Can I reliably make a 65-mile drive?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
GRA said:
I try to identify and acknowledge my own biases, but how do I know if I'm succeeding 100%)?

try saying in your signer:
I do not own a Leaf
or
I don't own a Leaf but I drove one once or twice for 30 miles. (if true)

and truth be told, you have been around here carping way before the AZ Leaf owners reached critical mass. but let's not nitpick, deal with the above, and I will give you credit.

Why should he have to? He mentioned in this very thread that the OP should be fine, but that he may have to "adjust." GRA does get on a lot of peoples nerves, but he didn't say anything incorrectly this time. He let the OP know that there was a guy that owned it and refused to learn about it. How was this negative to the LEAF or Nissan in any way?

I struggled with a 52 mile RT commute with my "100-mile" Leaf. Gave up. Didn't work for me.

You can follow standard Leaf range protocol and (1) stay under 60 mph; (2) turn off your a/c - don't even think about heat; (3) piss off every commuter on the road coasting down hills and climbing them at 10-15 mph below the speed limit; (4) bum rides off co-workers for lunch runs, and borrow other cars at work if you have a dental appointments or anything outside your point to point commute; (5) experience the daily stress of range anxiety as those last 2 bars drop off each evening heading home; and (6) have a plan "b" ready if your charger "burps" or you have a power outage during the night.

Bottom line - this vehicle is a great around town cruiser and a perfect "third-car". I love the "no-gas" - charge at home aspect, but need the 100-mile range I thought I paid for.

ztanos said:
thankyouOB said:
GRA said:
I try to identify and acknowledge my own biases, but how do I know if I'm succeeding 100%)?

I do not own a Leaf
or

and truth be told, you have been around here carping way before the AZ Leaf owners reached critical mass. but let's not nitpick, deal with the above, and I will give you credit.

Why should he have to? He mentioned in this very thread that the OP should be fine, but that he may have to "adjust." GRA does get on a lot of peoples nerves, but he didn't say anything incorrectly this time. He let the OP know that there was a guy that owned it and refused to learn about it. How was this negative to the LEAF or Nissan in any way?

have you ever heard of being honest, or full disclosure.
maybe not, I guess.

GRA said:
Personally, I'd consider that trip very marginal if done on the freeway with a fairly-well loaded car for more than a few years, given the range reserve I insist on.
+1. This is outside what I'd consider to be a reasonable range. Under 40 is ideal. Under 50 might be doable. Anything over that is potentially an issue.

Can I go 65 miles? Yup. But I wouldn't want to count on the weather co-operating, not having any side trips to take, and not having the battery lose capacity because of age or cycles. The question "will this work for a 65 miles commute" is very different from "can I go 65 miles".

LeafPowerIsIxE said:
I struggled with a 52 mile RT commute with my "100-mile" Leaf. Gave up. Didn't work for me.

You can follow standard Leaf range protocol and (1) stay under 60 mph; (2) turn off your a/c - don't even think about heat; (3) piss off every commuter on the road coasting down hills and climbing them at 10-15 mph below the speed limit; (4) bum rides off co-workers for lunch runs, and borrow other cars at work if you have a dental appointments or anything outside your point to point commute; (5) experience the daily stress of range anxiety as those last 2 bars drop off each evening heading home; and (6) have a plan "b" ready if your charger "burps" or you have a power outage during the night.

Bottom line - this vehicle is a great around town cruiser and a perfect "third-car". I love the "no-gas" - charge at home aspect, but need the 100-mile range I thought I paid for.
hard to believe. I make a similar commute every weekday for the past 15 months in the Leaf, save for the 5 weeks the car was being revived after it was rear-ended.
it is no sweat and no problem.
and I do it on an 80% charge. Now, I can charge at work, but I dont even do that all the time.
I dont go out to lunch, but that is just me.

thankyouOB said:
ztanos said:
thankyouOB said:
I do not own a Leaf
or

maybe not, I guess.

Has Nissan? Guess not!!!

Show me his dishonesty in this thread. Please and I will redact my statement that he didn't do anything wrong (again in this thread).

thankyouOB said:
I do think driving through rain affects range.

I've actually noticed that there is a pretty good spike in systems consumption every time the wiper motor kicks in. I don't know how that would play for an hour or two on the road.

Clearly the the wild-card for the OP, now it's revealed he's in Chi-Town, is what the weather will do. Cold in winter. Increasingly very hot in summer. The new model, with it's improved heating will help in winter. But it's yet to be seen how hot the weather needs to be before pack degradation is observed. I'm 18 months in to ownership on my car and have seen some loss of pack capacity, but it hasn't negatively affected range yet. In another couple of years...who knows. But my total commute is 61 miles r/t, and there will be the opportunity to recharge at 30.5 miles, so I don't expect to have problems for many years, no matter what happens with the pack.

My 61 miles, over relatively flat ground, pre-heating in "winter" ('cause we really don't seem to get a winter here any more...it just gets a little chilly), leaves me with around 20-25 miles of range at the end of the day. Using A/C in summer cuts total range a bit, but not by as much as one might think - the LEAF's climate control system is very efficient when it comes to cooling.

LeafPowerIsIxE said:

you mean it the car could not conform to the terms of your commute, right?

all cars require compromise. its either limited range, much higher day to day expenses, more use of your personal time (lets time how fast i can plug....no wait!! how fast my 5 year old Son can plug in my LEAF verses you filling up the tank) higher maintenance costs, etc.

the LEAF requires very little compromise AFAIC. actually for me; it only really requires one to make that 50 mile commute PLUS errands and that is to obey the law. ya thats right. drive the speed limit which around here is 60

thankyouOB said:
LeafPowerIsIxE said:

hard to believe. I make a similar commute every weekday for the past 15 months in the Leaf, save for the 5 weeks the car was being revived after it was rear-ended.
it is no sweat and no problem.
and I do it on an 80% charge. Now, I can charge at work, but I dont even do that all the time.
I dont go out to lunch, but that is just me.

i also did a 48 mile commute (shorter i know) leaving with a full charge in the morning, getting home with anywhere from 25 to 35% SOC...for the math challenged, ya i usually had enough to turn around and go back to work without another charge. actually due to errands which happened 3 days a week, my commute usually ended up being around 53-55 miles

ztanos said:
Show me his dishonesty in this thread. Please and I will redact my statement that he didn't do anything wrong (again in this thread).

he opines as if he has a first-hand, working knowledge of the car.
you cannot have that level of knowledge unless you drive, operate, charge and observe it on a daily basis.

and he is very certain about how unworkable it is for most people, which is largely debunked by commuter stats detailing average drive distance and time in the US; the clear majority within the easy working range of the car.

too also
(just because you dont like how and :idea: what i say about guns, doesnt mean you should attack everything i say to even the score.)

LeafPowerIsIxE said:

Sorry to hear the LEAF doesn't work for your commute. I am curious to know what is the profile of your drive. 52 round trip sound very doable on a full charge even if you break some of the "range killers" you listed. For me, the worse is the stop and go traffic on the freeway. Not only because it kills the actual range but mostly because it fools the LEAF's computer which becomes way overly optimistic in those conditions.

thankyouOB said:
ztanos said:

he opines as if he has a first-hand, working knowledge of the car.
you cannot have that level of knowledge unless you drive, operate, charge and observe it on a daily basis.

and he is very certain about how unworkable it is for most people, which is largely debunked by commuter stats detailing average drive distance and time in the US; the clear majority within the easy working range of the car.

too also
(just because you dont like how and :idea: what i say about guns, doesnt mean you should attack everything i say to even the score.)

wow, glad you think that every human being is petty. I was actually just defending bullying, didn't even notice it was you and haven't really had an issue with anything that "you" have said on the gun forum, so not sure how that correlates. He clearly states that his experience is anothers. He never once (again, read this time what I am right) in this thread says that he had any experience with the LEAF. Perhaps you should get over your anger that people disagree at times and actually think logically. Again, show me proof of his dishonesty on the thread (there is that phrase you should read again) and I will redact my statement.

All I see him doing is enlightening a LEAF lover who is looking for information. All he said was he has knowledge of someone near him who wasn't satisfied with the car in accordance to their commute. He isn't saying don't get it, he actually stated the opposite. He is just saying to look carefully before he leaps. It is worse for the EV and the LEAF if people jump into it and it can't make their commute, because then they will do nothing but complain about it to everyone else.

I've said this before about DANnNan and I will say this now about GRA. Don't make me defend people that I don't always agree with just because you don't like something they wrote in another thread. He may not always say things that I agree with, but he has given the OP great information on this thread.

thankyouOB said:
maybe not, I guess.

Statements like this and you wonder why people get defensive?

Full Disclosure. I don't own a LEAF, just in love with them. Guess that means I haven't done my research or spent countless hours on this forum listening to others experiences. I should never tell people to check this forum out or buy a LEAF. I should never reference the LEAF chart made by Tony (As GRA did on this very thread) to indicate range. I should never tell people that driving slower will let you go farther (again what GRA did) or that using peripherals sparingly will keep you from decreasing range (how about that, I'm seeing a pattern GRA again). I shouldn't tell people that range will be lower in the winter and that heat is bad for the LEAF (... I'll say it again... GRA). If the OP were to say that his travel were under 60 miles regularly and he never did any trips more than this it would be a hands down thing. But he needs to know that his infrequent trips of 65 on the highway will require attention at first until he gets comfortable. Isn't this, also, full disclosure and honesty? (Last time I swear, GRA said this very thing on this very thread) Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you should (how did you phrase this? just because you dont like how and what someone has to say doesn't mean you need to tell them to be blocked to even the score.) ;)

it is just fair to assume ownership of a Leaf by folks posting here at -- MYnissanleaf.com.
particularly, if you are as regular a poster as GRA. that seems to be very basic to the raison d'etre here.
it is a very logical assumption, and some folks make clear their status.

GRA has resisted requests to make clear that he does NOT own a Leaf. I assume that is because he knows it would weaken his arguments, which are largely subjective statements of his opinion based on ... what?

(sorry for the tar brush about your intentions. my bad. you make clear that you dont own one, yet. kudos.)

thankyouOB said:
it is just fair to assume ownership of a Leaf by folks posting here at -- MYnissanleaf.com.
particularly, if you are as regular a poster as GRA. that seems to be very basic to the raison d'etre here.

GRA has resisted requests to make clear that he does NOT own a Leaf. I assume that is because he knows it would weaken his arguments, which are largely subjective statements of his opinion based on ... what?

(sorry for the tar brush about your intentions. my bad. you make clear that you dont own one, yet. kudos.)

But again, you avoid my question. Where was he in anyway misleading in this thread? Why should he have had to show that he does or doesn't own a LEAF. Would his owning a Volt (note: I don't know what he owns and don't really care, if he has good pertinent information what does it matter?) change the fact that he knows how to get better EV mileage?

ztanos said:
thankyouOB said:

But again, you avoid my question. Where was he in anyway misleading in this thread? Why should he have had to show that he does or doesn't own a LEAF. Would his owning a Volt (note: I don't know what he owns and don't really care, if he has good pertinent information what does it matter?) change the fact that he knows how to get better EV mileage?

read my answer.
and the bullying charge is pure rhetoric, and misused.

Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power. It can include verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability.

thankyouOB said:
ztanos said:
thankyouOB said:

read my answer.
and the bullying charge is pure rhetoric, and misused.
ump to: navigation, search
Page semi-protected
Bullying is detrimental to students’ well-being and development.[1]

Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power. It can include verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability.

Your definition proves my point. You have habitually tried to sway peoples opinions GRA through force of coercion.

If you keep it to the threads that he is actually causing harm I have no issue, but when you single him out because he is GRA then you are bullying as evidenced by your own definition. Thanks for not making me look that up for you.

I'm confused, what exactly did GRA say in this thread that was inaccurate? His post seemed very helpful.

To the OP: Ignore the bad behavior in this thread. A very small minority here feel this forum is a LEAF-owners-that-share-my-views-only club, and they aren't bashful about publicly attacking anyone that they feel doesn't fit here.

To get back on topic:

I would recommend you NOT keep the LEAF because I don't believe it will provide you with consistent 65-mile highway range, unless you have another vehicle. In the summer, I think a charge to 100% and keeping the speeds down to around 65 should get you there with no problem. The biggest challenge will be trying to make that 65-mile highway trip in the winter. A lot of early adopters live in warm weather states and haven't encountered our temperatures, so they may not be considering the affect cold weather has on range for several months out of the year.

Owning the LEAF is a learning experience. It took me about a month before I was able to comfortably ween myself off of at-work charging. Once I figured out the car, I felt much more confident in its ability to get me where I needed to go. I drive around 60 miles/day with a 80% charge, but my top speed in my commute is only around 55-60MPH. But come winter, I'll be needing to plug in at work again, because 60 miles in the winter will be tough to pull off, even with a 100% charge and preheating.

Back