Cracked lights, all four corners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

**Update: Nissan has agreed to replace the lights under warranty. Waiting on the parts to arrive at the dealer.**

**Another Update: Nissan hasn't done **** yet. Received no word from the dealer since they said Nissan approved the replacements. We are going on 3 months. This is absurd. **

**Another Update: Nissan replaced the rears, ordered the wrong parts for the fronts, had to wait another week. Fronts arrived and were installed. Not impressed with 3+ month repair time, but happy it was taken care of before winter.**
hen then parts were

Anyone else have this issue? Very small cracks have formed on both my front side markers and my tail lights (all four corners) and I can't explain them. Car is 1 year old, front section of the lights are in perfect condition, paint is perfect, windows are perfect. The car is in tip top shape except for the plastic.

IMGP0035.JPG

IMGP0036.JPG

IMGP0037.JPG

IMGP0032.JPG

Any chance it is from rocks being thrown up from vehicles in front? I have already touched up several chips on the hood, and I have had to even replace my front glass because of it. I've always wondered how those headlights would hold up to it.

Looks like a manufracturing defect to me, since the tail light has a crack too. The mold may have been cooled too quickly.

adric22 said:
Any chance it is from rocks being thrown up from vehicles in front? I have already touched up several chips on the hood, and I have had to even replace my front glass because of it. I've always wondered how those headlights would hold up to it.

I would say it's possible if it was only the headlights. But it's the side markers (the second piece of the headlight closest to the mirrors) and the rear lights that are cracking, and those wouldn't take a direct impact from stones. Stones also wouldn't explain the damage to the rears unless Terry Grant was driving my car. ;)

DeaneG said:
Looks like a manufracturing defect to me, since the tail light has a crack too. The mold may have been cooled too quickly.

My dad (works for Ford) had a look at it and he said the same thing. Our guess right now is a microfracture due to a manufacturing defect that was made worse by either the winter or the thaw or both.

Just an update- Took the car to the dealer and they snapped some pics of the cracks and sent them to Nissan for authorization to order replacement assemblies. Hoping all goes smooth. Oh and I got all 5 stars on the annual battery test.

The other issues that I had were problems that I experienced when it was cold but have since gone away now that it's spring. Slow rolling up window and a moaning front left suspension. They suggested the window issue was due to my tint. :? Couldn't find anything with the suspension either, but they said they put it on the lift and it checked out ok.

Now just waiting on the shuttle to pick me up.

I was just going to be glib and suggest you need to learn how to drive better. :lol: But then I saw how tiny the cracks were and realized they weren't from bumping into something. :oops:

kubel said:
The other issues ... Slow rolling up window ...

The windows are slow, period. Painfully so when it's cold. You're not alone on that one.

From the invoice:

C CHECK AND ADVISE THE DRV SD FRONT WINDOW ROLLS UP VERY SLOWLY WHEN
ITS COLD OUT
CAUSE:
BD01 DRIVER FRONT WINDOW OPERATING FINE AT THIS
TIME, NOTICED MAY HAVE WINDOW TINT THAT WILL
AFFECT OPERATION
:|

D CHECK AND ADVISE DOTH FRONT HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLYS AND BOTH REAR TAIL
LIGHT ASSEMBLYS HAVE CRACKS ON THEM
CAUSE:
BD001 TOOK PICTURES OF ALL LENSES WILL E-MAIL TO
NISSAN WILL CONTACT CUSTOMER AFTER HEARING
FROM NISSAN

I was washing my car and noticed I've got the same issue with my headlight as well. I'll have to bring it up with them next time I'm in as I'm sure the lights aren't cheap. It's like
they're stress cracks or something.... I'll get a photo of it as they're in pretty much the same spot.

No one thought "manufacturing" was funny? Tough crowd!

I am sure that Nissan's week of silence was spent trying to scope the magnitude of the problem with parts already in WIP, etc.

jcan said:
I was washing my car and noticed I've got the same issue with my headlight as well. I'll have to bring it up with them next time I'm in as I'm sure the lights aren't cheap. It's like
they're stress cracks or something.... I'll get a photo of it as they're in pretty much the same spot.
Out of curiosity, where are you located? Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

cwerdna said:
jcan said:
Out of curiosity, where are you located? Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.
PNW :|

Sorry about that :) I've updated the Profile, Yes I live up near Seattle... Vancouver Canada. It rains allot... I don't think the rain should affect the plastic though.
BUT on closer inspection... I've found that I must have scratched it while washing....

Another update. It's been about a month,so on Monday I decided to call the dealer and check for an update. They told me they were waiting on Nissan to get back with them, and they would call me Tuesday with an update.

Tuesday comes and goes, no call back.

Today (Wednesday), I call, phone picks up, ::click::, they hung up. I called again, thinking it was a mistake (I've accidentally hung up on people before stumbling with my desk phone). Phone rang, and rang, and rang, then finally someone picked up, ::click::, they hung up again.

Meh.

Update: Called from another phone and got through. Apparently the replacements have been approved by Nissan, are on order, and I should get a call when they come in. Sounds like it will be a few weeks.

This is absurd. Hello Nissan? Anyone there? Did you send the parts by canoe? How could it take this long to fix such a simple defect? Are these hand carved? Do they have to ferment or something? Why the hell is my car still not fixed?

I wonder if I stopped paying my lease how long it would take for Nissan to come after me... What would be here sooner, the repo man or the light assemblies?

Back