Carwings mathematical prowess

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlegro

This may have been discussed before, but if so, I haven't been able to find it. Here's the deal:

My wife commutes about 17 miles roundtrip, 30 minutes each way, in the Leaf. But when I look up in Carwings to see how she's doing with her driving style (so I can harass her later for having a lead foot), Carwings says she's traveled only half that distance and half the actual time. (And no, I don't think I have to hire a private detective to see where she's really going.) Then it gives her stats, which are generally level 3 for miles/kwh and electricity consumed by the traction motor and level 5 for regenerative braking and accessories use.

Carwings also knows how far her commute is because she follows the route it planned for her, which is 17 miles roundtrip. She says she always remembers to tap OK when the location message comes on as soon as she starts up.

What I want to know is: are the Carwings Driving Style stats for her driving style accurate for the 17 miles? Or just the 8.5 miles to or from work? Or valid only for Mars? And why is it measuring only half the distance? And in her Driving Records, if Carwings thinks she's traveling only 8.5 miles, does that mean that the electricity consumption and CO2 reduction are also only for 8.5 miles for the whole trip? And her totals are also off by half?

The thing is, it's been recording my trips to the doctor accurately. That roundtrip and hers are about the same, and my totals are always double hers. Hmmm...maybe I should hire a private eye. :cry:

Any less devastating suggestions out there would be much appreciated.

wlegro said:
Perhaps she does not push to the OK button on the center console startup screen every time? Or does it now record the response for 30 days at a time.

On Carwings in general: Garbage in, garbage out. :D

Apparently you are doing something different on your
round trip, that manages to get both legs recorded.

Probably something right at the start or end of one of the legs?

Mystery solved: My wife confessed. She doesn't always remember to tap OK. She does remember to start calling people and listening to NPR stories as soon as she starts the car. After that, everything goes blank for her.

And all this time I've believed her. My trust is shattered. :shock:

And now I've wasted everybody's time. Sorry, guys, thanks for trying.

wlegro said:
This may have been discussed before, but if so, I haven't been able to find it. Here's the deal:

My wife commutes about 17 miles roundtrip, 30 minutes each way, in the Leaf. But when I look up in Carwings to see how she's doing with her driving style (so I can harass her later for having a lead foot), Carwings says she's traveled only half that distance and half the actual time. (And no, I don't think I have to hire a private detective to see where she's really going.) Then it gives her stats, which are generally level 3 for miles/kwh and electricity consumed by the traction motor and level 5 for regenerative braking and accessories use...

Glad to hear your initial CW mystery is solved.

The comment below from another thread might help you and others to use your CW data to monitor your LEAFs energy use, with far greater precision than is possible for LEAFers without this comprehension.

...Here are my suggestions, for you and other CW users.

All 2011-2 LEAFs, AFAIK, have reported the same Carwings odometer and Dash m/kWh error of consistently under-reporting by ~2.5%.

So if your CW miles driven is ~2.5% lower than your dash odometer miles, and your dash m/kWh is showing ~2.5% less than your nav screen m/kWh (0.1 m/kWh lower below ~6 m/kWh, and 0.2 m/kWh lower when you are getting over ~6 m/kWh) this is "normal" for 2011-2012 LEAFs.

Hopefully, Nissan has fixed this error in the 2013s. Any readers have a CW equipped 2013? Please check and report back.

If you are "missing" more miles than this, go to the "rate simulation" page at the CW site.

Here, each "trip" (each start/stop cycle) will be individually reported. Make sure that each of the "trips"you have made each day, is showing up. Each trip will show the same ~2.5% under-report of miles driven as your daily total, and each m/kWh report there will match your dash (if you reset it) for the corresponding trip, again showing the same ~2.5% under-report error.

The Dash, nav screen and CW m/kWh all are mathematically "correct" as a function of the total kWh use reported by CW for every trip, day, or months driving.

It's just that the dash uses the same ~2.5% understated miles to make its calculation of m/kWh as CW does, while the nav screen is always accurate as a function of reported kWh use, as it uses the dash odometer miles, for the m/kWh calculation.

Got it?

BTW, while every LEAF driver, AFAIK, has reported the dash odometer as very close to correct, while using stock tires and wheels, IMO it wouldn't hurt to confirm your dash odometer is correct, by checking with another source, such as Google maps.

Now back to the "rate simulation" page, If you are missing any "trips", that you made on any given day, and every driver is pushing "accept" every time, please report back.

I have missed only a couple of "trips" in the ~12,000 miles since I've been using Carwings (since an update corrected errors in the early LEAFs) so I believe they probably have all been due to operator error on my part, as I make a very quick stab at the screen, and I think I probably just missed "accept" a couple of times...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wlegro said:
Mystery solved: My wife confessed. She doesn't always remember to tap OK. She does remember to start calling people and listening to NPR stories as soon as she starts the car. After that, everything goes blank for her.

And all this time I've believed her. My trust is shattered. :shock:

And now I've wasted everybody's time. Sorry, guys, thanks for trying.

It still doesn't dispel the fact that Carwings is garbage. :mrgreen:

wishboneash said:
It still doesn't dispel the fact that Carwings is garbage. :mrgreen:

One man's garbage is another man's treasure: I think CarWings is a good early attempt at telematics and can be very useful depending on the application (I depend on the daily "car unplugged" or "charge stopped" message). It's future will be determined by how much Nissan charges for it (if/when that happens) vs the reliability/up time of the service. There's nothing worse than wanting to turn on climate control only to find the server is down.

wlegro said:
...when I look up in Carwings to see how she's doing with her driving style (so I can harass her later for having a lead foot), Carwings says she's traveled only half that distance and half the actual time. (And no, I don't think I have to hire a private detective to see where she's really going.)
Have you never considered she lied to you about pressing "OK" every time, just to mess with you, because she thinks you're a jerk, since you think you need to track her every move? That may be how she actually sees this and she might not give a rats @ss about those numbers! It's just a ride, to her. :lol: She just didn't tell you, because she didn't want to hear about it (again). After she strung you out awhile trying to figure it out, she finally broke down and let you in on the truth (and that set you free - Amen!). Sorry, but you've been had!

Back