Consumer’s Union: EVs cost a lot less per mile

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargedEVsMag

Consumer Reports published an article on Thursday that confirms what most of us already know: EVs are cheaper to run than ICE vehicles. A lot cheaper... http://www.chargedevs.com/content/news-wire/post/consumer%E2%80%99s-union-evs-cost-lot-less-mile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote: "Plug-ins cost more to buy. A lot more. A Volt goes for about $44k, and a Leaf for about $35k, while you can have a Prius for about $27k."
I don't know why they don't mention the $7,500 dollar tax credit. And here in CA, another $2,500 rebate.

DougMarker said:
Quote: "Plug-ins cost more to buy. A lot more. A Volt goes for about $44k, and a Leaf for about $35k, while you can have a Prius for about $27k."
I don't know why they don't mention the $7,500 dollar tax credit. And here in CA, another $2,500 rebate.
True, but note that the LEAF is quoted at the actual MSRP ($35,200) while the Volt is quoted at $44,000 while actual base price is $39,145 and the Prius cost quoted there is also several thousand dollars over MSRP.

Probably just another case of lazy journalism.

The Volt comes with leather and upgraded sound and OnStar. The Leaf comes with a fast charger. And if you equip the Prius like the Volt the Prius probably costs over $30K.

Amazing what passes for "a report". Basically the conclusion is that if you want to save money buy a cheaper car. You save money if you buy a Corolla rather than a Prius. You save money if you buy a Prius rather than a Leaf. You save money if you buy a Leaf rather than a Volt. You save money if you buy a Volt rather than a Tesla S. You save money if you buy a Tesla S rather than a Ferrari. You save money if you buy a Ferrari rather than a Rolls Royce. And you save money if you get the Rolls Royce without the driver rather than with the driver.

Now this is illuminating. Next we'll learn you can save money eating beans and rice rather than steak.

SanDust said:
The Volt comes with leather and upgraded sound and OnStar. The Leaf comes with a fast charger. And if you equip the Prius like the Volt the Prius probably costs over $30K.

Amazing what passes for "a report". Basically the conclusion is that if you want to save money buy a cheaper car. You save money if you buy a Corolla rather than a Prius. You save money if you buy a Prius rather than a Leaf. You save money if you buy a Leaf rather than a Volt. You save money if you buy a Volt rather than a Tesla S. You save money if you buy a Tesla S rather than a Ferrari. You save money if you buy a Ferrari rather than a Rolls Royce. And you save money if you get the Rolls Royce without the driver rather than with the driver.

Now this is illuminating. Next we'll learn you can save money eating beans and rice rather than steak.

The assertion here is that a Leaf is no better than, say, a Versa or Sentra. That is quite debatable. Leaf is a 3500lb car, dealer said comparable to a Maxima. I have not test driven a Maxima but I suspect the Leaf is smoother and quieter, and probably faster off the line too. So there is value there that people are not accounting for.

Yet another article that fails to give people the compelling and real data necessary to provide a compelling argument that, after tax credits and in states like WA, sales tax exemption, the LEAF stands to pay for itself in gas saving over it's life! Depending on how you drive it's quite doable to get the cost of charging down to 2.2 cents a mile... Why this isn't front page news boggles my mind! The fact that a "magazine" on electric cars doesn't get it leaves me speechless!

Back