BLACKOUT CARWINGS Event

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcarmich

I love my LEAF!

But hate the blasted Accept/Deny button press everytime I get into my car. As a form of protest I have started a Blackout Carwings event.

I keep posing the question to all Nissan representatives, and get the same message of "Privacy issues" prevents them from getting rid of this message. but they are working on a solution.

On Nov 23, 2012 do not accept the terms and conditions page for Carwings when you start your car.

This is to let Nissan know how much that question bothers us. This will make their data collection go dark.

Who's In??

Facebook Event

http://www.facebook.com/events/439296326106199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok, it might be a good idea since it will let them know truly how many people read this and are annoyed by it, but how did you choose that day? Any particular reason?

And I have to admit, I thought that when I read the title you were about to complain about all the carwings downtime. I've noticed that it has been very finicky lately.

Nice. A Carwings Blackout for Black Friday! I wonder if the car will buffer a couple days’ worth of data between transmitting? Would that make the protest unnoticed?

For a one day protest, I’m in. If it is longer, I’ll have to wait until after my EVProject contract expires at the new year.

kcarmich said:
On Nov 23, 2012 do not accept the terms and conditions page for Carwings when you start your car.

This is to let Nissan know how much that question bothers us. This will make their data collection go dark.
And then the next time you click on "Ok", they'll receive all the missing info anyhow. In order for this to be successful, you would need everyone to promise to never hit "Ok" ever again.

DarkStar said:
kcarmich said:

And then the next time you click on "Ok", they'll receive all the missing info anyhow. In order for this to be successful, you would need everyone to promise to never hit "Ok" ever again.

that would be wrong. i declined for a week last summer and that information is still blank. either way, i have already opted in at FB, but i will do so here as well, i am in.

DarkStar said:

Exactly. I just confirmed this behavior (by chance) since I had to call Nissan to "re-start" my CarWings data reporting, and turning it back on immediately dumped the last 7 days' worth of data the next time I started my car.

I hate pressing "ok" just as much as the next guy, but Nissan has "asked and answered" this question a million times, and I'm not sure I want to lose another week's worth of data just to prove a known point. Andy Palmer alluded to the fact (in his recent interview) that they were working on alternatives that would pass the "lawyer test"--probably the same lawyers who are going to have to deal with that lawsuit recently filed in CA.

If you don't press "OK", that driving session ("trip") definitely does not get saved... even if you hit "OK" the next time you drive. This is why DaveinOlyWA still has the hole in his data.

I use this as a feature, since I don't want minor moves like me moving my car out of the garage into the driveway polluting my trip log. I don't press OK for these moves.

This is different than the car failing to upload data to Nissan; your car will cache a few days worth of data (if you press OK, of course) until it can successfully do a transmission.

I'm in.

I think blacking out data for few days and then going back is enough to prompt them to move faster. I didn't find Andy Palmer's statements particularly compelling. Seems the rest of the world/web can use a checkbox that says "don't ask me a again but give me a setting in a menu to change later" approach.

As for whether it will work, I can also confirm it will:

grommet said:
If you don't press "OK", that driving session ("trip") definitely does not get saved... even if you hit "OK" the next time you drive. This is why DaveinOlyWA still has the hole in his data.

I use this as a feature, since I don't want minor moves like me moving my car out of the garage into the driveway polluting my trip log. I don't press OK for these moves.

This is different than the car failing to upload data to Nissan; your car will cache a few days worth of data (if you press OK, of course) until it can successfully do a transmission.

I can confirm this as well, it will hold some data if you press OK and lose connectivity it caches some, but if you hit cancel it won't.

My bad: I didn't understand the question. I now realize that it will NOT cache the data (forget about losing connectivity) if you press "cancel".

I'm in.

Count me in too. Please link the Facebook event (earlier: "...either way, i have already opted in at FB...") in the first post so people will see it, and so I can "join" and be reminded! Of course, some of us have tunnel-vision past November 6th... anything I see past election day is kinda like... "oh god, will the planet still be in one piece a week from then?" :lol:

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I doubt anyone at Nissan would even notice. The data probably just gets fed into a database for future mining. At some future point some analyst *might* notice a blip in the data and shrug their shoulders.

Nubo said:
Sorry to be a wet blanket but I doubt anyone at Nissan would even notice. The data probably just gets fed into a database for future mining. At some future point some analyst *might* notice a blip in the data and shrug their shoulders.

then maybe we should do it EVERY Friday. they have already acknowledged the problem and it sounds like it has to be something negotiated with their 3rd party telematics partner. after all, this "giving up our privacy" thing is so pervasive in our society today its become an oxymoron

Nubo said:
Sorry to be a wet blanket but I doubt anyone at Nissan would even notice.
They already noticed us complaining here, and said they view it as a problem. News organizations will notice and cover the event, and Nissan will notice that.

Before we can post the event to Facebook though, we'll have to agree to the Facebook privacy policy. Let's see, we have to do that what, every two weeks? Every time Facebook changes the policy? How about Google? I have to agree to its privacy policy every couple of weeks or so. I have to agree to bank privacy policies every time they change - about once a year. Same with credit card privacy policies, and then agreement constitutes continuing to use the card. Most web sites have a privacy policy you can find if you look hard enough, and you signal your agreement with the policy by using the web site. In fact there is only one company that makes me explicitly agree to its privacy policy each and every time I use its product or service, and that's Nissan.

I'm in.

i am totally fine with the button. i press it as part of the get going routine, or down the street a tad as i tune the radio.
no big deal.
not a problem.
sharing the data--part of the price for the 10k+ off the price from state and feds.

UPDATED
----------
"sharing data' part of the intellectual and psychological price......

thankyouOB said:
i am totally fine with the button. i press it as part of the get going routine, or down the street a tad as i tune the radio.
no big deal.
not a problem.
sharing the data--part of the price for the 10k+ off the price from state and feds.

sharing data is not required to get the discounts right? i share data because i am hoping Nissan is using the info to build a better LEAF and charging infrastructure (i guess they would have to share some of that data which is normal status quo to provide data in bulk format so as to not personally identify my travel patterns)

grommet said:
No, sharing the data is not "required"... unless you are part of the EV Project, like I am.
Even beyond the EV Project I want to share the data with DOE, for any possibility it may make the infrastructure better, and with Nissan, for any possibility it may make the car better.

What I object to is having to agree to this several times a day when every other company only has to ask my agreement once every few weeks or once a year. It's not a big annoyance to me, but it is glaringly stupid - an ugly flaw in a beautiful car. And it's clearly unnecessary. Nissan's lawyers are just more rabid than the lawyers of those hundreds of other companies with more customer friendly privacy policy procedures. I just want Nissan's lawyers to wake up and look at what the rest of the world is doing, or for Nissan to trade their lawyers for some better ones.

walterbays said:
What I object to is having to agree to this several times a day when every other company only has to ask my agreement once every few weeks or once a year. It's not a big annoyance to me, but it is glaringly stupid - an ugly flaw in a beautiful car. And it's clearly unnecessary. Nissan's lawyers are just more rabid than the lawyers of those hundreds of other companies with more customer friendly privacy policy procedures. I just want Nissan's lawyers to wake up and look at what the rest of the world is doing, or for Nissan to trade their lawyers for some better ones.

THIS

This is exactly what ticks me off about the Carwings thing, and why I'm interested in "sending a message" to Nissan that they need more product-competent lawyers. It's outright ridiculous that they didn't think of any better option to cover their arse there. If they'd put more thought into that system, they could have found a legit way to make the "accept" screen a one-time thing, or at least a much less pervasive annoyance. FFS, it's not even a serious warning, it's just saying "you agree to share information with us". Whoop-dee-flippin'-doo.

If I signed up for Carwings, I accepted their terms on the website - don't need to keep reminding me, and the car knows who I am! That's just one of many possible solutions. Nissan just needs to pick a solution and use it.

Back