Considering a Leaf... Is it a good fit for me?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might find that your husband will still floor it at lights. I do all the time because the LEAF is very quick taking off. But you will lose range.

Yes you are almost 100% correct with your statement at the end about the EVSE. You'll need add a $25 add-on cable to your purchase in order to plug the upgraded unit into a 110V outlet.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&products_id=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The upgrade process changes the standard NEMA-15 plug to a L6-30 Plug and that $25 add-on cable changes it back to standard when you need to plug into 110

Tikimanbob said:
Again, thank you all for your input. Its been very helpful. I love the idea of this car and we are right on the edge of it being practical.

And yeah, I get it. I just put all that info in to say, "this is where and how I drive.. is this do-able with this car WITHOUT major adjustment?"

I see now that IS possible, but there may be some minor compromises... Slow down a little especially on very cold days. I MIGHT have to charge up at the NYC garage occasionally... The real issue is that my husband will be doing the bulk of the driving and fights change. I've been trying for years to get him to not floor it when the light turns green and practically accelerate until the last second at red lights. I can change, but I don't know if he can... AND he's the one who would be cursing my name on that third year of the lease when he has to choose between using the heat and getting all the way home cause the battery charge is so low. AND/OR we negate a large portion of our savings cause we have to charge up at the garage every night.

I'm going to look into a 2 year lease too.

Now. One last clarification... regarding the EVSE... People start throwing around model names and prices and abbreviations and I THINK I get it, but I want to be clear. This it what I'm getting... The simplest and easiest way to go is to upgrade the EVSE the comes with the car and that will give me the capability of just plugging the car into a standard 110 OR 240 outlet.. the same type of outlet where I'd plug in a dryer or a large AC. Correct? Then I wouldn't need to buy and install one of those big clunky EVSE things in my garage, just a 240 outlet? I feel like I must be missing something because if that's the case then why would anyone wants one of those big EVSE things mounted in their garage? There must be an advantage?

Thanks again!

Other advantages of a two year lease;

Lower payments. IIRC

Two years from now, you could get a 2016 with better range and other improvements, or a better deal on the outgoing 2015, which, who knows, may have better range as well.

We have an EVSE in our garage and we went that route because we were able to get state and federal rebates/credits to pay for 80%. The other feature is that we can keep the 110 EVSE in our car and not have to unroll it and then pack it up after every charge.

Tikimanbob said:
Now. One last clarification... regarding the EVSE... People start throwing around model names and prices and abbreviations and I THINK I get it, but I want to be clear. This it what I'm getting... The simplest and easiest way to go is to upgrade the EVSE the comes with the car and that will give me the capability of just plugging the car into a standard 110 OR 240 outlet.. the same type of outlet where I'd plug in a dryer or a large AC. Correct? Then I wouldn't need to buy and install one of those big clunky EVSE things in my garage, just a 240 outlet? I feel like I must be missing something because if that's the case then why would anyone wants one of those big EVSE things mounted in their garage? There must be an advantage?

One advantage is that by putting a dedicated EVSE in the garage, you can then keep the Nissan unit in the vehicle instead of packing and unpacking it every day. Some people upgrade the Nissan unit to keep in the car, and "one of those big clunky EVSE things" permanently mounted in the garage. The "big clunky EVSE" is usually cheaper than getting a SECOND EVSE upgraded unit, because Nissan charges a lot of money for the base unit.

This morning when I left my house I had 98 miles on the GOM (Guess O Meter) and when I arrived at my client 2 hours later in upper east side I had 58 miles left on the GOM.

The car stated that the temperature outside was 28 degrees. I pre-warmed the Leaf before I left my house while it was still plugged into my house power.

I only used the steering wheel warmer for half the trip this morning and with my winter gear on I was fine.

For sure my range is deminised because of the cold I would assume. I used 40 miles of range to get here and hopefully I only need 40 to get home. I am concerned that it will be colder and I may need more than 40 miles range tonight.

I will report back later tonight if I make it home :/

Just got home, took 90 mins. 24 miles left on GOM. No Heat again, only seat and steering wheel warmer on. It was 38 degrees out but felt much colder because no pre-heat and no sun out :(

I used to do this same trip and have 40 miles left in the summertime. So 16 more mile of range burned because of the cold. It's a little scary. Hate to see what happens when it's zero degrees out.

I guess I will find out!

r1234567 said:
We have an EVSE in our garage and we went that route because we were able to get state and federal rebates/credits to pay for 80%. The other feature is that we can keep the 110 EVSE in our car and not have to unroll it and then pack it up after every charge.
I can't speak to state rebates, but I took the 30% federal credit on the cost of the EVSE upgrade and its wiring. I felt justified because that unit stays plugged in at home nearly all the time. If you have a long commute with no L2 charging at work, and because of that you have to plug in to 120v every day at work, then packing and unpacking the EVSE for every charge would get old fast. I can see that you might prefer to do that once a day rather than twice a day. But for all the rest of us ...

You don't need to have an EVSE in your car at all times!

It's like carrying a "blankie" around with you when you are big enough to start school. I've used 120v charging three times in more than two and a half years of LEAF ownership. Not one of those times did I have to use it. Twice it was just an excuse to get a better parking space. Sure, there are exceptions. But for most of us, most of the time, just leave the EVSE at home. For emergencies, take along a cell phone. It's much smaller, much easier to pack, and much more useful.

Ray

I think the LEAF will be marginal in cold weather for the OP by year two or three, unless you charge at work on cold days and/or are willing to do without the heater sometimes. I'd say go for a PHEV like the Volt instead, to minimize complaints from the SO.

The OP might want to read the "Winter is hard on range!" topic:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but here's a quote from a recent post:

"I didn't do so well today. I started at 100% 229 gids and no highway travel and intermittent heat use. It was 25 degrees (f) today. I hit turtle for the first time a quarter mile from my house. Ended at 7 gids and 54.6 miles. I also notice a humming or like a metal to metal rubbing noise for the first few miles."

I'm at the same client today.

Yestersay I left my house at 10am and arrived at Noon.

Today I left at 6am and arrived at 7am.

Yesterday I had 58 miles left on the GOM today I have 70

It's also warmer today. Yesterday was 28 degrees, today is 38

Totoally different today. One hour less traffic and 10 degrees warmer.

planet4ever said:
You don't need to have an EVSE in your car at all times!

It's like carrying a "blankie" around with you when you are big enough to start school. I've used 120v charging three times in more than two and a half years of LEAF ownership. Not one of those times did I have to use it. Twice it was just an excuse to get a better parking space. Sure, there are exceptions. But for most of us, most of the time, just leave the EVSE at home. For emergencies, take along a cell phone. It's much smaller, much easier to pack, and much more useful.

Ray
This assumes, of course, that one lives in an area with charge stations to use when range becomes limiting. I think I'd rather just plug into an outlet — I know where they are — than wait for a tow, assuming that I have cell phone reception to call for the tow... In four seasons country the possibility of hitting unexpected snow in winter can't be ruled out. While I agree that most people don't need the portable EVSE in the car, don't be so dismissive of those who do. I'll be using mine later today because I want to take the longer, but less muddy, route.

Not sure what your parking arrangement is at work, but there are tons of Level 2 stations in Manhattan, many of which are free to use. On days when you feel you'll need a charge, you could park in a different garage close to work and get a free charge. It just depends on what the difference in cost is for the parking fee -- it might still be cheaper to pay for the charge in your normal garage.

As someone else mentioned, if you work in Midtown, there's a QC at a parking garage near Times Square. Assuming you get the QC port on your car, you could plug in for 5 minutes and get the boost you need to ensure you get home that day. However, they charge $7 per use (+parking fees), so I doubt it's worth it. I would still recommend getting the QC port though. Nissan has stated that they will be installing Quick Chargers at some of their dealerships in the area. This past week, 7 or so dealers in the Boston area suddenly had QCs installed. Free to use, and most are available 24/7. NY could be next, and you'll be sorry if you don't have the QC port to take advantage of them.

If you have a heated garage, then you can do it IF you don't mind slowing down a bit. You would need to fully charge every night and turn your heater on (remotely) so the car was warm when you start out. Then you start out nice and toasty and can manage with the seat heaters and no heater. I live in Minnesota and there is a definite range reduction during winter. We cannot make 65 miles on very cold days. It simply will not go that far.

Back