Battery Upgrades are very possible

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't decided if I'm going to sell it yet. I have a local connection that wants to hire me to do battery swaps for him and he'd probably buy this pack..but I'm not sure I want that. Considering keeping the cells to make my own solar storage system, also considering selling the cell modules on eBay. I sold cell modules on eBay from a 2012 pack a few years back; went well. Ultimately got about $2k back from a 67% soh pack

I haven't decided if I'm going to sell it yet. I have a local connection that wants to hire me to do battery swaps for him and he'd probably buy this pack..but I'm not sure I want that. Considering keeping the cells to make my own solar storage system, also considering selling the cell modules on eBay. I sold cell modules on eBay from a 2012 pack a few years back; went well. Ultimately got about $2k back from a 67% soh pack.
If I can source a pack, I wanted to use the old one as a power station to back up my house or power it during peak electricity prices. Please let me know if you decide to make it a solar storage.
I will keep an eye on these auctions.

The '22 SV+ I got for $4950 bid, $6333 all fees, I picked it up myself, IAAI Indianapolis. Be wary of Copart which sells from most anyone, and those could be easily already previously harvested. Search for the vin to see if the car was previously sold, and there are a few sites which have previous auction result data. IAAI generally only sells from insurance companies, which should be unadulterated vehicles, unless some local enthusiast got to the car between the collision and receipt by IAAI yard.

Youtube University Salvage Auction Degree Program: samcrac, richrebuilds, legitstreetcars, vehcor

The 62kwh pack I got in 2019 was discussed here a ways back. The original 24kwh pack from my car is powering my house (14s ~48v, 28 gen2 modules, plus two 62kwh 7s modules) and lawnmower (10s ~36v, 20 gen2 modules). https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGWFbskSQAxUAMCB8

Last edited:
The '22 SV+ I got for $4950 bid, $6333 all fees, I picked it up myself, IAAI Indianapolis. Be wary of Copart which sells from most anyone, and those could be easily already previously harvested. Search for the vin to see if the car was previously sold, and there are a few sites which have previous auction result data. IAAI generally only sells from insurance companies, which should be unadulterated vehicles, unless some local enthusiast got to the car between the collision and receipt by IAAI yard.

Youtube University Salvage Auction Degree Program: samcrac, richrebuilds, legitstreetcars, vehcor

The 62kwh pack I got in 2019 was discussed here a ways back. The original 24kwh pack from my car is powering my house (14s ~48v, 28 gen2 modules, plus two 62kwh 7s modules) and lawnmower (10s ~36v, 20 gen2 modules). https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGWFbskSQAxUAMCB8
Wow. As a non-engineer, would I be able to do something like this with my old battery pack?

SI with lead-acids, AC coupled to Enphase/Leaf Modules? I couldn't figure out if you have two charge controllers going--but you would have to. The BMSs on the Leaf modules protect them as they feed the Enphases? 5048s or 6048s? The SIs will take the frequency high to shut down the Enphase? This all works??!!

Also, great advice on shopping for wrecked Leafs--I have been looking at the Copar auctions...mow I know better.

SI with lead-acids, AC coupled to Enphase/Leaf Modules? I couldn't figure out if you have two charge controllers going--but you would have to. The BMSs on the Leaf modules protect them as they feed the Enphases? 5048s or 6048s? The SIs will take the frequency high to shut down the Enphase? This all works??!!
Amazingly, it does work. It is very complicated how it's set up, both AC and DC coupled. The complexity is fun and a tradeoff for using whatever good components were available, and really cheap. This album has diagrams of how it's set up now. https://photos.app.goo.gl/q1euFhioH266nPvW9 Initially, it was components from a DC Solar trailer, SI6048US inverters, wired like the trailer but installed in the garage. Later added the Leaf modules, discharging via microinverters. There are lots of people with DIY systems, poke around diysolarforum.com.

@dhh002 Also look up https://github.com/dalathegreat/Battery-Emulator. Currently there are not many US 240v split phase inverters available. I hope to do this in the future, it should be less trouble than disassembling and reconfiguring modules from an EV pack.

Also, great advice on shopping for wrecked Leafs--I have been looking at the Copar auctions...mow I know better.
Copart can work, I got a Promaster van there. Check if the seller is an insurance company, they may list that info. Check if the vehicle has been previously auctioned.

This is getting to be very doable for a non expert.

https://github.com/dalathegreat/Battery-Emulator
Exactly. My crazy project, the donor leaf propulsion system into salvage promaster van, I'm wondering about skipping the typical 12v or 48v solar, battery & inverter power setup. Instead, have only the traction battery, and use a hybrid HV battery inverter to directly provide 240/230v AC, and to take solar power directly to the traction battery even while driving. When parked, ac couple back to grid.

Amazingly, it does work. It is very complicated how it's set up, both AC and DC coupled. The complexity is fun and a tradeoff for using whatever good components were available, and really cheap. This album has diagrams of how it's set up now. https://photos.app.goo.gl/q1euFhioH266nPvW9 Initially, it was components from a DC Solar trailer, SI6048US inverters, wired like the trailer but installed in the garage. Later added the Leaf modules, discharging via microinverters. There are lots of people with DIY systems, poke around diysolarforum.com.
AC coupling the Leaf batteries is a great idea. Solves a lot of problems with reusing old EV batteries. I like the idea of using old lithium ion traction batteries to increase storage--I just don't want them in my buildings. But a pile of batteries in a shed, with a nearby array, that feed the SIs via a small 220 (or 110 with a used autotransformer) volt line... that is safe and cheap. Just add a charge controller, some second hand panels, and a BMS. What a cool way to get some old EV batteries and used solar panels back in the game.

Yep, I purchased some of the stock from the solar trailer debacle as well. Also, built my first SI system back when the 5048s came out--and its still running. Watch the balance on the big lead acids--I have installed the Victron balancers after losing a bank to imbalances.

Last edited:
Copart can work, I got a Promaster van there. Check if the seller is an insurance company, they may list that info. Check if the vehicle has been previously auctioned.
^^^THIS
I acquired my 40kWh pack from a Copart auction (and it was sold by an insurance company).
Like all things--buyer beware--but Copart can be a good source for salvaged Leafs (albeit a bit more $$).

What does it take to buy cars from Copart? Does a person need to be a licensed dealer or something?
Depends on the state (and the laws in that state); it ranges from "any individual" (like I was in Texas) to "dealers only" (the majority of states). use the Copart website as a starting point.

Back