Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Hmmm. New software tricked me into double posting.
It's been doing that, as it often posts but still shows you on the posting page. I've made more unintentional double posts since the changeover than I did in the preceding 3+ years. And many if not most of the sub-forums now seem to be set to not allow deleting posts (but then why offer it as an option on those sub-forums, if it's not allowed), making it impossible to get rid of them short of having a moderator do it.

Re: Soul EV. I beg to differ. It's spacious, 5-people comfort, slightly smaller trunk. It' shorter b/c of that which makes it not stick out when parked parallel, and still holds plenty of groceries.

And it goes 93-98 real-world miles, today! Not in 2016.

ILETRIC said:
Re: Soul EV. I beg to differ. It's spacious, 5-people comfort, slightly smaller trunk. It' shorter b/c of that which makes it not stick out when parked parallel, and still holds plenty of groceries.
How about groceries and stroller. That is where the extra length of leaf helps.

Having compared the Leaf and the Soul EV side by side I would have guessed the Kia trunk space was half. Specs say otherwise. Kia: 18.8 cf. Leaf 24.
http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/features
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2015/features-specs/

evnow said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
K. Thanks.

Looks smaller than LEAF, not much storage volume.

Tiny headlights.
Yes, I think this will be like Soul EV. Good for people without kids.

Yup. And that small size, more than the range/recharge time, will be the reason the Bolt probably couldn't be my "road trip" car. GM stunted the Volt with a tiny trunk*, looks like they want to keep EVs confined to the small car niche.

*To clarify this statement - I have no issue with the Volt itself. What I take issue with is GM having teased us with the Voltec-based MPV5 crossover, and then giving us the ELR as the next Voltec product instead. The result is a complete lack of an affordable people-hauler with a plug in the US.

I'm wondering if these pictures are of the Bolt. I can't see how something that small can house a 200 mile battery. The car in the picture looks too small to house the Volt's 50 mile battery, let alone a battery with a 200 mile range. I would think you would need a vehicle with the footprint the size of a Tesla not the tiny car in the picture.

LKK said:
I'm wondering if these pictures are of the Bolt. I can't see how something that small can house a 200 mile battery. The car in the picture looks too small to house the Volt's 50 mile battery, let alone a battery with a 200 mile range. I would think you would need a vehicle with the footprint the size of a Tesla not the tiny car in the picture.
It looks like what GM showed in the auto show as the concept car - so it should be !

One thing to note is Bolt will use the next gen battery - reportedly 40% denser. Also since it is a new platform built from ground up to accommodate EVs, the battery is likely spread out through out the floor of the car. Along with the tallish stature, this should give Bolt enough space to accommodate 55 kWh or so it would take to have a 200 miles EPA range.

GetOffYourGas said:
Yup. And that small size, more than the range/recharge time, will be the reason the Bolt probably couldn't be my "road trip" car. GM stunted the Volt with a tiny trunk*, looks like they want to keep EVs confined to the small car niche.

I agree, I need something that is at least the size of the Leaf. I may have to wait for a Tesla Model 3 or an Infiniti LE.

asimba2 said:
GetOffYourGas said:

I agree, I need something that is at least the size of the Leaf. I may have to wait for a Tesla Model 3 or an Infiniti LE.
Same here.
I'm very excited about the thought of a 200 mile range BEV but the size of the Bolt won't work for my family w two growing boys. Waiting for longer range leaf and eventually the model 3.

I've been thinking about whether or not an EV with a 200 mile range would suit me and I don't think it would. My longest regular trip is to visit my parents who live 180 miles from me- 100 miles on the interstate (65-70 mph), about 60-65 miles on rural highways (45-55 mph) and the rest below 45.
I don't think an EV with a 200 mile range would make it, without a stop to recharge. I would guess that it world add and extra 2 hours into the drive. That's certainly doable but not worth it for me. If also like to be able to drive from my house to nashville, which is around 200 miles.
I would prefer an EV with 250-300 miles of range just to feel comfortable.

@ Jamieo - that all depends on charging infrastructure. I drove my Leaf 175 miles the other day, in one day, and it has a rated range of 84 miles. I stopped to quick charge 3 times (when it was convenient) for 10 - 15 minutes each time. I didn't even start the day with a full charge, and still had no problems. So you can definitely take a 200 mile BEV on a 200 mile trip to your parents' house provided there is some infrastructure along the way. If there is a quickcharger you would only need to stop for 15 minutes or so, on a L2 a bit longer. And assuming you would spend the day at your parents' house you could trickle charge there to regain quite a bit of range. Not sure where you live but you mentioned Nashville, and there is some infrastructure there. If you don't have the Plugshare app on your phone yet, get it, it is invaluable. That will allow you to see the types and proximity of chargers in your area so you can make an intelligent choice. Good luck! And for what it's worth, I love my Leaf, and never want to go back to the ICE age.

Bufordleaf said:
@ Jamieo - that all depends on charging infrastructure. I drove my Leaf 175 miles the other day, in one day, and it has a rated range of 84 miles. I stopped to quick charge 3 times (when it was convenient) for 10 - 15 minutes each time. I didn't even start the day with a full charge, and still had no problems. So you can definitely take a 200 mile BEV on a 200 mile trip to your parents' house provided there is some infrastructure along the way. If there is a quickcharger you would only need to stop for 15 minutes or so, on a L2 a bit longer. And assuming you would spend the day at your parents' house you could trickle charge there to regain quite a bit of range. Not sure where you live but you mentioned Nashville, and there is some infrastructure there. If you don't have the Plugshare app on your phone yet, get it, it is invaluable. That will allow you to see the types and proximity of chargers in your area so you can make an intelligent choice. Good luck! And for what it's worth, I love my Leaf, and never want to go back to the ICE age.

Oh yes, of course. Currently, there are not any places for quick charging on those routes. If there were, then things would be totally different. Maybe at some point in the future, things would change but that will not likely be in the near future. There are none outside of Memphis until you get to Nashville or to Clarksville. There are a couple of L2 Blink stations in Jackson and a couple in Paris.

The battery pack is almost certainly in the floor of the Bolt EV, so it should have plenty of volume to hold the cells it needs to get the predicted range.

And the Bolt EV looks like it has at least as much interior room as the i3 and that is probably good for my tall family of four.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bolt-ev-concept-car.html

JUST ANNOUNCED: CHEVROLET COMMITS TO BOLT EV PRODUCTION

Chevrolet confirmed production of its next-generation pure electric vehicle, based on the Bolt EV concept. It will be built at the GM Orion Assembly facility in Michigan.

The Bolt EV concept was introduced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Alan Batey, president, General Motors North America, made the following announcement shortly before the Chicago Auto Show:

“The message from consumers about the Bolt EV concept was clear and unequivocal: build it.” said Batey. “We are moving quickly because of its potential to completely shake up the status quo for electric vehicles as the first affordable long-range EV in the market.”
Information at your fingertips.
A central touch screen gives the driver access to an array of electronic readouts with only a tap or two on the large, 10-inch diagonal screen.
A smarter car.
The Bolt Connect app would provide drivers with an unprecedented level of vehicle control. Incorporating automatic park-and-retrieval technology†, owners will be able to exit the vehicle and tell Bolt EV to park itself while they run errands, then summon it to their location when they’re done.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/CYNPtKq.png
CYNPtKq.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/MxKYdbq.png
MxKYdbq.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/WD6NX4H.png
WD6NX4H.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/XTsvHyi.png
XTsvHyi.png

scottf200 said:
http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bolt-ev-concept-car.html
JUST ANNOUNCED: CHEVROLET COMMITS TO BOLT EV PRODUCTION
FYI - Chevy announced this in Feb 2015. (I also think that is when that page was updated.)

Back