Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They still make dash covers custom fit to your dash shape and size. I know they aren't as popular as they once were, but I just rode in an Uber with one last month. Should be an easy fix to the dash glare problem.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers

Excellent, now they just have to get GM to pay for them. It's either that or have them pay to replace the dash entirely, but there's no way owners should be on the hook for a safety issue like this. My Subie may not be the most aerodynamic beast, but the steep windshield and gray dash avoids most glare, and I agree that there should be a regulation requiring testing and certification of this, at least until we have full autonomy and all cars have dial-a-transparency/polarization windows.

GRA said:
... I'm mildly curious as to why you chose to use your RAV 4 instead of the better-suited Model S - was it just to advertise the JdeMO?

I've actually made the trip from Mexico to Canada many times, first in a brand new 2012 LEAF, then in both the 2015 Tesla Model S-70D, as well as 3 different 2012-2014 RAV4 EVs, one time pulling a trailer with a total of 1500 pounds of load.

The last trip made in June 2017 was done for two reasons:

1) It was the five year anniversary of the 9 day BC2BC trip of June 2012

2) I needed to deliver my car to its new owner who was going to use it in Canada

3) I wanted to set a benchmark for what could be done today with lowly 50kW infrastructure and a 3-5 year old EV

4) It's almost silly to do this in a Tesla... it's too easy

Sadly for the advancement of technology, I think I could beat a Bolt EV in a flat out race from Mexico to Canada in a RAV4 EV.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
... I'm mildly curious as to why you chose to use your RAV 4 instead of the better-suited Model S - was it just to advertise the JdeMO?
I've actually made the trip from Mexico to Canada many times, first in a brand new 2012 LEAF, then in both the 2015 Tesla Model S-70D, as well as 3 different 2012-2014 RAV4 EVs, one time pulling a trailer with a total of 1500 pounds of load.

The last trip made in June 2017 was done for two reasons:

1) It was the five year anniversary of the 9 day BC2BC trip of June 2012

2) I needed to deliver my car to its new owner who was going to use it in Canada

3) I wanted to set a benchmark for what could be done today with lowly 50kW infrastructure and a 3-5 year old EV

4) It's almost silly to do this in a Tesla... it's too easy

Sadly for the advancement of technology, I think I could beat a Bolt EV in a flat out race from Mexico to Canada in a RAV4 EV.
Thanks. Just for giggles it would be interesting to try the Bolt on the same route and see whether its greater range was outweighed by the RAV4's higher charge rate, but realistically neither car is well suited for such a trip.

GRA said:
Thanks. Just for giggles it would be interesting to try the Bolt on the same route and see whether its greater range was outweighed by the RAV4's higher charge rate, but realistically neither car is well suited for such a trip.
Would be interesting given that http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/electrichighway.htm in WA and OR along the I-5 was CHAdeMO only, with which obviously Tony could use JdeMO.

From a brief glance at Plugshare, it seems like the CCS infrastructure along I-5 on those 2 states isn't as good and has a bunch of those 24 kW Chargepoint-branded Bosch SAE Combo DC chargers.

Good news for GM.

TSLA? not so much...

Chevrolet Bolt Sets Consumer Reports' Electric-Vehicle Range Record

This affordable electric hatchback runs for 250 miles, beating all other models we've tested

The Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle has set the mark for all-electric-vehicle range in Consumer Reports' testing, reaching 250 miles on a single charge.

The Bolt is estimated to reach 238 miles by the Environmental Protection Agency. In our testing, electric vehicles tend to fall short of their EPA-estimated range, including the:

2016 Tesla Model S 75D, 235 miles achieved vs. 259-mile EPA estimate.
2016 Tesla Model X 90D, 230 miles achieved vs. 257-mile EPA estimate.
In our electric-vehicle range test, we put the Bolt head to head against our 2016 Tesla Model S 75D. The Tesla ran out of juice at 235 miles, while the Bolt motored on for another 15 miles...

CR’s electric-vehicle range test involves some mixed driving, but much of it is done by driving a constant 65 mph on a highway. If you were to meander on country roads at 45 mph, you might get even more range. To ensure repeatability, the CR tests are done with the air conditioning and heater off...
https://www.consumerreports.org/2017-chevrolet-bolt/chevrolet-bolt-sets-electric-vehicle-range-record/

With more than 300k T3 reservations and GM struggling to move Bolts off the lots I don't think Elon is going to lose any sleep over this.

Valdemar said:
With more than 300k T3 reservations and GM struggling to move Bolts off the lots I don't think Elon is going to lose any sleep over this.
Yes, Bolt sales were lousy last month.

It outsold both the Tesla X and Tesla S in the USA, however.

And when TSLA eventually begins public sales of the E, it might find it to be a problem that its base price is much higher, with much shorter range, than the Bolt.

I agree that elon probably won't lose any sleep over this.

If you down enough wine and ambien, you can sleep through anything...

Chevrolet Bolt Sets Consumer Reports' Electric-Vehicle Range Record
It doesn't say if the 75D was charged to 90% (default) or to 100%; nor what charge range settings was used on the Bolt (85% I think is the default).

I also don't think this has anything negative to say about TSLA.

edatoakrun said:
Valdemar said:
Yes, Bolt sales were lousy last month.

It outsold both the Tesla X and Tesla S in the USA, however.

And when TSLA eventually begins public sales of the E, it might find it to be a problem that its base price is much higher, with much shorter range, than the Bolt.

Given that the number of buyers cross shopping TSLA and GM will likely be insignificant I don't think the Bolt will erode TSLA sales much, something else might but not the Bolt. On the other hand, if the new Leaf can deliver reliable 150 miles of range I wouldn't be surprised if one will be able to get a Bolt with a steep mark-down at the end of this year.

Valdemar said:
... On the other hand, if the new Leaf can deliver reliable 150 miles of range I wouldn't be surprised if one will be able to get a Bolt with a steep mark-down at the end of this year.
You can get over $4,000 off list on a Bolt...TODAY.

http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2017/02/current-discounts-on-selected-evs.html

And within a few months, I expect you will be able to buy a Gen 2 LEAF base model for considerably less than a Bolt sells for TODAY...

The rapid drop in BEV prices we've experienced over the last few years is unlikely to stop soon, just when so many new BEVs are about to hit the market, and the competition is setting up to become fierce.

If TSLA ever builds a significant number of base-model 3s (and given TSLA's high production costs, that's not likely, IMO) It may not be able to sell them at a list price of $36,200 for very long.

edatoakrun said:
If TSLA ever builds a significant number of base-model 3s (and given TSLA's high production costs, that's not likely, IMO) It may not be able to sell them at a list price of $36,200 for very long.

I'm not sure I agree, following that logic BMW wouldn't be able to sell its 3-series at a premium as everyone would be buying Camrys and Accords.

Valdemar said:

Me neither. Range matters. Charging infrastructure matters more. Tesla has a coast-to-coast network of multi-bay >100kW charging stations. GM says that they have no intention of investing a dime in infrastructure. As a result, the CCS network will remain a cobbled-together system of poorly placed chargers for at least the remainder of the decade.

I expect the Bolt to drop significantly or it will need to be replaced. If it stays in production there should be big lease deals down the road.

This is pretty impressive:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/3/16089758/chevy-bolt-tesla-model-s-consumer-reports-range-test

Looking forward to buying a used Bolt in a few more years, once my 2013 Leaf's useable pack capacity drops below 16kWh on a full charge.

GetOffYourGas said:
Valdemar said:

Me neither. Range matters. Charging infrastructure matters more. Tesla has a coast-to-coast network of multi-bay >100kW charging stations. GM says that they have no intention of investing a dime in infrastructure. As a result, the CCS network will remain a cobbled-together system of poorly placed chargers for at least the remainder of the decade.
I expect the VW agreement will change that:
In its first National ZEV investment cycle, Electrify America will establish a network of 2,500+ non-proprietary electric vehicle chargers at more than 450 station sites.

Approximately 240 charging station sites will be installed or under development outside of California by the end of the first cycle. These sites will be located along high-traffic corridors between metropolitan areas, including multiple cross country routes, and will include between four and ten individual DC fast chargers at each location.
Charging sites will be present in 38 U.S. states, built along corridors with a high correlation with the EV Charging Corridors recently designated by the Federal government.
Stations chargers will be extremely powerful, capable of delivering 150 kW or 350 kW to vehicles.
Sites will be, on average, about 70 miles apart, with no more than 120 miles between stations, meaning many shorter range ZEVs available today will be able to use this network. . . .
That's $300 million for the first 30 months (which will take us to the end of the decade), not counting the first $200 million they have to spend in California. Here's a map of those planned EV Charging Corridors:

Screen-Shot-2016-11-04-at-1.png

Aside from the obvious I-5 and I-95 corridors, this is a far more rational deployment of the first X-C corridor than Tesla's was (no ridiculous detour across southern MN and SD or eastern WY), as well as providing an exit from the Texas island much earlier.

Back