Can you even get a plain S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gReGsKi

In California it seems like the dealers make you get the quick charger cause its already installed on every model, that and the stupid reverse camera for a $1,600 bucks price tag inflation, I would have been fine without either, I just charge using 110V every other day and drive the hell out of it

They don't make a lot of those 'loss leader' cars, because the money is made on options. They do exist, but you will probably have to order one, or get a dealer to trade with a dealer in a state where Leafs aren't popular for one.

gReGsKi said:
In California it seems like the dealers make you get the quick charger cause its already installed on every model, that and the stupid reverse camera for a $1,600 bucks price tag inflation, I would have been fine without either, I just charge using 110V every other day and drive the hell out of it
I just leased one here in Texas, and there are more out there, but I would say the ratio of the base S to S with QC is about 1:10. By the way, the reverse camera is standard on the base S, but I don't find it very useful on the tiny radio screen.

Recently was a a dealer lot here in Colorado while Quick Charging and saw plenty of 2015 S models. All but one had the QC package, none had the around-view option (the backup is now standard).

Personally, I think it this ratio makes sense if there are a decent number of QCs in the local region. Most people who buy LEAFs plan on limited driving but find that this expands once they get past the range anxiety. The QC port and the faster L2 charge capability are thus probably the most useful options on the LEAF. Yes, there are a few people who'll never need more than 110V, but that is a minority and will increasingly be a smaller minority over time.

I have the 2013 S w/o QC and my wife has the 2013 SV w QC. If I had it to do over, I would pay for the QC package on my S, but mainly for the 6 kw charger. I find I fairly frequently go to lunch or somewhere that is 50 miles away, and an hour of L2 at 6 kw is much more useful than an hour at 3.3 kw. I would very rarely use the QC-L3 (my wife has used it maybe 3-4 times in the 14 mo w have had the cars).

DNAinaGoodWay said:
How far can you "drive the hell out of it" if you only charge on 120 every other day?

Good point, it's not really how far (obviously approximately 80 miles a day which is 4 times what I need) but how, I don't baby it, I am on the freeway doing 80 with the AC blasting, sometimes taking three buddies to lunch (I sorta became the work eShuttle for lunch dates) that's about 1,000 lbs of cargo weight

when I visit my parents I can plug in there, if I visit my wifes folks I can plug in there, I take kids to karate, to gymnastix, so a ton of short blasts here and there, grocery store, etc.

Is the this be all end all car for our family, no, we have a Pilot to go camping in and on road trips, but around town, the Leaf gets 'er done!!!

hope that explains what I meant

stjohnh said:
I find I fairly frequently go to lunch or somewhere that is 50 miles away,

Don't mean to be a dingleberry, but does your boss know? LOL. You must be your own boss or something, but still, an hour to drive to lunch assuming some in city driving to get to the restaurant, then eat lunch 1 more hour, then get back another hour, counts parking the car walking to restaurant, walking back to the office, so you spend 3 hours on lunch, hmmm

just busting your balls,
G

I would imagine Nissan doesn't really want to sell too many of the base S-models. They probably know a lot of customers will buy it because they want the cheapest thing, only to be disappointed in it because of the slow charging time. With 120V charging at home only, the car has a realistic range of about 45 miles per day. Even with an the 3.3Kw level-2 it is really just about 75 miles. Add charging at work, and things change a lot. But add the QC and the 6.6Kw charger and suddenly the car is capable of a lot more.

They exist. I haven't gone on a dealer lot to see what the % is, but I spoke to the driver of a '13 base S w/no CHAdeMO inlet and thus the 3.3 kW OBC a few weeks ago.

We were comparing under the hood of his '13 S vs. my '13 SV.

gReGsKi said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
How far can you "drive the hell out of it" if you only charge on 120 every other day?

Good point, it's not really how far (obviously approximately 80 miles a day which is 4 times what I need) but how, I don't baby it, I am on the freeway doing 80 with the AC blasting, sometimes taking three buddies to lunch (I sorta became the work eShuttle for lunch dates) that's about 1,000 lbs of cargo weight

when I visit my parents I can plug in there, if I visit my wifes folks I can plug in there, I take kids to karate, to gymnastix, so a ton of short blasts here and there, grocery store, etc.

Is the this be all end all car for our family, no, we have a Pilot to go camping in and on road trips, but around town, the Leaf gets 'er done!!!

hope that explains what I meant

If you only use 20 miles a day, and charge every other day for ten hours, that's cool. At that rate, you really can drive the hell out of it. Enjoy !

there are several Base S models for sale in Cincinnati, Ohio area, which is what I leased, saw no reason for a quick charge port when there are no quick chargers in this area

I know my dealer here in MA had one on the lot when I bought my S with QC. I don't think that the Leaf is unique in this low ratio of the "stripped down base model". I've run into this problem with every car I've bought (ok, only 3 - but I tend to keep them a LONG time). Six years ago I was looking for the lowest cost Hyundai Accent and it took a while to chase it down too.

I believe they make these models on each line so that they can market a "starting at" that is $5 below whatever magic line they think will draw attention ($29,995 to break the 30K barrier as an example). I don't know that they lose much money on these, but they sure won't make large profits selling them in quantity either!

If you really want a base model, can't you just order it? A dealer should be receptive to that since they won't have to hold it in inventory for long. Might take awhile, but that way you can get what you want.

Selfishly, I'd rather Nissan never made another Leaf without the QC port; having cars that can use it helps the infrastructure rollout.

pkulak said:
Selfishly, I'd rather Nissan never made another Leaf without the QC port; having cars that can use it helps the infrastructure rollout.

I tend to agree. And I think Nissan may eventually go that route. I have come to the conclusion that QC should not be an option on a BEV. It should be standard. Ford needs to get their act together and include QC on the Focus Electric.

With a PHEV, level 2 is fine. But BEV should have QC.

pkulak said:

I don't see why not. It can't cost thst much. A lot cheaper than a larger charger on the car.

pkulak said:
If it didn't raise the price I guess I wouldn't object. But with the nearest QC station 300 miles away a DCFC port certainly has no utility here, nor is that likely to change anytime soon. And with all the tales of woe about malfunctioning QC stations in other threads, can they really be relied on when they do exist?

On the other hand, the 6.0 kW OBC would be a big help. Making that standard would be more useful around here.

Back