Car Fax Red Flag?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manich

I have signed a sales contract, no payment yet, with a used car dealer in Atlanta, on a blue 2013 Leaf SV with only 13,800 miles and QC/LED package for $11,400 drive-out. Car Fax says car can be adjusted to $410 above suggested retail book value of $13,200. But, on first glance the Car Fax looked great......but what do you experienced owners think of this maintenance history? :

07/10/2013, 36 miles- First owner registered and titled in Michigan

04/05/2014, 5,932 miles- Maintenance Inspection and glass checked
05/19/2014, 7,103 miles- Maintenance Inspection and tires checked
07/22/2014, 8,632 miles- Maintenance Inspection, electrical system checked, and tires checked
12/12/2014, 10,526 miles- Maintenance Inspection and tires rotated

08/03/2015, 13,856 miles- Sold at auction

Three trips to dealer in 3 months? I am 4 hours away and buying on internet with only seeing pictures and Car Fax. Dealer offers 3 day buyback if it shows up with issues not disclosed.

Should I have concerns? Have heard the 2013 can have a/c issues, and turned down another great deal on a 2013 for a history of too many trips to dealer for a/c work.

thanks

Fishy. Only one tire rotation at 7,500 miles is required.

At 15,000
SCHEDULE 2 (LESS SEVERE) Replace in-cabin microfilter Rotate tires Inspect the following: __ Brake lines & cables __ Brake pads & rotors __ Charging port __ Drive shaft boots __ <EVBattery Usage Report>1 __ Reduction gear oil

There are lots more 2013 cars available.

EVforRobert said:
There are lots more 2013 cars available.

You would think so, but this is one of the few 2013 SV's with quick charge port we could locate within 200 miles of Asheville, other than some very over priced 2013 SVs and SLs at Nissan dealers.

You are right, not too many in your area. I spotted 10 LEAFs on my 4 mile trip home. I would check cars.com or autotrader and have them email you whenever a car which meets your criteria comes up. I see a 13SL in Hickory newly listed. Just look through the forum for buying tips. Good luck.

Here's my insight, being a Michigan LEAF owner myself:

1) 07/10/2013, 36 miles- First owner registered and titled in Michigan
Nothing wrong here.

2) 04/05/2014, 5,932 miles- Maintenance Inspection and glass checked
Probably related to cold-weather slow window issue that many LEAFs are plagued with. Checked, but not repaired, seems to suggest they did jack to correct the problem. Expect slow windows on this car in the winter.

3) 05/19/2014, 7,103 miles- Maintenance Inspection and tires checked
Nothing wrong here. I blew through my first set of tires rather quickly. Owner was probably concerned about premature tire wear or just needed tires filled up. Not a major concern here.

4) 07/22/2014, 8,632 miles- Maintenance Inspection, electrical system checked, and tires checked
1 year battery inspection, plus tires again. You can safely ignore this one too.

5) 12/12/2014, 10,526 miles- Maintenance Inspection and tires rotated
Better than me. I think I did my first rotation around 8,000 miles due to rapid wear.

I wouldn't be concerned. But note:

1) Your windows will probably roll up slowly.
2) The tires are probably shot.
3) You're overdue for your battery test.
4) Check with a Nissan dealer to verify battery warranty is still in effect.

manich said:
I have signed a sales contract, no payment yet, with a used car dealer in Atlanta, on a blue 2013 Leaf SV with only 13,800 miles and QC/LED package for $11,400 drive-out. Car Fax says car can be adjusted to $410 above suggested retail book value of $13,200. But, on first glance the Car Fax looked great......but what do you experienced owners think of this maintenance history? :

07/10/2013, 36 miles- First owner registered and titled in Michigan

04/05/2014, 5,932 miles- Maintenance Inspection and glass checked
05/19/2014, 7,103 miles- Maintenance Inspection and tires checked
07/22/2014, 8,632 miles- Maintenance Inspection, electrical system checked, and tires checked
12/12/2014, 10,526 miles- Maintenance Inspection and tires rotated

08/03/2015, 13,856 miles- Sold at auction

Three trips to dealer in 3 months? I am 4 hours away and buying on internet with only seeing pictures and Car Fax. Dealer offers 3 day buyback if it shows up with issues not disclosed.

Should I have concerns? Have heard the 2013 can have a/c issues, and turned down another great deal on a 2013 for a history of too many trips to dealer for a/c work.

thanks
As far as "value", I don't put a whole lot of stock in all the "book" values, and go more by what I see in my area.

I don't see anything I would be worried about from the maintenance history. maintenance inspection is done at a lot of dealers anytime you take it in for anything. "tires checked" could be routine, depending on the tech/service advisor, kind of part of the maint. check...

Just an example of how hard it is to get complete info from a car fax, the PO could have brought it in for the "electrical system checked" for a charging issue, which could have been due to not knowing how the timer system worked, the 80% setting deep in the menus, or some catastrophic failure of the charger... or it could have just been a turn signal burned out...

Thanks kubel, feel better now. We will be wiring the dealer the money first thing Monday morning, and when it arrives here will take the car fax and car to the dealer to let them check it out with the 15k service during our 3 day money back window.

EVforRobert said:
You are right, not too many in your area. I spotted 10 LEAFs on my 4 mile trip home. I would check cars.com or autotrader and have them email you whenever a car which meets your criteria comes up. I see a 13SL in Hickory newly listed. Just look through the forum for buying tips. Good luck.

Yeah, I have had my eye on that dealer, who usually keeps a couple of Leafs on hand. He is just an hours drive away, and would eliminate the need for a $300 transport fee if we bought from him, but I think I will go thru with the 2013 SV mentioned earlier. Hope to get it "trucked in" next week.

thanks

Back