Cold Weather driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmeitz

Noticed today as the temp went from 70 yesterday to 28 today that my normal commute that consumes 4 bars took 6 today which i assume has to do with temp. I did not have my heater on or seats. Is it normal to drop two bars? usually i have a 25 mile commute and show 58 miles left, today shows 42.

jmeitz said:
Noticed today as the temp went from 70 yesterday to 28 today that my normal commute that consumes 4 bars took 6 today which i assume has to do with temp. I did not have my heater on or seats. Is it normal to drop two bars? usually i have a 25 mile commute and show 58 miles left, today shows 42.
With the caveat that the fuel bars and GOM are rather crude measuring devices, yes, a sharp drop in temperature will have a significant effect on mileage efficiency and range.

What's going on?

1) If your car is parked in the cold, the lower battery temperature will allow it to hold less charge (but charging and driving will warm it up somewhat).

2) Cold air is more dense and causes greater air resistance (drag). This is particularly important if you drive at highway speeds and less so below 35 mph.

3) Cold tires and gear lube lead to greater rolling resistance. (Be aware that cold tires will have lower air pressure and that you should check it and add air as needed. As you may know, the 36 psi recommended by Nissan is too low and you will likely get better mileage efficiency and better tire wear at around 40 psi.)

If you would like to track the changes in range at lower temperatures more accurately I suggest that you get an aftermarket meter of some sort. I like the Leaf DD device, but the Leaf Spy app for android phones is also very popular here.

dgpcolorado said:
jmeitz said:
With the caveat that the fuel bars and GOM are rather crude measuring devices, yes, a sharp drop in temperature will have a significant effect on mileage efficiency and range.

What's going on?

1) If your car is parked in the cold, the lower battery temperature will allow it to hold less charge (but charging and driving will warm it up somewhat). Garage 55 degrees

2) Cold air is more dense and causes greater air resistance (drag). This is particularly important if you drive at highway speeds and less so below 35 mph. 70 mph but actual speed 65

3) Cold tires and gear lube lead to greater rolling resistance. (Be aware that cold tires will have lower air pressure and that you should check it and add air as needed. As you may know, the 36 psi recommended by Nissan is too low and you will likely get better mileage efficiency and better tire wear at around 40 psi.) Need to check tire pressure.

If you would like to track the changes in range at lower temperatures more accurately I suggest that you get an aftermarket meter of some sort. I like the Leaf DD device, but the Leaf Spy app for android phones is also very popular here.

jmeitz said:
Garage 55 degrees
That is warm enough that, with the heating from charging, it will not be a large factor in reduced range. Your battery capacity might be down a few percent as compared to 70º; more if the battery was warmer than 70º before (very likely).
70 mph but actual speed 65
You will take a significant hit to range at that speed in cold air. I'll guess about 5%, perhaps a bit more.
Need to check tire pressure.
How much this will matter depends on how low the pressure in the tires. In addition, it is hard to quantify how much cold tires and gear lube really affect range.

Add up all the factors and it isn't surprising to see the indications of range loss when going from 70º to 28º. Just as gas mileage in an ICE car drops in cold weather, even though most people don't pay attention to it.

Welcome to seasonal range loss :D

Like a lot of things in winter, it requires a little more planning and energy input.

But, makes the return of warm weather that much more enjoyable.

Destinations at the limits of my range when I first drove it last winter were much easier trips in summer.

Yep, I've noticed the difference too. I've checked my tire pressure to make sure it's still at 41 and it is. My garage isn't heated, but it's not quite as cold as it is outside. I haven't changed anything in my driving pattern at all...same time, same route, same traffic, etc... In the summer, I'd return home with about 48% battery. I now get home with about 40% if I don't use the heater, 35% or less if I do.

jmeitz
That's what I saw last winter here in KC. I didn't get quite get the hit Monday that I expected but I charged to 100% because I knew I was going to be using the heater more if only to preheat the cabin. Don't forget that dropping from 61* to 17* which is what it did here will also compress the air in your tires so they are less inflated now than they were before and that will impact your range as well.

Gotta love Midwest weather. It's supposed to be 70* again on Sunday.

Back