Carwings trouble and update rumors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be asking about this soon, as my Carwings access has been down for five days. Unfortunately this started on the day of our first family trip (with the LEAF) to San Diego.

OrientExpress said:
Thanks. From that thread, your key info:
OrientExpress said:
So then I had to pry out of them the Technical Bulletin number: TB-11-041 "2011 Leaf, No Telematics Communication".
My Carwings started working again on its own a week ago, but then it went out today as I drove up Baldy Rd again, where cell-phone service is very spotty. It seems very likely that driving out of AT&T cell-phone coverage brings on the problem. Not clear what eventually restores service (without the firmware update).

Mountain View Nissan in Chattanooga installed the Telematics Control Unit reset permanent software fix on my Leaf on Thursday, July 21st, 2011. First install they had done of it since they first got the software on 07-15-2011.
Didn't take long, about 1 1/2 hours per Mike the service manager. They offer excellent drop off / pick up service to my employer about 6 blocks away so I didn't wait for the repair. Mike also drives a Leaf and is very knowledgeable about the Leaf. He commutes from Cleveland and has about 5000 miles on it already.
Carwings has worked trouble free since.
The Leaf communicated a lot of Carwings data that hadn't been transmitted due to the hang-up. But I think it lost a couple of days of driving data, probably either a limitation on the # of days of data that can be stored on the vehicle, or it may be that the hang-up causes a loss of some data.
If you haven't had the software upgrade, I think the 12V battery disconnect reset will get it back working temporarily. But I think the hang-up issue is probably happening if the Leaf is in a poor AT&T cell phone service area. I think mine hung-up when parked in parking garage. AT&T cell phone coverage is very poor towards the interior of the garage.
I still don't understand the update cycle of the Carwings data. I've driven the car twice today, but Carwings only shows yesterday's data. The Leaf must only transmit Carwings data once a day. I don't know if it does this on a set schedule, or if the Carwings system sends out a request for stored data to the Leaf.

Back