Car in for Repair. Rental car fuel Reimbursement?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuburnLeaf

I'm taking my Leaf in for repair next week, after some lady backed in to my wife in a parking lot. There was about $1K in damage to the rear bumper and left rear quarter panel. The lady's insurance is covering the cost of the repair and a rental for me to drive. However, I'm a little miffed I now have to pay for gas while my Leaf is in the shop. Has anyone successfully gotten reimbursed gas costs by the insurance company in this situation?

AuburnLeaf said:
I'm taking my Leaf in for repair next week, after some lady backed in to my wife in a parking lot. There was about $1K in damage to the rear bumper and left rear quarter panel. The lady's insurance is covering the cost of the repair and a rental for me to drive. However, I'm a little miffed I now have to pay for gas while my Leaf is in the shop. Has anyone successfully gotten reimbursed gas costs by the insurance company in this situation?

Working for an insurance company this is a relatively new issue. Our position would be if you want to pursue it and can provide documentation we would certainly consider the difference. But as of yet we don't have a formula for the difference hence the documentation. I would just be nice about it and understand they probably haven't run into this and may not think it is a large difference so you may have to educate them a little without being condescending. ;)

I complained to my insurance company regarding this issue because they refused to represent me to discuss the issue with the other party. Apparently, if I want to get gas reimbursement I have to contact the other party's insurance company or even the individual to pay for my gas.

kieodadie said:
I complained to my insurance company regarding this issue because they refused to represent me to discuss the issue with the other party. Apparently, if I want to get gas reimbursement I have to contact the other party's insurance company or even the individual to pay for my gas.

Unless you are utilizing your own coverage your carrier has its hands tied. They have no legal recourse to require another company to do anything. That is why assuming you have the needed coverage it can be beneficial to go through your own carrier.

be glad it is covered. i had a very similar incident (back bumper $1400 in damage), and the other person claims I backed into her.
actually, she backed into me in a parking lot and her insurance company called it 50-50.
I was stopped.
my insurance company called it 90-10 for me.

regardless, my company SAFECO is only sending me half of my deductible back, pending getting more from the other person's insurance.
I used my third car, and neither company will pay for the fuel, even though they would have paid for half of a rental.

Back