Battery Temp

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nine for sure, and I think I've had ten once after QCing at the end of a lengthy multi-QC trip from Portland, OR to Bellingham, WA. That was quite early on in my LEAF ownership; I've gotten better at managing battery temperature since then. Maybe it's only superstition reinforced by coincidence, but stopping QCs at or below 80%, plus trying to keep the dash-indicated efficiency as far above 4mi/KWh as possible seems to help.

I have been wondering about this. I have had 6 bars for 95% of the time since I've had my Leaf (5/1/15). Doesn't matter if it's 60F or 100F. I saw 5 bars maybe 2-3 days and only once I saw 7 bars but it was 100F and I QC'd to 90% so I was happy to see it at only 7 when I expected it to get much hotter.

What is the best temp to be at? 4-6 bar range?

I got mine up 2 bars before it would go into red which was registering 117 degrees Fahrenheit on my Leaf Spy App on a 90 degree day driving from San Diego to LA. My first Quick Charging was to 100% around 10:30 AM at Dana Point with no noticeable rise in heat then 94% in LA at noon reading about 112 degrees Fahrenheit and then 89% again on the way back at Dana Point around 2:30 in the afternoon heating it up to 117 degrees Fahrenheit which is where it stayed all the way back. The in entire 213 mile trip was done at LA freeway speeds as low as 35 mph to 70 mph speeds whenever possible but towards the end I didn't go over 60 mph and then took side roads back at 45 mph back to the house.

Never seen temp gauge go above 7 bars, mostly at 6 bars when LeafSpy registering battery temp between 70 and 85 degrees.

During the summer I see 6 bars all day long in Tennessee and in the winter I've been down to 2 bars in the morning.

I made a 200 mile round trip on Monday when the high was 94 degrees. 3 QCs after leaving the house with a full charge. Mostly highway miles, and I only saw 7 bars. I kinda figured I would see 8 for the first time after my last QC, but it was around midnight by then and finally cooling down. Leaf spy said I was at 116 degrees (I think).

I have had 8 bars for the last day or two (even in the mornings). Higher night temperatures due to higher humidity are keeping my battery temperatures high. Battery temperatures from Leaf Spy are 110.2, 107.6, and 107.9 right now. 8 bars is the highest I have had so far with the 2015. I had the 2011 in the red zone once (with power limited) after a couple of QCs in one day with highway driving between them.

Gerry

After QC yesterday in Daly City, CA, the highest temp was 87F, according to LEAF spy Pro. Went from 5 (before) to 6 bars (after QC), with about 6.15 Kwh added. That evening did a 100% charge overnite at L1 in San Francisco - the max. temp was 70F and 5 temp. bars. I have never seen 7+ bars with my LEAF, although I have lost 1 capacity bar.

A couple of days this summer when the outside temperature was a bit above 80 (it has been a cool summer) there were a total of 6 bars.

I've seen 7 on brief occasions when it was usually hot out for an extended period (the lowest I have ever seen is 5)... However, the bars are so broad and have so much hysteresis that they are of marginal value. I use Leaf Spy Pro to see the actual temperature. The bar calibration also changes with battery degradation so it will be different for a new battery versus one that is significantly degraded...

boba said:
A couple of days this summer when the outside temperature was a bit above 80 (it has been a cool summer) there were a total of 6 bars.

Back