Cost to charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're trying to encourage midnight to 5am charging by making it so cheap. That way the power system can handle many LEAFs without too many modifications since the load isn't as high during that time...I won't be charging too much at peak time...

IBELEAF said:
I am not sure if I missed the post about it, but can someone tell what would be weekly and at some point monthly to charge the car?
Short answer: $30/month for 750 miles/month.

Long answer:
I drove 1500 miles in the last 2 months, time to check-in on cost per mile. This is the first time I decided to calculate it out.

My average efficiency has been just under 3 miles/kWh (yeah, I know, it sucks but it's been COLD in Portland the last 2 months!)
My rate for all electricity for my most recent bill is $.123/kWh, so I am at $.041/mile. I charge when I get home, and unplug in the morning when I leave, and don't bother with peak/off-peak. So far I have spent around $61.50 for driving my LEAF for the last 2 months.

My truck that I got rid of got 17 miles/gallon on a good day, and at $3.60/gallon (the cheapest I think you can find in Portland right now). It would have cost $317.64 to drive my truck the same distance, not including the extra maintenance of an ICE, so I am ahead over $250 so far :)

If the price of electricity and gas were to remain constant over the next 10 years, I should be ahead by over $15K on the price of fuel alone. Man, I am loving this car!!!

Oh, and since resetting the efficiency in the car for the first time yesterday when I hit 1500 miles I am at a 3.4 mi/kWh average, so my savings should be better overall...

PDXLeafer said:
My truck that I got rid of got 17 miles/gallon on a good day, and at $3.60/gallon (the cheapest I think you can find in Portland right now). It would have cost $317.64 to drive my truck the same distance, not including the extra maintenance of an ICE, so I am ahead over $250 so far :)

Plus, now you can finally pump your own fuel! :)

And speaking of calculating cost per mile, I'm working on modifying my 7 (yes SEVEN) spreadsheets that calculate my cost under different power utility plans now with one more factor in addition to the "finish charge by 05:00" with 95% charge drain each weekday (about 75 mi at 3 1/3 mi/kWh) and only 42.5% drain on Saturday and on Sunday. But now I'm adding a Touch-Up charge parameter. A touch-up is after I come home from work and before I need to do some evening driving with my, these day, very out-going lifestyle. So that means maybe 2 hours from 15:00 - 17:00 (especially if I can win Lance's Bike!!) once maybe every 3 weeks and a monthly excursion with charging from 15:00 - 18:00. Man, have I calculated the hell out of this! I hope to bring the summaries to my blog someday, but right now, I hate that changing just 1 parameter now has to ripple through 7 spreadsheets since Google Spreadsheets can't handle them all as one, big sheet.

Touch-Ups look to be about $30 or so a year, but again, I need to do more calculations to get it just right.

Oh, and where the hell is my LEAF! :roll:

PDXLeafer said:
IBELEAF said:
I am not sure if I missed the post about it, but can someone tell what would be weekly and at some point monthly to charge the car?
Short answer: $30/month for 750 miles/month.

Long answer:
I drove 1500 miles in the last 2 months, time to check-in on cost per mile. This is the first time I decided to calculate it out.

My average efficiency has been just under 3 miles/kWh (yeah, I know, it sucks but it's been COLD in Portland the last 2 months!)
My rate for all electricity for my most recent bill is $.123/kWh, so I am at $.041/mile. I charge when I get home, and unplug in the morning when I leave, and don't bother with peak/off-peak. So far I have spent around $61.50 for driving my LEAF for the last 2 months.

If the price of electricity and gas were to remain constant over the next 10 years, I should be ahead by over $15K on the price of fuel alone. Man, I am loving this car!!!

Oh, and since resetting the efficiency in the car for the first time yesterday when I hit 1500 miles I am at a 3.4 mi/kWh average, so my savings should be better overall...

Sorry, been spending more time on other things and haven't payed much attention to the forum lately, but thought I would give another update. Gas went up, my cost to drive went down:

2 more months, another 1500 miles. I have averaged 3.5mi/kWh these last 1500 miles, so at $.123/kWh that equates to $52.72 for the last 2 months, or under $27/month for 'fuel'. Can't wait for summer to kick in (no, it doesn't get that hot in Portland so AC won't be needed much for me) :lol:

Back