Can I plug 110 stock Nissan charger to 110 gfc sobutton este

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIanB

Hi everyone, I got my leaf today and she is a beauty. I have an outlet on my 2 year old new construction home in the garage to use for now for the 110 charger Nissan gives you but I noticed that it is a "gfc" outlet with test button in the center . Is it safe to plug and charge the leaf to it??

Thanks a lot,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Hi everyone, I got my leaf today and she is a beauty. I have an outlet on my 2 year old new construction home in the garage to use for now for the 110 charger Nissan gives you but I noticed that it is a "gfc" outlet with test button in the center . Is it safe to plug and charge the leaf to it??

Thanks a lot,

Ian B
Yes, you can certainly plug into an outlet with GFCI protection.

greenleaf said:
MrIanB said:

Thanks a lot,

Ian B
Yes, you can certainly plug into an outlet with GFCI protection.
+1 I've done it (15 amp circuit) many times.

Although this isn't a matter of safety, you could run into an issue w/your GFCI outlet. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery,_Charging_System#The_LEAF.27s_OEM_EVSE_.28.22Trickle_Charge_Cable.22.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
Although this isn't a matter of safety, you could run into an issue w/your GFCI outlet. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery,_Charging_System#The_LEAF.27s_OEM_EVSE_.28.22Trickle_Charge_Cable.22.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thanks I was worried that it would trip the tester. I found another plug that was for the sprinkler system and will share for charging and sprinkler till I get the charger.

Heading to lowes and home depot to see what chargers they have.

Any suggestions, I work out of house.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Thanks I was worried that it would trip the tester. I found another plug that was for the sprinkler system and will share for charging and sprinkler till I get the charger.

Heading to lowes and home depot to see what chargers they have.

Any suggestions, I work out of house.
What amperage is the circuit that the sprinkler system is on?

As for "chargers", the charger is in your car. What you'll see at those hardware stores are EVSEs, not chargers.

What do you mean "I work out of house"? Does that mean you work from home? What's your reason/motivation for considering/getting an EVSE at a hardware store?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=167114#p167114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=167263#p167263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some good info/advice relating to safety considerations if charging at 120 volts.

cwerdna said:
What do you mean "I work out of house"? Does that mean you work from home? What's your reason/motivation for considering/getting an EVSE at a hardware store?
I currently work from home most of the time and am very grateful to have an AeroVironment EVSE. We still do plenty of driving and like to be able to charge conveniently.

Besides shopping at Lowe's and Home Depot, I'd suggest seeing what you can find (from reputable manufacturers) on eBay as well.

Thanks everyone for info.

Yes, I work from home but if need to do a lot of driving want to make sure I can charge quicker than 110 plug when needed.

Thanks,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Thanks everyone for info.

Yes, I work from home but if need to do a lot of driving want to make sure I can charge quicker than 110 plug when needed.

Thanks,

Ian B

You can have your unit upgraded and save yourself some money. http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks evdriver but that conversion to 240 linked would only apply if your dryer/washer was in the garage which mine is not correct? Otherwise I would have to leave the door leading from house to garage partially open and that would not be cost effective if the a/c or heat is on.

Thanks

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Thanks evdriver but that conversion to 240 linked would only apply if your dryer/washer was in the garage which mine is not correct? Otherwise I would have to leave the door leading from house to garage partially open and that would not be cost effective if the a/c or heat is on.

Thanks

Ian B
You will find it is far cheaper to install a new plug, like the dryer plug you have now, in your garage and use an upgraded EVSE. It works great, but if you want the charge unit on the wall, go for it. It will cost you to get it installed, and will likely have to be hardwired, permitted, and inspected. All these things are not needed with the upgraded EVSE.

Caracalover said:
MrIanB said:

Thanks

Ian B
You will find it is far cheaper to install a new plug, like the dryer plug you have now, in your garage and use an upgraded EVSE. It works great, but if you want the charge unit on the wall, go for it. It will cost you to get it installed, and will likely have to be hardwired, permitted, and inspected. All these things are not needed with the upgraded EVSE.

Oh now I see what you guys mean. Change the outlet to 240 and do the upgrade on the oem charger cable from l1 to l2.

Brilliant,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Do you really need it to be quicker? How many miles do you think you'd put on in a day? How many hours would you have to charge before your next drive? How many miles would the next drive be? Would you have any TOU based billing considerations? (e.g. you only want to charge during certain hours for cheaper electricity, assuming you have or will go to TOU billing)

There's some discussion about charging only at 120 volts at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If I finally get my Leaf (long story), I'm most likely sticking with 120 volts, even though it's slow.

I got my Nissan-included L1 (120v) EVSE "brick" upgraded so that it will ALSO work on 240v.

I appreciate the faster charging when I forget to plug in, and for the better power efficiency while charging.

Even though the L1 charging (120v 12 amp) worked well enough for months, I am pleased with the Mod-L1 upgrade to 240v (still at 12 amps), which charges a bit over twice as fast. The "over" is due to a smaller % overhead in the LEAF's internal charger when it is charging at 240v instead of 120v.

There is also the Rev2 mod that makes the Nissan "brick" offer 16 amps (instead of the "stock" 12-amp setting) to the car's charger.

Caracalover said:
I installed a Leviton Evr-Green 160 EVSE. The electrician who installed the outlet for it found that no permit or inspection was required by my locality to do this when he checked. I also have an upgraded Nissan/Panasonic EVSE for portable and backup.

Caracalover said:
MrIanB said:

Thanks

Ian B

I think your idea sounds the most practical and economical for me and will arrange with my electrician this week. By the way, my electric company is a coop and does not offer any TOU rates or discount. It is a flat rate no matter what time of day.

Ian B

Some (many) places "require" a permit even for just adding
a breaker, running a wire, and installing a new plug.

Yes, there appear to be some jurisdictions that do not require a permit.

Back