clicking noise from front end while taking off - returned

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigt

I have leased 2 different 2013 sl's within the last 3 weeks and my first car didn't click on or off the accelerator pedal, but my current one does..... So i went to my dealer and asked to test drive another sl and didn't either. It made the noise from day one....So on monday ill be dropping it off to diagnose . It makes 2 to 3 clicking sounds from a dead stop and as well as from a coast down from 35 to 17 mph range.. click click. click click.. Mainly heard with windows up.. music off... Or while bouncing off cement curb or wall. very noticeable. Others on this forum had similar issues also, maybe a reduction gear defect..
While trying to figure out the cause I've learned it doesn't do it while in neutral while coming to a stop at all.. It does make this sound every take off and stop.. will see what happens

Here's something that can cause this kind of a noise: a bad CV joint. Such a noise will be much more noticeable in the Leaf because it is otherwise so quiet. It will be louder when the joint is under load (accelerating/decelerating). If it is indeed the CV joint, it's just a bad part that came from Nissan's supplier that way, and would be replaced by dealer under warranty.

I was thinking cv joint also at first, or maybe even a loose motor mount.

The noise is very dependable to recreate.

the noise doesn't show it self at all when i bump into neutral then come to a stop at whatever speed.

In fact my leaf has been unmoved at the dealer because they have special leaf engineers/ mechanics in route . I was able to show their head mechanic in house the noise with and how it doesn't without being in gear. Will see how it goes. I plan on at least getting a picture of the part that was the culprit.
Ill reply when i get my car back sometime next week i hope.I hate being back on gas, already at a quarter tank down in a day. Wish sjpn still had loaner leafs.

i had service bulletin ntb12-055b performed on my 14 day old leaf and now the clicking is gone.

it was lubing up the inside and outside bearing and hub surfaces.

very glad it was easy fix for such a annoying problem .

after a long drive on the freeway the clicks return to their normal glory. but because of my local nissan dealerships not having any loaner service leafs I don't care to drive a altima any more.. it will get fixed on the next 3 month service i hope. :D

Be careful it may catch on fire from all that clicking and your insurance won't cover the repairs. I would take the car back and demand a refund.

Sometimes your weird comments are at least funny but this one is just simply odd with no discernible humor...

EVDRIVER said:
Be careful it may catch on fire from all that clicking and your insurance won't cover the repairs. I would take the car back and demand a refund.

Or I can come park it at your shack and wait for it to burn on its own from your great attitude and moderation skills ... You must have a non ul complainant irritation . You may want a qualified ee to look at that or a psychologist. Im fine with making sure my house and love ones aren't in jeopardy from a poor purchasing decisions just to save money.. Wish i would have known the punch is so strong daniel son .. Its like ktm's at the adventure riders forum ... Some people like to ride other bikes too ... Firemans fund insurance doesn't cover my 5 million in coverages with a non ul device if it started the fire... Thats all.. You need to go moderate quietly on your own .... Asked a simple question and got attacked by the mob...

Social media, ya gotta love it.

I had the annoying click on acceleration, found this thread. Car is 6 weeks old. Called my dealer service department:

Me: I have the 'click on acceleration problem.
Service: Huh?
Me: You know, the annoying click on acceleration problem.
Service: No, have not had any cars come in with that. Have not heard of it.
Me: Oh, look up service bulletin number ntb12-055b
Service: <sound of typing> Can I call you back?

They called back in about 20 minutes, I dropped the car that night and it was fixed the next day. It's been a couple of hundred miles and no more clicking.

Unfortunately, mine returned in a little over 1,000 miles...

teichholtz said:
They called back in about 20 minutes, I dropped the car that night and it was fixed the next day. It's been a couple of hundred miles and no more clicking.

so does your car not click while coasting and braking to a stop while in neutral.Tomt?

I bet the lube somehow made the friction reduce near the offending part for a while to make the clicking noise to disappear temporarily .

The repair tech said that this was number #1 on a list of 5 things to try if i remember correctly.

I'm trying to find a dealer that will loan me a leaf while being serviced atm.

I am thinking this maybe the dreaded reduction gear that others have had replaced to fix the issue.

bigt said:
I am thinking this maybe the dreaded reduction gear that others have had replaced to fix the issue.

Others?
Do we have more cases? I remember only one thread where one leaf was fixed like this...
Did we have more cases?

I have pretty much the same issue, and feels like it becomes worse... Starting with one click now it's more like crackling even on moderate accelerations/decelerations... and dealer conveniently "can't hear it..."

Yes, mine does it when you are moving slowly when either acceleration, coasting or decelerating. It happens at a much faster pitch than CV joints.. It rather sounds like what one would expect the balls in the wheel bearing to make... It went away for about 1,000 miles when they lubricated the bearings as per the TSB but has since come back...

bigt said:
so does your car not click while coasting and braking to a stop while in neutral.Tomt?

my car will not make the decelerating click sound if i bump it in neutral before slow down from any speed above 17 mph. but it will return on the next acceleration for a click and repeat.

I havew taken my 2018 Nissan leaf SV in 4 times for this issue since it was new. They di the NTV-055B service bulitin the 1st time I took it in. This fixed it for about a week and the noise came back. Last time they changed the front brake pads. Nothing has fixed this. It knocks once or twice on every hard stop and hard accell. I'm takling it into Nissan for the 5 time Monday Dec 1st. They say they may need to replace the axles. I have to leave the car with them. Other than this persisting issue the car has been great.

Back