Climate control timer I lose 1 charge bar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmobob

I need some clarification on how the climate control timer is supposed to work. I set the climate control timer function for the first time this week since i've owned the car to 8AM along with the charge timer to 80% set to end charge at 7:45AM. When I get in the car around 8:30 - 8:45AM the cabin feels like it's been warmed up however I look at the dash and I'm missing 1 charge bar :shock: , I get 9 instead of the 10. I thought the climate control was only supposed to use my house outlet electricity to warm the car and not the battery. I plug in the car at 7 PM the night before to a level 2 charger I'm sure it's not because the battery hasn't had enough time to charge plus the charge timer is set as priority. Can someone clarify..

I THINK it has to do with ambient temperature and how long CC has been on.

I do not use the CC timer, but lately with the advent of cooler weather I have been using remote turn on of the CC. Usually I end up with more than 80% charge (perhaps 11 bars) and a toasty warm car. Today was quite a bit colder, about 38° F, and I only gave the CC about 10 minutes before I unplugged. Car was warm, but I had lost a bar, just like you.

Maybe end the charge earlier and start CC earlier?

You might want to set the CC timer to your expected departure time or a bit after, since there is no point in heating the car up early and letting it heat your garage; the LEAF, like most cars, is not well insulated and does not hold heat all that well.

If you set charge priority the car shouldn't turn on the CC system "until 10 segments of the Li-ion battery available charge gauge are illuminated." (Nav manual page 2-10) But the initial heating takes more power than the Level 2 EVSE can supply, so some of the heating will likely come from the battery, until it backs off to just maintain the heat level in the liquid reservoir. So, "charge priority" has to do with making sure you are near an 80% charge before allowing the CC system to function, not with keeping the charge level at 80%.

I would have expected that the car would begin charging again to get back to 80% but it may be that the decline in charge is so small that it isn't enough to trigger the charger to turn back on, especially since your end time was 7:45 AM (and the charge likely finished an hour or two before then). Be aware that the tenth bar on an 80% charge is more like 9.6 to 9.7 bars, so even a slight decrease in overall charge will show up as nine bars displayed, even if the charge is actually 9.4 bars or so. So, don't assume that because the fuel gauge displays nine bars instead of ten it means that you are down one full bar from your desired 80%—not so!

I suggest that you try setting your charge end time to a half hour or so after you plan to leave and set your CC timer to 0 to 10 minutes after you plan to leave; you will likely find that the car warms up plenty by then, although it depends on how cold the car is. (I use fifteen minutes after I plan to leave, albeit with CC timer priority, otherwise the car heats up too much.) And don't worry about the car not being at precisely 80% charge when you leave.

I'll try your suggestion. Thanks

dgpcolorado said:
You might want to set the CC timer to your expected departure time or a bit after, since there is no point in heating the car up early and letting it heat your garage; the LEAF, like most cars, is not well insulated and does not hold heat all that well.

If you set charge priority the car shouldn't turn on the CC system "until 10 segments of the Li-ion battery available charge gauge are illuminated." (Nav manual page 2-10) But the initial heating takes more power than the Level 2 EVSE can supply, so some of the heating will likely come from the battery, until it backs off to just maintain the heat level in the liquid reservoir. So, "charge priority" has to do with making sure you are near an 80% charge before allowing the CC system to function, not with keeping the charge level at 80%.

I would have expected that the car would begin charging again to get back to 80% but it may be that the decline in charge is so small that it isn't enough to trigger the charger to turn back on, especially since your end time was 7:45 AM (and the charge likely finished an hour or two before then). Be aware that the tenth bar on an 80% charge is more like 9.6 to 9.7 bars, so even a slight decrease in overall charge will show up as nine bars displayed, even if the charge is actually 9.4 bars or so. So, don't assume that because the fuel gauge displays nine bars instead of ten it means that you are down one full bar from your desired 80%—not so!

I suggest that you try setting your charge end time to a half hour or so after you plan to leave and set your CC timer to 0 to 10 minutes after you plan to leave; you will likely find that the car warms up plenty by then, although it depends on how cold the car is. (I use fifteen minutes after I plan to leave, albeit with CC timer priority, otherwise the car heats up too much.) And don't worry about the car not being at precisely 80% charge when you leave.

elmobob said:
... I thought the climate control was only supposed to use my house outlet electricity to warm the car and not the battery. I plug in the car at 7 PM the night before to a level 2 charger I'm sure it's not because the battery hasn't had enough time to charge plus the charge timer is set as priority. Can someone clarify..
It isn't quite that smart. What it does is run the charger (keeps drawing power from the wall) AND run the CC. If the heater uses more than the wall provides, then the car uses some battery power to make up the difference. If the wall provides more than the heater is drawing, the battery charges. Are you charging from 120v or 240v? I don't believe 120v charging can provide enough to cover the heater draw, at least not until the car has gotten up to temp.

davewill said:
It isn't quite that smart. What it does is run the charger (keeps drawing power from the wall) AND run the CC. If the heater uses more than the wall provides, then the car uses some battery power to make up the difference. If the wall provides more than the heater is drawing, the battery charges. Are you charging from 120v or 240v? I don't believe 120v charging can provide enough to cover the heater draw, at least not until the car has gotten up to temp.
240V

If you're concerned, you might want to actually start the CC a bit earlier and that would give it time to get the car warm, drop it's power consumption and allow the charger to top off the bit of power that was used.

In the scheme of things, I think bar 10 is not a "full bar" when you charge to 80% so you probably haven't lost a lot of charge to the CC. I've always consistently gotten about 2.2 miles towards work before bar 10 drops (1 mile local, 1.2 highway).

I find it convenient to use the phone app for climate control. That way I can tailor the start time more closely to how my schedule is progressing on any particular morning.

davewill and ebill3 might be right, this morning it wasn't as cold outside, mid 40s instead of last week in the low 30s, left the climate timer as is and had 10 bars when I got into the car. Since I park and charge my car outdoors, the heater power draw might go beyond the 3 kw the 240v charger can supply on those very cold days. Thanks for clarifying..

Back