Charge timer not turning off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBC

I had a strange thing happen while charging a few weeks ago. I trickle charge on Level 1 (wall socket) overnight and I plugged in like usual in the evening. In the morning I was surprised to see that it was still charging, it should have stopped in the middle of the night. The plug was warm so it was still taking in juice and the blue lights were flashing. I had set it to 80% charge and when I turned the car on it maintained the 10 bars indicating "80%" (actually 83%).

I got a warning light on the dash when I drove to work that morning but it wasn't there next time I used it on the way home. I did notice that it took a long time for the battery indicator to go down below 10 bars (83%) while driving which suggests that the battery was actually taken to 100% but the car did not register this.

It seems that the charge timer failed to sense when the charge was done and turn it off. I am concerned that all this power was going into the batteries for several hours after they were 100% full and that this may have done damage. They seem fine since then though and it hasn't happened since. I am also concerned that this may happen again so I am hesitant to leave it charging overnight. Maybe I will just change the timer to automatically go off at midnight or something so it doesn't have to try to sense when the batteries are full. Has this been reported before?

The car (the BMS) could have been performing balancing of the batteries. We need more info. What does
I did notice that it took a long time for the battery indicator to go down below 10 bars
mean ? How long (time) ? How many miles ?

And what does
I got a warning light on the dash
mean ? Which light ? Could you turn the car on and maybe (while all lights are displayed for a few seconds) remember which one it was and tell us ?

:)

MarkBC said:
In the morning I was surprised to see that it was still charging, it should have stopped in the middle of the night.
Stopped in the middle of the night with 120v charging? Does this mean you had only driven 25 miles or less? How many charge bars were showing on the dash when you plugged it in?

MarkBC said:
The plug was warm so it was still taking in juice and the blue lights were flashing.
Do you remember which lights were on solid and which were flashing? Perhaps the left two (viewed from outside the car) solid, and the third one flashing?

MarkBC said:
I had set it to 80% charge and when I turned the car on it maintained the 10 bars indicating "80%" (actually 83%).
No, not "actually". That 83% is meaningless nonsense invented by the Nissan website. The car reports the number of bars, and some idiot programmer figured that n/12 would give the percent charge (10/12 = 0.8333). That isn't the true charge level, for several reasons. (Bars may not be "full", bar capacities vary, you still have a lot of charge when you get to zero bars.)

Ray

Back