BLINK: Firmware will not update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafnode said:
Magically, after another power cycle (reset breaker) and an hour wait, it it now running L2R.1.3A. The odd thing is the log stills has the same series of errors and the local Blink time remains off when configured for 'auto'.
Is it 'normal' to see a series of log message pairs where one says it is requesting new firmware followed by one stating that no firmware was found? My entire log is full of these.

So, I just found out what was "special" about my case. Apparently, the unit that I got has "bad firmware" and SD card needs to be updated with the latest one which can be done by technician only.

HIOJim said:
leafnode said:
Magically, after another power cycle (reset breaker) and an hour wait, it it now running L2R.1.3A. The odd thing is the log stills has the same series of errors and the local Blink time remains off when configured for 'auto'.
Is it 'normal' to see a series of log message pairs where one says it is requesting new firmware followed by one stating that no firmware was found? My entire log is full of these.

L2R.1.2A was indeed phoning home every 15 minutes looking for new firmware. I haven't looked at the log yet to see if 3A has the same high frequency.

wsbca said:
HIOJim said:
leafnode said:

L2R.1.2A was indeed phoning home every 15 minutes looking for new firmware. I haven't looked at the log yet to see if 3A has the same high frequency.

My .3A firmware is calling every 13-14 minutes looking for new firmware.

Jimmydreams said:
My .3A firmware is calling every 13-14 minutes looking for new firmware.
Completely mental. That will put such a burden on their backend when they have thousands of these out there. Once a day would have been PLENTY often for something like that.

One thing I thought of....

My log doesn't say "sending data to ECOtality", or something similiar. But if you log into the Blink network, there is all of your charging data. So are the 13-14 minute firmware calls also uploading data to populate the website?

My Blink is on the blink.
It would not find my wifi network though I could standing next to it with my laptop.
It finally found and then dropped that signal. Then, found it again via manual entering the network name.
But it could not fully process that to completion.
I finally pulled the interrupter on the bottom as I dont have the car yet.
It did say I could charge.

so HERE IS THE QUERY:
If it says you can charge but it wont contact wifi, can you charge your Leaf?
As much as I want EVProject to get what they paid for, I figure they will work it out.
I want to know if I can charge.
Anyone know the answer?

DarkStar said:
thankyouOB said:
If it says you can charge but it wont contact wifi, can you charge your Leaf?
Yes, my Blink keeps dropping it's wireless connection but my car has charged every night without issue.

grazie.
I just got a new cisco router e3000 and a motorola surfboard 6120 modem to be sure this thing would have some wifi juice. but it doesnt seem to be up to snuff.
hardwire is coming.

thankyouOB said:
I just got a new cisco router e3000 and a motorola surfboard 6120 modem to be sure this thing would have some wifi juice. but it doesnt seem to be up to snuff.
hardwire is coming.
You'll like the 3000. I have a few friends that have upgraded to it. Right now I'm using a Netgear WNR3500L as my primary router and for 802.11n wireless networking and a Netgear WGR614 for 802.11b/g wireless networking. I'm sure my neighbors hate me for taking up all the wifi spectrum... :D

Our Blink has been working fine, but last week around the time of the firmware release it was unresponsive with a weird error message. Since then, the system is trying to download the new firmware package (L2R.1.7A) every 15 minutes. When I cycle the power I get this error message:

Aug 23 01:10:25 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).
Aug 23 01:09:28 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1850]: All firmware downloads complete
Aug 23 01:09:28 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1850]: File 1 download complete
Aug 23 01:09:24 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1850]: Processing file D /v/d/648/L2R.1.6A-L2R.1.7A.tar.gz N fff98b7fec0d27401d06fa94894e32c2
Aug 23 01:09:24 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1850]: Calling server for firmware download
Aug 23 01:07:26 evse2 user.notice core.out: killall: sshd: no process killed

Four seconds hardly seems long enough to download the package, but it had connected for longer than that once, so maybe it just checks the file is there? Any ideas?

It took 3 days before my Blink decided it had downloaded the file after the logs appeared to download the same file every 15 minutes. Each download took about 10 seconds. I have to wonder if it's just downloading a bit of it at a time.

If you're worried about it, contact Blink and they will get you updated manually. Otherwise give it a bit more time.

If you want to update it yourself (which is what I did and takes all of 15 seconds), PM me with your email address and I can email you the 1.7A file.

After another four second connection this morning, Blink re-booted to the new firmware L2R.1.7A. Of course after processing all the files, the same minikit ad loop error appears, weird.

solartim said:
Of course after processing all the files, the same minikit ad loop error appears, weird.
It's doing a check to see if you have a public "commerical" unit or a private "residential" setup. We get the ad-loop errors, while the public ones get... ads... :D

My Blink was installed yesterday. It connected to my network on the first try and charged my car fine during the test. Then some time yesterday afternoon it displayed a screen saying it was updating the firmware. I plugged it in after dinner and the message was still there. This morning I checked it and it still had that message and did not charge the car. I forced a reboot and it came up on the normal screen and allowed me to charge the car. I missed the off-peak rates, but I'm OK on the charge for now. I checked the firmware version and it is "L2R.1.6A". If I have read the threads right it should have updated to 1.7 shouldn't it? How long does that take? Not 12+ hours, I assume. Should I contact Blink or the electrician who installed it or try something myself to force the upgrade?

Mine downloaded the new firmware and updated on the 3rd day by itself, it take a while I guess.

I called Blink and they forced the download through a remote connection. It had not downloaded. However, after rebooting, it still didn't install. I am not in such a hurry for that to happen, but I am not pleased that it decides to go looking for something online instead of charging the car. I don't want to wake up in the morning and find that again it didn't charge overnight like last night.

We never missed a charge during our process, though I turn off the network overnight. I had left the network on one night when we didn't need to charge, thinking that it might download then, but it didn't. I have no idea when ours did the download, or if it really did it in four second pieces.

Check your system log to see what it's doing, it's on the left hand side of the device info screen.

mogur said:
If you want to update it yourself (which is what I did and takes all of 15 seconds), PM me with your email address and I can email you the 1.7A file.

Thanks, Tom ... the manual update from the file you sent me worked just fine ... and as you said, it's quick, too.

-m

Back