BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Would there be any reason why I could not use two NEMA 14-50R outlets (at an RV park) and combine them into one box for 100 amp service ?
It's possible - but not trivial to do it safely - someone over on the Tesla forums built a device that let's him do it so he can charge his Roadster at it's max of 70A instead of 40A on a single 14-50R.

I'll see if I can dig up the post, but in a nutshell he did this to make sure it's done safely:

1. Build a device similar to Easy240 that parallels 2 NEMA 14-50R outlets. Need to do this since often the phases are typically different on adjacent outlets in RV parks which would short the outlets if paralleled which would not make you popular with the host!

2. Use a high quality current meter on each leg for monitoring. If one outlet has significantly different resistance than the other one outlet can end up pulling more current than the other and you trip a breaker.

3. Initially start charging at 40A and make sure current on each outlet has similar current, then ramp up the current while monitoring current for any significant imbalance.

drees said:
1. Build a device similar to Easy240 that parallels 2 NEMA 14-50R outlets. Need to do this since often the phases are typically different on adjacent outlets in RV parks which would short the outlets if paralleled which would not make you popular with the host!

Not sure I'm following you. If an Easy240 type device parallels, and parallel can short things, what exactly are you suggesting I need to do?

2. Use a high quality current meter on each leg for monitoring. If one outlet has significantly different resistance than the other one outlet can end up pulling more current than the other and you trip a breaker.

Ok, but how about just putting a 40 amp beaker on each leg, so that it should pop my breaker before the RV park breaker at 50 amps? I should be able to pull 35-38 amps (70-76 total) with this setup (about 18kW)

3. Initially start charging at 40A and make sure current on each outlet has similar current, then ramp up the current while monitoring current for any significant imbalance.

Absolutely on the ramp up!

TonyWilliams said:
Herm said:
as long as the polarity is right :eek:
Ok, how will I guarantee that? Is there a 14-50 polarity tester, or do I need to make one?

Just measure AC Volts across the same slot of each 240V socket.. should be zero or close. Safer if you used a device that automatically kept track of it, used a safety relay with breakers etc. Ask Enginier to design you one.

And ....

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8661-Adapter-to-combine-two-30A-level2-into-one-60A-J1772-faster-charging/page2?p=143755&viewfull=1#post143755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFer said:
Thanks, that's the post I was referring to...

TonyWilliams said:
Not sure I'm following you. If an Easy240 type device parallels, and parallel can short things, what exactly are you suggesting I need to do?
An Easy240 combines 2 sides of a split-phase 120V outlet into a single 240V outlet. This "EasyParallel240" parallels 2 single-phase 240 without risk of connecting opposite splits together which would result in a short.

Remember your 120V split-phase outlet has a hot (L1 or L2) and a neutral - the hot can be either L1 or L2 of the single phase feed. The Easy240 only gives you 240V by making sure each 120V outlet you're plugged into is has separate hots.

The EasyParallel240 would prevent you from connecting L1 to L2 since you have no way of knowing which split-phase is connected to each terminal unless you get a volt-meter out and measure the voltage across each line. You want to parallel the lines which have 0V across them, and not to parallel the lines which have 240V across them.

Ok, but how about just putting a 40 amp beaker on each leg, so that it should pop my breaker before the RV park breaker at 50 amps? I should be able to pull 35-38 amps (70-76 total) with this setup (about 18kW)
That would help but depending on the breaker you're not guaranteed to pop the 40A breakers before the 50A breaker since the point at which each breaker trips is not exact but is variable depending on a number of factors. If you did that and also monitored voltage that might be a viable alternative to monitoring current - and you probably want to monitor voltage anyway.

TonyWilliams said:

I may have this wrong, but my understanding is 240 is the potential between the 2 out-of-phase hot wires. So the current is flowing from one to the other. There's no imbalance. There's only 1 path for current and both wires experience the same load.

If you then parallel 2 phase1 hots and parallel 2 phase2 hots and let current flow between those 2 pairs then there are multiple possible current paths and one may pull more current than the other.

Whoever may wish to caravan with me in Orange County on Wed, June 13, can meet me at either the Laguna Beach Chargepoint chargers mid morning or the Chargepoint chargers at the Tesla store in Newport Beach.

Times to be announced. My next stop will be the DC charger in Cypress.

TonyWilliams said:
Whoever may wish to caravan with me in Orange County on Wed, June 13, can meet me at either the Laguna Beach Chargepoint chargers mid morning or the Chargepoint chargers at the Tesla store in Newport Beach.

Times to be announced. My next stop will be the DC charger in Cypress.

I'm in. Checking with the local LEAF group to see if anyone else is free to join us.

I'm happy to report that the Big Sur coast is now equipped with a 240v dryer outlet at the Winery in San Simeon, California.

So, a little taste testing at ocean front property while the car charges.

TonyWilliams said:
I'm happy to report that the Big Sur coast is now equipped with a 240v dryer outlet at the Winery in San Simeon, California.

So, a little taste testing at ocean front property while the car charges.
Excellent. When you're there you might want to mention that wineries in the Napa Valley have been some of the first businesses to install L2 chargers for customers - see Recargo.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
KeiJidosha said:
WOW!
"Green Race 3.2 allows you to plot a course between two or more locations and predict how much energy your car will use en-route. "
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076593_green-race-website-helps-electric-car-drives-plan-range

We can do that with the LEAF Energy app for iPhone/iPad; /quote]

But there isn't any LE Android version, so the Swiss one is good!
Good luck on your trip. Awesome LEAF graphics!

Thanks. They printed it tonight, and I drop off the black LEAF in the morning for their magic.

TonyWilliams said:
What things should I record on the trip?

Tony, if you're talking about shooting video along the way, I'd be interested in helping you put it together when you return. I have a video production company in Bankers Hill (http://www.imageworks.tv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I also have connections at NBC 7 San Diego if you wanted to try to get some coverage when you begin the trek (although it may be too short a notice). If interested, send a press-release type of thing to craig at imageworks.tv.

I'll be at the meeting tomorrow if you want to discuss further. An awesome undertaking!

cbiwww said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony, if you're talking about shooting video along the way, I'd be interested in helping you put it together when you return. I have a video production company in Bankers Hill (http://www.imageworks.tv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I also have connections at NBC 7 San Diego if you wanted to try to get some coverage when you begin the trek (although it may be too short a notice). If interested, send a press-release type of thing to craig at imageworks.tv.

I'll be at the meeting tomorrow if you want to discuss further. An awesome undertaking!

Awesome offer. I plan to upload video nightly, but a real post production might be really cool. See ya en la mañana.

cracovian said:
TonyWilliams said:

Definitely visits to topless car washes! You have to keep the car clean and presentable.

Yes, I'll be looking for them. Nothing like middle age men who are topless at the car wash.

I was thinking more like a spreadsheet of data:

Date - departure - arrival - actual miles covered - total time - average speed - battery % - ambient temp - battery temp - etc

TonyWilliams said:

Date - departure - arrival - actual miles covered - total time - average speed - battery % - ambient temp - battery temp - etc
+1. A blog of your trip like Randy's would be entertaining to go along with the data...

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:

+1. A blog of your trip like Randy's would be entertaining to go along with the data...

Yes, we have a blog set up. And twitter (which I have no idea what's going on there). And GPS live tracking.

Got some shirts today:

a72cebcc.jpg

Back