Charging at The Parking Spot (Century) LAX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfive

The charging stations at the LAX parking lots now require you to pay for parking, so I wanted to figure out what was in the area. Stumbled across a Chevy Volt forum where one user had said he went to The Parking Spot (Century) at LAX and they charged it for him as part of valet service. I regularly go to TPS anyway, so this was a great find. Drove my 2013 Leaf for the first time this week to the airport and upon arrival the guy checking me in agreed immediately to plug me in to the wall while I was away. He had apparently never seen a Leaf before (he had dealt with Volts), so I had to show him where the charging port was. I took the trickle charger with me from home (they don't have any charging equipment there as far as I know). After I got to my destination, I checked the status of my car with my LeafLink app and sure enough it was plugged in. I was a little nervous that TPS would lose my trickle charge cable, but when I returned it was on my back seat safe and sound. Plus, I got my car washed!

Anyway, thought LA Leafers would like to know about this option at LAX.

redfive said:
The charging stations at the LAX parking lots now require you to pay for parking, so I wanted to figure out what was in the area. Stumbled across a Chevy Volt forum where one user had said he went to The Parking Spot (Century) at LAX and they charged it for him as part of valet service. I regularly go to TPS anyway, so this was a great find. Drove my 2013 Leaf for the first time this week to the airport and upon arrival the guy checking me in agreed immediately to plug me in to the wall while I was away. He had apparently never seen a Leaf before (he had dealt with Volts), so I had to show him where the charging port was. I took the trickle charger with me from home (they don't have any charging equipment there as far as I know). After I got to my destination, I checked the status of my car with my LeafLink app and sure enough it was plugged in. I was a little nervous that TPS would lose my trickle charge cable, but when I returned it was on my back seat safe and sound. Plus, I got my car washed!

That's a good tip!

redfive said:

This is perfect for any overnight or longer trip. I'd probably tag my portable EVSE with my license plate number to help insure it stays with the car. Thanks for the tip.

You should disable them as they are just learning how these cars work there. It's best that they just plug it in and it starts charging.

Good call on adding your license plate number to the EVSE. That thing costs $1K to replace at Nissan. I was nervous, but figured I'd live dangerously.

Do they plug it in right away, or do they wait until the day before your return to do so? Although LAX does not normally get hot, for those of us with pre-2013 Leafs I am concerned about letting the car sit for a week or two at 100% charge. I suppose I could set a 7 day timer at 80% for 12:01 AM -11:59 PM, but then I'd have to re-do my timers again for when the car is not going to be left at the airport.

They plugged it in immediately. I wouldn't recommend asking the
to do anything complicated. They are just getting used to electric vehicles and I doubt they have a system to keep track of it yet. You can try, but I think you're more likely to be plugged in an hour before you arrive or something.

Back