Chevy Volt will cost $41,000, Lease for $350

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They only want you to lease the car if you're in a roll-out area, according to the NY Times - they reported that folks from other areas could only purchase and only from a dealer in a roll-out area.

One other point - the $41,000 appears to be base price - a fully loaded Volt is $44,600.

It's still nasty that they're pointing to the Leaf as their competition. :(

AndyH said:

Why ? I think the competition is among Prius, Volt & Leaf. Afterall, you can consider Beer, Pop, Wine and bottled water as competitors ;)

evnow said:
AndyH said:

Why ? I think the competition is among Prius, Volt & Leaf. Afterall, you can consider Bear, Pop, Wine and bottled water as competitors ;)

Yeah - and why go after the Prius, anyway? What's with that paltry 50-55mpg in gas mode? The Volt's got to be better than that...but...what is the Volt's fuel economy with the engine running?

Oh, snap...ignore all that. Now I know why the Volt team is drawing our attention away from the hybrid world - because they don't want us to look at this:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/07/2...ted-plug-in-prius-boasts-40-mile-electric-ra/

PICC's latest converted plug-in Prius boasts 40-mile electric range, 245 mpg

PICC's latest achievement is perhaps its crowning glory. By stuffing a 12.5 kWh Gold Peak lithium-ion battery pack into the confines of a 2010 Toyota Prius, PICC has managed to create a plug-in hybrid that's capable of driving at highway speeds for up to 40 miles under electric power alone. The 40-mile range far exceeds that of Toyota's own plug-in Prius and matches the capability of the Chevrolet Volt. The converted Prius recently competed in a 24-mile road rally outside of Madison, WI and PICC claims the converted Prius averaged a remarkable 245 miles per gallon over the 24-mile course that included travel on county roads, city streets and highways.

Well done, GM! :lol: :p

evnow said:
AndyH said:

Why ? I think the competition is among Prius, Volt & Leaf. Afterall, you can consider Bear, Pop, Wine and bottled water as competitors ;)

Wow, it's been a while since I drank Bear...ah, memories.

:)

Gavin

Interesting that the Volt will not be available for lease in all markets. The decision will make LEAF much more attractive for many.

LEAFguy said:
Interesting that the Volt will not be available for lease in all markets. The decision will make LEAF much more attractive for many.

that is debatable. i know someone in MO who got his Leaf "confirm" for his purchase invite for fall of 2011. he also registered on April 20th so the Leaf will be limited release as well. i would assume his invite covers both leasing or purchasing

garygid said:
Approximately ...

Kia $14k for an ICE
Prius $23k parallel hybrid
LEAF $33k EV
Volt $41k serial hybrid

Seems (to me) like a lot of after-tax money to spend for wheels.
I don't necessarily disagree ... but the bottom two should be adjusted for the tax incentives that exist.

I heard on NPR today that the $41,000 Volt is the base model, but with extras ("loaded") it will be about $45,000. Yikes.

Back