Climate Control Timer - Simple question....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaka

Although this is somewhat vague in the owners manual, it talks mainly about the charging of the in conjunction with the Climate Control Timer. It also talks about priority etc etc...

My question is simple:
Does the Climate Control Timer operate/function/work if the car is not plugged in?

From what I can tell, the answer is NO! We've only had our leave ~3 weeks ... still every day I've left work finding the car frigid cold here in the temps we've had lately (teens and 20s deg F). I'm standing in my garage right now with a departure timer set and it doesn't seem to function/work. I'll test w/plugged in . but at work I have no means to "plug in" ...

Just making sure I didn't miss a setting. I can manually start climate and yes I know it runs 15mins... however, since my commute to work is short enough that I'll always have 60-75% remaining battery, I'd love to have the car pre-heat if possible... without needing to do so manually. Am I SOL?

Plugged it in and of course the climate control fires right up... so I think I answered my own question. Still bummed it can't work unplugged and automatic...

In the Climate Control panel there are two options 1) Charge Priority 2) Climate Priority. Set this to climate priority, otherwise the car will not turn on unless you are above 80% charge, thats why is started when it was plugged in.

Shaka said:
My question is simple:
Does the Climate Control Timer operate/function/work if the car is not plugged in?
Yes. At least it does with the 2011. If not plugged in, timer or remote CC will only operate for 15 minutes. Two hours if plugged in.

smcclure said:
In the Climate Control panel there are two options 1) Charge Priority 2) Climate Priority. Set this to climate priority, otherwise the car will not turn on unless you are above 80% charge, thats why is started when it was plugged in.

So is my car not operating properly? I'm at 6-bars (roughly 50% on the GOM) ... even with Climate Control given Priority, the Climate Timer will NOT engage. Only starts once I plug the car in.... what am I missing here? :(

Shaka said:
smcclure said:

So is my car not operating properly? I'm at 6-bars (roughly 50% on the GOM) ... even with Climate Control given Priority, the Climate Timer will NOT engage. Only starts once I plug the car in.... what am I missing here?
Well, I don't know.

Eliminate possible conflicts. Turn charge timers off.
And, of course, the time you set is an end time - the time you want to depart, not the time you want the CC to turn on.
Can you start CC remotely with a smart phone or a computer while not plugged in?

I am away from my Leaf right now so I cannot look at the manual, but I am pretty sure that the CC timer in the car will only start Heat or A/C when plugged in. You can use CarWings to set a time for CC to turn on and it will work that one time on battery power (will run for 15 minutes at time setting).

Gerry

When we first procured the car I didn't have any charge times set. For the first two weeks of ownership we didn't have any charge timers set, only climate timers. And it was climate priority. And it still never pre-heated the car. I even played with the time to set it to end such that I walked out during the 15-minute window (departure = 4:50pm, I was at the car at 4:40pm) and it still was not on. This was not plugged in.

Oh and yes... I can turn on the CC with the iOS app fine, and also from the carwings website. So it works GREAT in those situations... my goal is to have it pre-heat the car before I leave work, but automatically. My car always has a full charge when I leave for work, and my drive to work is <15 miles. So usually I have 75% of battery left approx at work...

Hmmm... :(

GerryAZ said:
I am away from my Leaf right now so I cannot look at the manual, but I am pretty sure that the CC timer in the car will only start Heat or A/C when plugged in. You can use CarWings to set a time for CC to turn on and it will work that one time on battery power (will run for 15 minutes at time setting).

The manual is not super-clear but that is what I gleamed from it too.... that the only way to use the CC timer is on plug-in. Otherwise, you are limited to using the CarWings app/website to set a one-time timer. Sounds like you agree/concur...

Shaka said:
GerryAZ said:

The manual is not super-clear but that is what I gleamed from it too.... that the only way to use the CC timer is on plug-in. Otherwise, you are limited to using the CarWings app/website to set a one-time timer. Sounds like you agree/concur...

I think there is a good reason for this behavior: If the daily in-car CC timer functioned on battery power, you could easily park at the airport and come home to a low battery after the LEAF cooled itself every day for a week.

Gerry

Shaka said:
Looks like that is the way it is. I stand corrected, sorry about that. I have always used remote turn on, so assumed................ :oops:

Bill

Back