Call from Nissan to upgrade : SV can get a QC option now ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn said:
MrZorg said:
GroundLoop said:
Even making the entire surface of the car "solar panel" would be nearly worthless in terms of driving range. A 1.5 square meter roof can collect about 200W of power. +1kWh in five hours of full sun.
But if my car's going to be sitting in the parking lot all day in the sun anyway, the extra 6.6 miles it would add in a 8 hour day could make the difference between getting home and running out. Although you really shouldn't be cutting it that close. :lol:
I may be mistaken, but I didn't think the solar panel charged the traction battery, I though it just affected the 12 volt system. Would that have any effect on extending range?

Glenn

You're not mistaken. The question is whether putting PV cells over the entire surface area of the roof, and feeding the output to the traction battery would be useful. I certainly wouldn't mind 5-10 miles of extra clean energy range per (sunny) workday that the car is parked outside, but the cost of integrating that tech robustly into the roof is likely much higher than, say, tacking that same bit of additional area on to a home solar array and then pumping it into the car.

It's under 4 miles in perfect conditions and you need to lug the weight and the expense very high. I realize this is off topic on a thread that started from incorrect info:(

Glenn said:
I may be mistaken, but I didn't think the solar panel charged the traction battery, I though it just affected the 12 volt system. Would that have any effect on extending range?
You're correct, the solar panel is only connected to the 12 volt battery. I guess it would help a little if you're running the climate control since the 12 volt devices will still draw from the battery, but I wouldn't expect any measurable range increase...

DarkStar said:
Glenn said:
You're correct, the solar panel is only connected to the 12 volt battery. I guess it would help a little if you're running the climate control since the 12 volt devices will still draw from the battery, but I wouldn't expect any measurable range increase...

Climate control is off the pack.

EVDRIVER said:
The 12v charge panel does have a benefit if you park for extended times and also keeps the battery from frequent cycling of the dc/dc when the car is on.

This is precisely the misinformation that I blame Nissan for.

Even if the solar panel met 100% of your standing 12v need 7/24, due to being parked in the sun for daylight hours, it still isn't saving you from "frequent cycling".

If you don't drive your car, the DC/DC kicks on once every five days (not so frequent) for about 15 minutes. Note that it does this regardless of whether you have the solar panel or whether you're in sun. It does it anyway.

So the only material difference is how much gets drawn from the DC/DC to top up the 12v lead-acid battery every five days. Compared to traction, the energy cost difference is so close to zero it's inconsequential. If the solar panel was an optional FREE feature, I still wouldn't take it. I'd rather have a flat one-piece roof.

GroundLoop said:
...If the solar panel was an optional FREE feature, I still wouldn't take it. I'd rather have a flat one-piece roof.
I guess I haven't paid enough attention, but isn't the solar panel in the "tailgate?" I didn't think there'd be a difference in the actual roof if the solar panel weren't there. I should go look through some pictures.

Glenn

Rat said:
went for the upgrade to SL+QC.

I have now applied to be in the EV project. I do not have an AV installed, so I'm hoping for the free Blink.
The camera is worth it. Hopefully you'll get into the project and get a Blink. Are there special electrical rates if you do as well?

Glenn said:
GroundLoop said:
...If the solar panel was an optional FREE feature, I still wouldn't take it. I'd rather have a flat one-piece roof.
I guess I haven't paid enough attention, but isn't the solar panel in the "tailgate?" I didn't think there'd be a difference in the actual roof if the solar panel weren't there. I should go look through some pictures.

I went back and looked at my pictures, and you're right Glenn.. it's the top of the tailgate and not the roof itself. I found a picture of the tailgate open, solar panel turned sideways.

I feel a little better about it now. :)

GroundLoop said:
EVDRIVER said:
The 12v charge panel does have a benefit if you park for extended times and also keeps the battery from frequent cycling of the dc/dc when the car is on.

This is precisely the misinformation that I blame Nissan for.

Even if the solar panel met 100% of your standing 12v need 7/24, due to being parked in the sun for daylight hours, it still isn't saving you from "frequent cycling".

If you don't drive your car, the DC/DC kicks on once every five days (not so frequent) for about 15 minutes. Note that it does this regardless of whether you have the solar panel or whether you're in sun. It does it anyway.

So the only material difference is how much gets drawn from the DC/DC to top up the 12v lead-acid battery every five days. Compared to traction, the energy cost difference is so close to zero it's inconsequential. If the solar panel was an optional FREE feature, I still wouldn't take it. I'd rather have a flat one-piece roof.

I would prefer it was wired directly to a fan that vented the cabin when hot but it's even too small for that. If the DC/DC comes on every five days then it's just eye candy. It would simply slightly extend the useful life of the 12v battery but that's about it.

Before ordering, I thought about what the SL features would be worth to me. Here were my rough guesses:

• $000 solar panel spoiler
  • $100 rearview monitor
  • $000 cargo cover
  • $000 fog lamps
  • $050 auto on/off headlamps
  • $000 HomeLink® universal transceiver
  • $000 Ability to get the QC

Obviously I went for the SV. Here was my rationale:

• I considered the solar panel a joke
  • I never look at the rear view monitor when I drive my wife's Prius, but she says she likes it.
  • I felt the cargo cover would just be in the way - we've removed it in wife's Prius.
  • At my age I don't go anywhere if it is foggy - I had enough of that in my youth.
  • Never had auto headlamps, so don't know what I'm missing. They might be worth something.
  • Our garage door hasn't been opened for the last 15 years, and we'll never live in a gated community.
  • I don't plan to drive the LEAF long distances, and I wasn't sure which standard would win.

planet4ever said:
Before ordering, I thought about what the SL features would be worth to me. Here were my rough guesses:

• $000 solar panel spoiler
  • $100 rearview monitor
  • $000 cargo cover
  • $000 fog lamps
  • $050 auto on/off headlamps
  • $000 HomeLink® universal transceiver
  • $000 Ability to get the QC

Obviously I went for the SV. Here was my rationale:

• I considered the solar panel a joke
  • I never look at the rear view monitor when I drive my wife's Prius, but she says she likes it.
  • I felt the cargo cover would just be in the way - we've removed it in wife's Prius.
  • At my age I don't go anywhere if it is foggy - I had enough of that in my youth.
  • Never had auto headlamps, so don't know what I'm missing. They might be worth something.
  • Our garage door hasn't been opened for the last 15 years, and we'll never live in a gated community.
  • I don't plan to drive the LEAF long distances, and I wasn't sure which standard would win.

The solar panel is useless except for the statement it makes by just being there
Nissan's version of the backup camera is fantastic! It makes parking my wife's Altima hybrid a snap in the SF Performing Arts garage which means a fast getaway ;)
Cargo cover--for those of us who sometimes leave laptops in the back
Fog lamps--useful for commuting in the Bay Area
Auto headlamps--good or bad depending on the sensor. Comes on when you are under an overpass waiting for a traffic light
Homelink--I'm with Mwalsh on this one (except for the gated community)
QC Port--I'm thinking that resale value will be low without it, though additional $750 seemed a little steep.

What a great country it is when two people from the same area can have such vastly different opinions! But we heartily agree on the virtues of a car like the LEAF

So here's the latest wrinkle that maybe some owner can help me with. After I told Zack of Nissan N. America last Wednesday I would go for the upgrade from SV to SL+QC he assured me the change had been made. I got the new price from my dealer at Boardwalk Nissan who later confirmed he had also spoken to Zack and confirmed it and sent me an e-mail to that effect. Supposedly my car went on the assembly line last Friday. So far so good. What worries me now is that the online dashboard still shows the SV configuration. Did any of you owners make a last-minute change to your configuration/color and did the dashboard change promptly? I assume the final car was delivered correctly in all cases or I would have read about it here. I'm more worried that the change did not get made and the mistake will be discovered later and my delivery delayed. Can anyone give me reassurances? Since good old Zack did not even know the SV could not take a QC port I'm afraid I don't trust his assurances on Thursday that the change would go in that night, even though he also said "I've confirmed it with my boss." If so, why doesn't the dashboard show that change?

Rat said:
So here's the latest wrinkle that maybe some owner can help me with. After I told Zack of Nissan N. America last Wednesday I would go for the upgrade from SV to SL+QC he assured me the change had been made. I got the new price from my dealer at Boardwalk Nissan who later confirmed he had also spoken to Zack and confirmed it and sent me an e-mail to that effect. Supposedly my car went on the assembly line last Friday. So far so good. What worries me now is that the online dashboard still shows the SV configuration. Did any of you owners make a last-minute change to your configuration/color and did the dashboard change promptly? I assume the final car was delivered correctly in all cases or I would have read about it here. I'm more worried that the change did not get made and the mistake will be discovered later and my delivery delayed. Can anyone give me reassurances? Since good old Zack did not even know the SV could not take a QC port I'm afraid I don't trust his assurances on Thursday that the change would go in that night, even though he also said "I've confirmed it with my boss." If so, why doesn't the dashboard show that change?

Two different systems that don't update the same, don't sweat it.

garygid said:
But, perhaps call CS and ask them to make sure your dashboard gets updated?
Presumably, your Quote should get updated as well?
I'll pursue it but I'm not overly worried. I do have the quote in writing (e-mail) so it's not the price I'm concerned about.

Rat said:
Supposedly my car went on the assembly line last Friday.

Rat, are you on the spreadsheet? It does not look like it. The fact that you know your car was built Friday would be good information for others in line and waiting.

garygid said:
Right, you want to double-check that you WILL get the SL+QC, right?
Right.
BlueSL said:
Rat said:
Supposedly my car went on the assembly line last Friday.
Rat, are you on the spreadsheet? It does not look like it. The fact that you know your car was built Friday would be good information for others in line and waiting.
I am on the spreadsheet. I only know that Zack told me my car was going on the assembly line last Friday. I have not confirmed it. My dashboard still has the color editable and still has the model shown as SV with the old price. I don't know how long it takes to go through the assembly line, get painted, QA done, etc., so I can't say it "was built" Friday, even if Zack is right. In addition, it may sit for quite some time awaiting enough other cars to make up a full shipment, so I'm not even sure that completion has a direct correlation with delivery date. I have a call in to another Nissan official and I hope to have further information later today at least confirming that the upgrade to SL got made.

Back