Cars comparable to the zen of a LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

We are in the market for another car for my wife because of the LEAF's range limitations. There is a plethora of new models coming out each year. A car that is fun to drive and gets high mpg would be ideal. There is a lot to love about the LEAF. Which other models come close? Thanks..

What we considered:

Prius: 10 years too late, Everyone else has one
Camry hybrid: Gas sipper, but has lost its sense of design ergonomics
Tesla Model S: Still considering it (if money was no object. $50 K for the base model after the tax break, but this still has a range limit of ~100 miles)

adric22 said:
Chevy Volt.

+1. If we didn't need the carrying capacity of our other vehicle, I'd look at the Volt for 2nd car. The majority of its drives would be electric.

The only thing that comes close to a Leaf is Tesla S. I've ridden most everything now. Anything with an engine (like a hybrid) will eventually (unexpectedly) turn on and ruin your Zen :oops:

Stanton said:
The only thing that comes close to a Leaf is Tesla S. I've ridden most everything now. Anything with an engine (like a hybrid) will eventually (unexpectedly) turn on and ruin your Zen :oops:
Yeah, but running out of juice or realizing that you can't make the journey because you might run out of juice will also ruin your zen.

adric22 said:
Stanton said:
Yeah, but running out of juice or realizing that you can't make the journey because you might run out of juice will also ruin your zen.

True; but it is not the same zen.

I was very impressed with the RAV4 EV.
I drove it hard for 75 miles and it had almost 1/2 the gauge still showing charge.
Lease prices were comparable to what the LEAF SL was when it first came out.
But, I see you're in TX, so maybe not an option.

pjoseph said:
So what?

If image is that important, pony up for a Tesla Model S with the big battery and all the goodies they offer.

ebill3 said:
pjoseph said:
So what?

If image is that important, pony up for a Tesla Model S with the big battery and all the goodies they offer.
Yeah, besides "everyone else has one", I'm not sure how the HyCam is any better from the "10 years too late" POV. They're both hybrids.

The first Priuses (NHW10) went on sale in Japan in December 97. It was JDM only, so we in the US never got that version. We got the NHW11 first. The ones that "everyone has" are the more familiar looking hatchback versions: 2nd gen NHW20 (04-09 model years) and the 3rd gen ZVW30 (2010+ model year).

I agree w/the cars listed so far. I'd also throw in the Plug-in Prius, if available in your state.

The '12+ Camry Hybrid might be a bit more fun to drive only because it has a lot more power (200 hp) and accelerates a lot quicker than any Prius.

For me, I think my cars from now on will never include a conventional ICEV, unless one can't get it in any form other than that (e.g. minivan or sports car). It's so annoying to drive non-hybrid ICEVs. The ICE uselessly runs while stopped/idling. When braking, all kinetic energy is wasted by conversion into useless heat and brake dust.

One good thing about buying cars that engineers/geeks are attracted to is that there are good forums w/some pretty knowledgeable people and tinkerers. Obviously, the Leaf is in that bucket. The Prius is definitely as well, and I'd guess that Volt and Tesla Model S are too.

My mom has an 07 Altima Hybrid (leftover bought in early 08) and boy, I can't find any good message boards on it and hardly anyone knows anything about it. Forget about the community of tinkerers and enthusiasts. I'd imagine the Camry Hybrid has the same issue.

I went with the Volt as a second car to the Leaf. Liked it so much I got a 2nd for our 3rd car.

I definitely feel the Zen.

But that is not what they are now so you can't really use that as a barometer... The EV-4 is an expensive vehicle in comparison to what a comparable Leaf lease costs today for the same lease term.
You are not going to get an EV-4 for $199 a month...

sparky said:
Lease prices were comparable to what the LEAF SL was when it first came out.

ebill3 said:
pjoseph said:
So what?

Didn't you realize that cars are an extension of one's personality? :) Just like the clothes one wears. i really don't care what others think of my possessions but the Prius is all too common here in Austin, Texas. Toyota's current lineup while engineered close to perfection, is uninspiring in the (ahem) looks department (as is Honda).

For me personally, it is a little about a mid-life crisis (among other things). The Leaf is by far the most Jetson-isque, nerdy car i've owned. Features comparable to CarWings (as cruddy as it is implemented) is likely available only in far more expensive cars. But we are very close to the era of Smartphone on four wheels.

The Tesla Model S seems the consensus thus far. Once i squirrel away the money for one. Wish QC becomes ubiquitous soon. Thanks, everyone.

pjoseph said:
ebill3 said:
pjoseph said:
So what?

For me personally, it is a little about a mid-life crisis (among other things).
Whoops! Sorry, mine was so long ago, I had forgotten about that male event. Mine resulted in a Beemer R90S. Yep, it was that long ago :p

Scrape together the 5K reservation, and you might get an S before the crisis is over.

Back