Call from Nissan to upgrade : SV can get a QC option now ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Homelink? It's ok, we have it built in on one of our other cars, but it's no different from a clicker.

Ah, but I have to juggle 3 clickers, so it's worth it's weight in gold to me. Plus it frees up my clicker bag (yes, I have a bag in which I keep my clickers organized) for one of the other cars. If Nissan had built it with any less than 3 buttons, it could well have been less worthwhile. But it's like they designed it just for me! :D

Did anyone see this piece in ACE about the Focus not being able to charge as fast as the LEAF, on account of it not getting L3 at all? Could this be a reason for Nissan's change of heart?

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1054649_2012-ford-focus-electric-wont-charge-as-fast-as-nissan-leaf

I got a call from Zack as well. I'm ordering an SL and my car will be build this Friday! Because of this news of 30 DC fast chargers that will be installed around the Bay Area, I said yes to the DC Fast Charge option. Hopefully, it will be worth it. I'm in San Jose. RAQ Sept 29.

trentr said:
I got a call from Zack as well. I'm ordering an SL and my car will be build this Friday! Because of this news of 30 DC fast chargers that will be installed around the Bay Area, I said yes to the DC Fast Charge option. Hopefully, it will be worth it. I'm in San Jose. RAQ Sept 29.
I'm thrilled to hear they are still building LHD cars. :)

All bets are off, SV buyers. Zack called me back and said he made a mistake. SV buyers still cannot get the QC. I can still upgrade to the SL, though, and after discussing price with my dealer (who got back to me very fast and agreed on the price exactly as I expected) I went for the upgrade to SL+QC.

I have now applied to be in the EV project. I do not have an AV installed, so I'm hoping for the free Blink.

drees said:
I wonder if this announcement has something to do with the QC option upgrade:

EV Project expanded to the San Francisco Bay Area

Absolutely. With an entire market area now opened up to this project, Nissan would jump on it in a heartbeat. Though it sounds as if the offer was not truly to upgrade an SV with the QC port. That still does not appear to be in the cards. But Nissan is reaching out to those on the bubble in the bay area to try to include them in this program. Those in the bay area with future delivery dates can probably expect to receive these calls as well - to upgrade to an SL-E to take advantage of a free charge dock. In fact the upgrade to the SL-E will likely be less than the cost of EVSE plus installation, so it would be a net savings.

LEAFguy said:
drees said:
I wonder if this announcement has something to do with the QC option upgrade:

EV Project expanded to the San Francisco Bay Area

Absolutely. With an entire market area now opened up to this project, Nissan would jump on it in a heartbeat. Though it sounds as if the offer was not truly to upgrade an SV with the QC port. That still does not appear to be in the cards. But Nissan is reaching out to those on the bubble in the bay area to try to include them in this program. Those in the bay area with future delivery dates can probably expect to receive these calls as well - to upgrade to an SL-E to take advantage of a free charge dock. In fact the upgrade to the SL-E will likely be less than the cost of EVSE plus installation, so it would be a net savings.
Good point, Ernie!

Do you suppose NIssan might offer those of us in the "new" EVProject area who have ordered SL-QC the opportunity to "convert" to SL-E and charge accordingly? More, what about an actual refund to folks who've actually paid for their QC option!

Inquiring minds want to know. But I'm sure more will be revealed...

Glenn

garygid said:
I believe it was reported that by somebody that they ordered SL+QC and later got into the EVProject, and Nissan was going to refund $700 to him.

I hope that they can do this. My PD (Boardwalk) is looking into it, but I doubt any info will be known until after March :D :D :D

Selected SL because of backup camera (worth $300 to me) and homelink (figured another $100). Not sure about cargo cover, but if it that "shelf" looking like thing over trunk - it's a must have (but probably $100).

So SL is a little overcharged I think.

ANd I'm not taking QCP. I believe if you have to use L3 - you may be better off with ZipCar. L3 charging is not going to be free.

Stunt822 said:
Selected SL because of backup camera (worth $300 to me) and homelink (figured another $100). Not sure about cargo cover, but if it that "shelf" looking like thing over trunk - it's a must have (but probably $100).

So SL is a little overcharged I think.

Don't forget fog lamps and auto-on/off headlamps. ;)

smkettner said:
Yes, I think Nissan should have made the entire roof a solar panel or just skip it
The other features are worth the SL to me

Even making the entire surface of the car "solar panel" would be nearly worthless in terms of driving range. A 1.5 square meter roof can collect about 200W of power. +1kWh in five hours of full sun.

The solar panel is like a lottery ticket: Exciting to people who really don't understand how it works.

I mention it because it's a mild irritant that Nissan would think that their first-year LEAF customers would be so ignorant/uninformed/eco-image-conscious to pay for a 12v solar panel in the roof. We're smarter than that. We'd rather have long-term roof integrity, lower cost, or maybe a cheaper SL option.

Things like auto-headlights and homelink cost very little and are just "held back" as a differentiator for the premium pack. With a little work, Nissan could reduce all three models to one, drop the Solar panel altogether, and bundle the QC port. (I really don't know how much hardware the QC port brings in, but if it's just the port and wire...)

smkettner said:
Yes, I think Nissan should have made the entire roof a solar panel or just skip it
The other features are worth the SL to me

To heavy, too costly, no benefit other then cabin cooling. The 12v charge panel does have a benefit if you park for extended times and also keeps the battery from frequent cycling of the dc/dc when the car is on.

GroundLoop said:
Even making the entire surface of the car "solar panel" would be nearly worthless in terms of driving range. A 1.5 square meter roof can collect about 200W of power. +1kWh in five hours of full sun.
But if my car's going to be sitting in the parking lot all day in the sun anyway, the extra 6.6 miles it would add in a 8 hour day could make the difference between getting home and running out. Although you really shouldn't be cutting it that close. :lol:

MrZorg said:
GroundLoop said:
But if my car's going to be sitting in the parking lot all day in the sun anyway, the extra 6.6 miles it would add in a 8 hour day could make the difference between getting home and running out. Although you really shouldn't be cutting it that close. :lol:
I may be mistaken, but I didn't think the solar panel charged the traction battery, I thought it just affected the 12 volt system. Why would that have any effect on extending range?

Glenn

Back