Blink and Ikea

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pic, TRONZ. I took some today with my iPhone but yours is way better.

I stopped by since I was "in the neighborhood" in Costa Mesa today, and got some lunch and a few free kWhs. I may be half blind, well let's face it, I am, but I had to circle the lot a few times til I found them. I started looking along the exterior walls of the IKEA, but those were all handicapped and loading zone. I finally found them on my second circuit of the lot, near the main handicapped area, but across the driving lane in the lot.

I've had a Blink card for months, ever since they were sending them out for free after the big unveiling at Balboa Park, but I was never near a Blink station until today. No fuss, no muss, just scan the card and the unit says that you can plug in. It shows almost no information except that you are charging and how much time has elapsed since you started charging. I didn't notice whether it showed total kWh used when I stopped charging. I tried swiping my card to end charging, like I do with the ChargePoint units, but the unit didn't react when I did that, so I just unplugged it. Returning the J connector to the unit isn't very slick. I prefer the ChargePoint again, because the J plug clicks into a holster. With the Blink, you just have to shove the end of the J plug up into the center of the round cord reel and push the cable into the slot at the bottom of the reel to hold everything in place. Not reassuring if, like me, you want to be respectful of the infrastructure and leave everything as neat or neater than you found it. Also, IMHO the Blink J plugs are going to be more susceptible to vandalism and theft than the ChargePoint ones, because of the latter's automated holster.

I went to the Blink website to see if there was a record of my kWh used today, but it said that I have no reports available(????). Chargepoint not only shows your kWh usage in real time and at the end of your charge, but you can also get an immediate report on their website. So far, a thumbs up for Chargepoint from me, but I'm not looking a gift Blink in the mouth. Happy to have some Blinks in Orange County.

Lastly, as I pulled in to the parking spot, a white LEAF with a nice tint job pulled up in the adjacent space and I got to meet Matt and a couple of his friends who were also charging for the first time at IKEA. Matt has had his LEAF for just four weeks, and he said that we'll see him at the Santa Ana HTB meetup tomorrow morning. Nice encounter. I also gave him a printout of Tony's range chart, since Matt was talking about wanting to drive his LEAF toward San Diego sometime.

I also got some attention from two different couples who spotted me unplugging my LEAF and were curious. I spent a good ten minutes answering questions and they all seemed interested and somewhat impressed with the LEAF. My take home message is that the best place to do some "EVangelism" is at charging stations, where the LEAF really does look different from your average Mazda 3 to the casual passerby.

Boomer, good observation of the units. I have not been able to use one yet but after a quick study was also a little concerned about their "wand management" strategy. Time will tell.

So I made the trip to LAX from around the Huntington Beach pier and made it back with 16 miles showing (2 bars left).

Started out with 100% charge (101 miles estimate showing). Drove to LAX going mostly 55-60 mph on the freeways. By the time I got to IKEA in Carson, I had only used about 3 bars. Decided to top off there around 9:30pm after they had already closed for about 20 mins while I grabbed Starbucks across the street. There is a huge mall, Chili's, Target, and other entertainment and shopping in the area. So this is a good location, especially, since it's just off the I-405. There are 4 Blink stations there (1 in the handicapped spot) right across the island in front of the main entrance.

By the time I got to LAX, the 5th bar had just turned off. Picked up my passengers and drove back to Huntington Beach going mostly 65mph on the freeway with occasional 70mph. When I pulled into the garage, there were 2 bars left (16 miles estimated). So could have made the round trip without really stopping anywhere.

For those making the trip from South Orange County or San Diego area to Los Angeles, the IKEA Carson and IKEA Costa Mesa are excellent 24/7 locations.

so I'm at ikea costa mesa now and still no blink card a week after the request. confirmed that blink cant/wont start charging remotely. i dont really need the charge, but if anyone with a blink card happens to be here could you give me a swipe?

edit: no charge to be had but at least it was a good parking spot! and maybe it was good for lay-folk to at least see an ev parked there...

Haha I did leave a note with my MNL id on it and thought of that very thread as I did it. I figured it'd be ok to take the spot since there are 3 and none were occupied, and - as I hinted at - I tend to follow the philosophy that it's good for the general public to see that there are actually EVs out there to use these spots. Unlike Chargepoint, Blink lets you take the nozzle out of the holster without swiping your card, so at least I was plugged in for the sake of appearances and GM-sponsored legislation, if not actually charging.

fooljoe said:
Haha I did leave a note with my MNL id on it and thought of that very thread as I did it. I figured it'd be ok to take the spot since there are 3 and none were occupied, and - as I hinted at - I tend to follow the philosophy that it's good for the general public to see that there are actually EVs out there to use these spots. Unlike Chargepoint, Blink lets you take the nozzle out of the holster without swiping your card, so at least I was plugged in for the sake of appearances and GM-sponsored legislation, if not actually charging.

That is so funny as I did the same thing last week. While I was taking my pics of the stations, a couple walked by and commented "no one uses them". Ratz, no Blink card! I quickly relocated the LEAF to the spaces and "plugged in" anyways. Funny thing is that it then showed up on the Blink App as in use but wasn't really. I don't even want to know what kind of "data" Ecotality is collecting on EV's. I can almost guarantee it has little to do with reality. Glad to see Nissan has partnered up with ChargePoint.

TRONZ said:
Funny thing is that it then showed up on the Blink App as in use but wasn't really. I don't even want to know what kind of "data" Ecotality is collecting on EV's. I can almost guarantee it has little to do with reality.
Ecotality keeps track of how long a vehicle is plugged along with how much of that time is spent charging and how much energy is drawn during that time. Important to know when a vehicle is plugged in compared to plugged in and charging because that will influence decisions on future V2G design decisions.

drees said:
TRONZ said:
Funny thing is that it then showed up on the Blink App as in use but wasn't really. I don't even want to know what kind of "data" Ecotality is collecting on EV's. I can almost guarantee it has little to do with reality.
Ecotality keeps track of how long a vehicle is plugged along with how much of that time is spent charging and how much energy is drawn during that time. Important to know when a vehicle is plugged in compared to plugged in and charging because that will influence decisions on future V2G design decisions.

I actually think this is great because it tells you that a (plug in) car is occupying the spot. I still think CP needs to add this Status feature to its App.

TRONZ said:
I actually think this is great because it tells you that a (plug in) car is occupying the spot. I still think CP needs to add this Status feature to its App.
CP does tell you when a station is in use, or do you mean that with Blink you can tell if someone is plugged in but not actually charging? What would be really useful is a sensor of some kind that could tell you if any car is occupying the spot, charging or not. I've seen such things in the Century City mall, so it couldn't be that hard.

Back to Ikea, I still can't get over how ridiculous it is that they put these stations in and don't at least have some access cards to hand out to people inside, which is compounded with the ridiculousness of Blink not being able to activate the charge over the phone, especially in the middle of non-EV Project OC. The girl I talked to in the lobby didn't even know that the stations were installed and working already, so of course had no clue at all about access cards.

I went to a restaurant here in DFW that had a blink charger, and the hostess gave me their card to get a charge, and a card for me to activate via the web. I will be going back there! (Whiskey Cake Kitchen and Bar on the North Dallas Tollway). Also some of the Twin Peaks have Blink chargers.

We went to the Ikea in Costa Mesa for the second time yesterday, avoiding the Black Friday crowds at the bigger mall-types. Enjoyed lunch in their cafeteria, which included free kids meals as one of their post-Thanksgiving specials. Got a 1+ hr charge with one of their Blinks. No other Leafs arrived during our stay. No ICE'd EV spots, unlike our first trip when a lady sat in the passenger seat of a Mercedes, engine running, manning the car while her partner moseyed around in the store, and she browsed the internet on her iPhone. :roll:

Ikea cafe uses real (non-disposable) tableware, glassware and utensils. Once before, I had asked where to find the straws. I was told, "Sorry, no straws. We are environmentally friendly." Oh, but of course, what with the solar PV panels, EV charging, minimal packaging, and all ....

As we were leaving the cafe, we noticed a kiosk/terminal for sharing comments with management. I made a point to thank them for being environmental conscious and for supporting the EV community by providing the Blink EVSE's. We, not coincidentally, managed to leave with a few doodads for the kids and me.

Well, I need to go to IKEA, and still NO BLINK card in the mail a couple of weeks after registering "on the blink" website. Why couldn't IKEA have gone with Chargepoint?

JimSouCal said:
Well, I need to go to IKEA, and still NO BLINK card in the mail a couple of weeks after registering "on the blink" website. Why couldn't IKEA have gone with Chargepoint?

Don't worry... when/if you get the card, you now get to spin the roulette wheel as to whether the EVSE will work or not.

JimSouCal said:
They are notoriously slow. Try calling - that is how I finally got a card.

Bill

JimSouCal said:
Ditto on the Blink sentiments. I have Kataphn to thank for sharing her extra Blink card with me. If not for her kindness, I would still be without one, despite ordering it in June 2011, and a few phone calls since then to inquire. I don't favor the Blink screens, which are difficult to read in the sunlight, and the cord take-up spool and nozzle integration is not well designed.

On the other hand, the Chargepoint units just work. I use the Chargepoint L1/L2 bollard-types nearly every workday. I like the LED scroll and display, the session charge time and charge rate read-out, the nozzle lock and unlock mechanism, and the J1772 nozzle itself. Plus, the www.mychargepoint.net has logs of historical charge times and charge rates for each session. (*)

EDIT: I checked the Blink website. My account says, "Your requested RFID card has been mailed. Please activate upon receipt." WTH?! I've never received an RFID card from them. :roll:

TonyWilliams said:
Don't worry... when/if you get the card, you now get to spin the roulette wheel as to whether the EVSE will work or not.
Roger that. My wife took the kids and another friend and her daughter to Balboa Park Wednesday, and tried to use one of the Blinks there. Got me on the phone, because she couldn't get it to work. Called Blink, they couldn't reset it, asked her to move to another, which she did, and that worked.
JPVLeaf said:
On the other hand, the Chargepoint units just work.
Well, the only one I've ever seen personally, in Seal Beach, was on the fritz, so they can have their bad days.

kevin672 said:
fooljoe said:
Do blink stations not have a number you can call to initiate charging without the access card, as with Chargepoint? I just requested a card but was thinking about stopping by the Carson location for lunch today...
This must be an attempt at humor. The ability to turn on a station remotely with a phone call would be a forward looking, feature rich device. EcoTality and Blink have won many awards for how pretty their stuff is, but I believe that's the only kind of awards they'll be winning.

Well, then I guess ECOtality is forward looking and has a rich device because the one I used in Phoenix had a phone number on it that said if you didn't have an RFID card or left it at home, to call that number and they would activate the charging station for you.
I believe you are mistaken Kevin as they definitely get an 'award' for this and you need to eat some 'crow'. ;)

Well, as others have pointed out, they got their name right I suppose. Would IKEA have had the same incentive to use Chargepoint for the rollout? If I understand the matters correctly, BLINK took government funds. Perhaps their should have been a performance contingency?

LEAFfan said:
Well, then I guess ECOtality is forward looking and has a rich device because the one I used in Phoenix had a phone number on it that said if you didn't have an RFID card or left it at home, to call that number and they would activate the charging station for you.
Just want to reiterate that this is NOT possible at the Ikea in Costa Mesa I attempted, and probably the same with other Blinks in SoCal. I guess things must be different in Phoenix somehow. For the record, I did call the number on the Blink and explained that I had requested an RFID card several weeks prior but still had not received it and asked if he could start the charge remotely, but he indicated that was not in his power.

Also, he said that my address was not on record even though I clearly remember entering it on their website when I made the request, so he corrected that and assured me the card was on its way. So perhaps some problem with the web request form is the reason for some of the delays people have reported getting their cards. Then again, one week later and still nothing...

Back