There have been people killed working on EVs, it has not been in the press. I would not doubt there have been incidents here that are not reported.

NNichols said:
So the service manager at the dealership tells me the shop has to use insulated tools.
What this; are the cars electric time bombs ready to electrocute an unsuspecting owner ??
Of course not.
I would expect to exercise some normal safety caution. I don't work under the hood with exposed battery terminals.
If working under the hood, although there is very to be done, you will not be exposed to the traction battery's >390 volts. And, as mentioned, there is a disconnect. When working near or with the 12 volt battery, same procedures and cautions as an ICE vehicle.
I loosing my enthusiasm for this potential purchase..
IMHO that is a pretty odd and unwarranted conclusion.

Back