Best bang for the buck CHAdeMO charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lion

Since Nissan is moving in 'Turtle mode' speed when it comes to installing quick chargers in my home state, I have been approaching businesses interested in joining my ChargeNY EV effort, and see if I can do something about this myself.

Several times now, I have thrown around the suggestion of installing a QC in order to really stand out, and surprisingly, I have gotten some interest.

So I started thinking, assuming I can get them to agree to install a CHAdeMO QC, what unit offers the most bang for the buck? I don't have any experience with QCs , so hopefully you guys can share your experiences. If you happen to know MSRP, and how to get the price lower, that would be useful as well. Thanks :)

Andromeda Power is a growing company in the field of innovative green energy solutions in response to our global environmental and energy crisis. Our current projects include "ORCA-Air", "ORCA-Rescue" and "ORCA-Mobile", which are quick and compact "DC Level 3 Chargers" for CHAdeMO© Electrical Vehicles (EV) to be installed in both indoor and outdoor environments.

You can buy a QC unit that may be cheaper (like the Nissan unit), but it may not have access control or billing capabilities out of the box. Or you can spend more and get those features built-in or added on. If the unit only operated from 480v 3-phase power is that okay or does it need to operate from 208v 3-phase? Cheaper units like the Nissan/Sumitomo unit only take 480v input power, but the more expensive units have different input capabilities....

Lots of products out there....

Fuji Electric is based in New Jersey, and we are operating the first one of their DC charger in the USA on 208 volts here in southern California. It is limited to 25kW which saves on impact to the grid and the host's power bill.

They're about $30k, and I recommend them. You can tell them I sent you.

The Nissan / Sumitomo unit offered by AeroVironment seems mostly solid... probably about $25k with all the options needed.

There are LOTS more out there. Don't get mixed up with Blink / Ecotality !!!

Definitely avoiding Blink, thanks for the reminder.

I'm pretty sure this 1 company already has 480V 3-phase power, as he mentioned their rooftop AC units run on this type of power.

As for billing, I don't think it's going to be an issue, but it's something I'll have to verify.

I'm assuming there is no unit on the market which has 2 handles (but can charge 1 at a time)? I wonder if Nissan would be interested in funding some of the QC, since it would obviously benefit them as well.

lion said:
... I wonder if Nissan would be interested in funding some of the QC, since it would obviously benefit them as well.
Couldn't hurt to ask, I suppose. So far, they've only put them in at dealerships.

I would say, even before you ask Nissan, is to make sure that the host knows what they are really in for, cost-wise, for the installation and ongoing operating costs...

Back