Commute to Renton, WA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsand

I just joined this site and I am impressed with the amount of information people are sharing about the Nissan Leaf. I really want an EV but I am concerned about "range anxiety", etc. I did visit a couple of dealers and was given the opportunity to drive a few Leaf demo vehicles over the past few months. I have tried to simulate my commute which is from Edmonds, WA to Renton, WA. The RT is about 70 miles each day and this includes my need to transport my kids to school etc.

So, I was wondering if there was someone here already, from Seattle area, that might be familiar with my commute route(s) and traffic issues and owns a Leaf, who might give me some insight about how well the vehicle performs here.

Thanks!

willsand said:
I just joined this site and I am impressed with the amount of information people are sharing about the Nissan Leaf. I really want an EV but I am concerned about "range anxiety", etc. I did visit a couple of dealers and was given the opportunity to drive a few Leaf demo vehicles over the past few months. I have tried to simulate my commute which is from Edmonds, WA to Renton, WA. The RT is about 70 miles each day and this includes my need to transport my kids to school etc.

So, I was wondering if there was someone here already, from Seattle area, that might be familiar with my commute route(s) and traffic issues and owns a Leaf, who might give me some insight about how well the vehicle performs here.

Thanks!
For what it's worth, I do a weekend commute from north Seattle (right by Northgate) to Carnation where my horse is. That's about 68 miles round trip, much of it on the freeway (and the last chunk on the way there entirely uphill), and I can make that trip without any trouble problem -- even without topping up in Redmond. Not quite the same trip, in terms of highway distance and all, but still.

willsand said:

Thanks!

I would not recommend it unless you can charge your car at each destination. I've done the commute on 405 from Lynnwood to Bellevue and back and it eats up 9 bars with speeds at 60-65. There are a lot of hills in this route, also in colder weather you are looking at reduced range. Realistically for freeway driving on 405 you are looking at 50 mile range with Leaf and in better weather you could probably push above 60.

In fairness, on my drive out to the edge of the Carnation area, I can coast back downhill for quite a way on Union Hill Road in Redmond until I hit 520, which is probably why I don't really have an issue with the range for that trip even without topping off. If you don't have a similar long downhill coast, getting that sort of range consistently might be a little trickier.

I live in Shoreline and I think it's plenty doable on a single charge. You will need to be willing to take the time to learn some basic conservation techniques. I think the car comes with some decent tools to help you get the most out of the range. Traffic generally helps the equation, assuming you don't have to use the heater, that's the one thing I find will really eat into mileage. The guesometer takes you for a bit of a roller coaster for the first 3/4 of the "tank" but you begin to learn that the remaining miles estimate for the last 25% or so becomes quite accurate, at least in my experience and as you have likely read, focussing on the bars left helps. After a while you get accustom to what it takes to do certain routes and with time it gets a lot more relaxed. Lately I"m getting 70+ miles on an 80% charge with a fair amount of hills and highway driving and up to 4 total passengers. If you can plug into a 20A/120V grounded outlet at work with the EVSE that comes with the car, then it's a piece of cake... and I'd highly recommend it so you can 80% charge routinely. I have not gone through a winter here yet with the car and do not have a sense of how the cold will effect range, though I keep the car in a semi climate controlled garage and am expecting the battery to have enough mass that the moderate climate here will hopefully have little effect.

with a 100% charge I have gone to and from Olympia and Shoreline at highway speeds, I think it was 73 miles door to door and still had around 8 miles left on the meter.

I'd be happy to go for a nice long spin with you some time, if that would help, drop me a line, I don't need much of an excuse to drive the LEAF, it's a really fun and interesting vehicle!

g

willsand said:
You can do 70 miles, but you have to drive conservatively. Ability to charge a bit at work would help - so will a few alternate routes.

Also try the Facebook group - Seattle Nissan Leaf Owners - lot more Seattle Leafers frequent there than here.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_162244573806988&ap=1

GaslessInSeattle said:
with a 100% charge I have gone to and from Olympia and Shoreline at highway speeds, I think it was 73 miles door to door and still had around 8 miles left on the meter.

That's one way 73 miles, you would have to wait half a day to charge it for return commute. Also, I am pretty sure you did not use CC and kept speed below 60 miles, so I wonder if you would make this commute in colder weather. If you don't drive Leaf conservatively you'll find the range a lot shorter especially with freeway driving.

Wow! What a great response! Thanks for all the feedback!

Today my house was assessed for a charging station. Looks like I qualify with some minor adjustments for the credit towards its installation. So, I am more encouraged now toward the purchase.

I truly appreciate all the insight. I have suggested to my employer that we need to consider becoming part of the the new Eco system for charging stations, etc. Have not heard back except that the admin folks are going to have the facilities dept. look into it. So, for now I am nor sure if the ability to charge while at work is an option. I may know more in the next week or so.

On Wednesday I drove from Shoreline (N 175th) to SouthCenter mall, then to Fry's in Renton, up 405 N to Kirkland, then via 124th, to N 100th, and Simonds Road and over to Bothell Way. Then up Ballinger Way to that windy street that goes from near 3rd Place Commons to NE 15th in North City. Then back to my house. Used the A/C for part of the time as I was stuck in rush hour traffic and it was HOT. Also had 3 people in the car, but still had 32 miles range left when I got home.

So, I think you could make your trip without a problem. Check the exact mileage and if you're under 75, you should be safe under almost all conditions you're likely to see here. (No 110F days here!)

GoSolar said:
On Wednesday I drove from Shoreline (N 175th) to SouthCenter mall, then to Fry's in Renton, up 405 N to Kirkland, then via 124th, to N 100th, and Simonds Road and over to Bothell Way. Then up Ballinger Way to that windy street that goes from near 3rd Place Commons to NE 15th in North City. Then back to my house. Used the A/C for part of the time as I was stuck in rush hour traffic and it was HOT. Also had 3 people in the car, but still had 32 miles range left when I got home.

So, I think you could make your trip without a problem. Check the exact mileage and if you're under 75, you should be safe under almost all conditions you're likely to see here. (No 110F days here!)

That's very misleading. You were stuck in traffic which only gives you a better range, also, it's unclear how much of freeway you were driving and at what speeds. A/C doesn't use as much energy as heater does, so 6-8 month out of the year you range will be shorter with heater usage and cold weather.

I've personally did a test run from Bothell to Lynnwood (44th) to Renton Fry's and back to Bothell with a total mileage about 73 miles with 6 showing remaining. I was driving with cruise control set to 62 mph on ECO with occasional A/C on. However, that's not how I normally drive, I am usually going with the traffic flow and I don't use any techniques to increase my efficiency, as a result of that I don't get great range.

I would still say that commute between Edmonds and Renton which has about 60 miles of freeway distance for round trip will be on the border of impossible when the temperature drops. Unless of course you can find a way to charge it up at your destination.

Freeway speeds from N 175th to South Center the entire way. Freeway speeds from S Center to about 1/2 to Frys (Express lane was wide open!), then variable speeds the rest of the way, sometimes 60-65, other times 30mph, and sometimes 10-20 mph. All up hill from Lake City Way to my home in Shoreline, though...

Cold weather performance will be the key, I agree. And even if their boss won't put in a charger, using the 120V unit in the trunk may well put them into a safe zone for this commute... year round, assuming a full 8 hours of 120 charging at work.

willsand said:

Thanks!

We probably do an inverse commute, I can comfortably drive my 75 mile commute from west federal way to redmond town center. You will be fine. I have plenty of margin. Winter, well, we will see. I have driven with the heater on during my commute, but it does really kill my margins. I'll probably roll in with 1 bar and the first battery alarm within a mile or two of my home. Snow/very cold weather...yeah...maybe my wife gets the EV for the winter season.

I am not sure where in Renton you work, but the city of Renton is a big EV advocate lately. Although, i doubt it would be something you could use on a routine basis.

Not sure if this is going to show up correctly - kinda new to the site and its format.

Anyway, I want to say thanks for all the frank insight to the commute inquiry I made 2 weeks ago. My decision on the purchase is still pending. I vacillate on a number of issues, but the range is a big one. I know what I really want is an EV that goes 300 miles (or even 200 would be great...). I truly would like to see EVs displace gasoline powered vehicles in my lifetime.... Hopes aside, I wonder if I am expecting too much at this time. Maybe using the Leaf for say 4-5 months of the year rather than all year round....?? In the bigger picture, I will still have my gas powered sedan to use when the Leaf is not an option. Anyway, your thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Check this out ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=118137#p118137

Someone with 60 mile roundtrip who is driving at 70mph and has 15 miles of range left - in Seattle.

Just the other day, starting with a 100% charge, we drove to a near by park, then at highway speeds from Shoreline up I-5, down part of 405, then 522 to Mill Creek, all at 60-65 MPH, with a family of four in the car, then met up with some Leafers, deliberately took the hillyest root to Redmond town center, via back roads, up steep hills (the organizers favorite leg burning bike routes) then took 405 back from redmond to I-5 then home at 60-65 mph. The trip odometer showed Showed 56 miles when we got home and I still had 4 bars left with an estimate of 32 miles of range left. I do find the guessometer to get more accurate toward the end and also there are some "hidden miles" now toward the end as well. Based on what I've done in the past, I am confident I could have gone another 35 miles and I would not call myself a hyper miler.

We were obviously not using the heater, mostly avoided AC and had the fan on medium high and we were quite comfortable. My experience is that the AC, if needed would not have made more than a few miles difference. We were playing music the whole time on the stereo. I think if you are easy on the accelerator, not super slow but not jack rabit and if you drive a little slower, 60-65, you really should be fine and will likely get to the point where you can do your commute on an 80% charge. In the Winter, you will want to pre-heat the cabin while it's still plugged in and that should keep you nice and warm with little reliance on the heater while driving. I'd be happy to take you for a spin along a route of your choosing so that you can see for yourself if it's a good fit for your needs.

regards,
george

Renton is on a big EV charging station push. They already have charging stations at the Landing and at McLendons on Rainer Ave.

http://renton.komonews.com/news/environment/city-unveils-electric-car-charging-stations/652701

They will also have it coming to IKEA and supposedly either the Fred Meyer on Rainer Ave or the one in Benson Plaza (can't recall exactly) according to Younker Nissan when I spoke to them last month.

I don't know if that helps you out much once they start charging for ...uhhh... charging. ;) Right now it's still free.

I have used the Chargers at The Landing in Renton - they are great. Although Free, you need a Blink card to use them.

I did not know about the McLendon Hdwr chargers. I haven't seen them listed anywhere.

More EV owners need to go to http://carstations.com/ and add stations to the site. With several companies making chargers, there isn't a good One Stop Shoppers site for ALL types of chargers yet.

saywatt said:
More EV owners need to go to http://carstations.com/ and add stations to the site. With several companies making chargers, there isn't a good One Stop Shoppers site for ALL types of chargers yet.
Recargo is as close as I've found to a one-stop shop. It pulls from anything that offers their station data in a slurpable way (ChargePoint, for instance), and beyond that gets added to by users.

Back