Carwings World Competition

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSXTASY

Not sure who from here is on there and looking at world stats, but something caught my eye..
a leaf owner who goes by the handle stuart658 is currently holding the world efficiency record with 36.8 miles/kWh !?! This is a theoretical 880+ miles range ?! :shock:

He probably pressed "OK" when going down a big hill, and then turned the car off at the bottom, restarted, and never pressed OK again.

NYLEAF said:
He probably pressed "OK" when going down a big hill, and then turned the car off at the bottom, restarted, and never pressed OK again.

I thought about a similar scenario except that that trip was 7.8 miles long and only 1.1 kWh of regen was created. Too many parameters would have to be managed to be even feasible (like feathering the throttle to be just around 0 kW etc...) computer glitch ?

I've also been wondering about this. Could be putting the car on a lift and having a motor spin the wheels. Seems like a lot of work though. I would guess it has to do somehow modifying the system to send info on some occasions and not on other. The low regen is possible if you are downhill in neutral.

I'm more impressed with the 6th place "carlosmfe" from Portugal - 7.9 miles/kwh over 200 miles and 20 trips

Stuart658 is almost always the leader in miles/kwhr, and it's sometimes as high as 62 miles/kwhr. I suspect that it's something like what nyleaf said; he has a trip that he does occasionally where he has a 9.5 mile downhill. He presses "accept" and puts the car in neutral when he is going to do one of the downhill runs, otherwise he presses "decline".

I think Nissan should not count any LEAF that hits the do not share button. Stuart must be playing games only recording downhill drives. It messes up the stats for real drivers.

A friend of mine went 188.2 miles on 1 charge by going 22 mph and coasting on level streets here in the Phoenix area. Someday we will all be able to go 200-300. Lithium batteries and ultra capacitors just get getting better and lower cost.

jstack6 said:
Someday we will all be able to go 200-300. Lithium batteries and ultra capacitors just get getting better and lower cost.

The bad news: Per the director of the JCESR program, Li-ion is probably not going to yield any transformational increases.

The good news: The program is committed to finding a way to improve battery capacity by a factor of 5, and decrease cost by a factor of 5, within 5 years! The effort is being compared to the Manhattan Project.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mEXrmOdwg[/youtube]

There's a time for competition, and also a time for collaboration.

Yep, right now, I'm seeing that "stuart" did 34.0 mi/kWh, while I'm at a lowly 3.7 mi/kWh (13 degrees F outside today and half of my 22 mile commute is posted at 70 mph, not that I usually drive that fast). Currently placed 2,525/4,211.

I long suspected that stuart attaches the tow hook to his Leaf and uses his Diesel pickup to tow it up a long hill and then coast back down the hill. I'm on a 2013 Leaf, so I don't get the OK prompt every time, only once a month. I guess not pressing OK would be a lot easier than getting out your Diesel pickup and towing your vehicle on a regular basis just to stay at the top of a leaderboard that, in all reality, doesn't mean anything. :)

I do find it impressive on how many miles/month the top folks are driving. Difficult for me to rack up miles only being 11 miles from work though...

Steve

jstack6 said:
I think Nissan should not count any LEAF that hits the do not share button. Stuart must be playing games only recording downhill drives. It messes up the stats for real drivers.

A friend of mine went 188.2 miles on 1 charge by going 22 mph and coasting on level streets here in the Phoenix area. Someday we will all be able to go 200-300. Lithium batteries and ultra capacitors just get getting better and lower cost.

If that's true, that would beat LeafFan's record by 0.2 miles.

I imagine it would be possible that Stuart has an Enginer pack in his trunk drip feeding the Leaf battery while he drives, giving the drivetrain the extra charge without the computer knowing of the added current. Sort of a parallel feed, in my opinion.

Back