custom startup chime

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
babynuke said:
Is it possible to change the startup chime?
Ty
It is on the 2012 so I presume that it is possible on the 2013, but I don't have the 2013 manual.

FWIW, the startup chime on the 2012 is controlled by using the "Effects" menu that is reached with the square and circle buttons on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Use the the square button to scroll through menus/screens. Use the circle button to scroll through options on a menu. Once you select "Effects":
Effects:
The start up sound can be selected or turned off from this menu.
5 submenus under the effects menu. When a menu item is selected, the selected sound plays.
• Back
Select this submenu to return to the top page of the settings mode.
• Sound 1
• Sound 2
• Sound 3
• Off
(The 2013 model options may be similar or the same.)

Thank you. But I am wanting to know if we can add a custom sound much like we add ringtones to our smartphones; not just the 3 sound files already provided.
Ty

The sound is generated by a Yamaha synthesizer chip IIRC. It makes startup sounds, backup sounds, pedestrian warning sounds. So it could probably do a variety of sounds. But Nissan did not provide any software interface other than the three built-in startup sounds. Other things are possible, but you'll have to figure out how the Nissan software interfaces with the synthesizer chip and figure out how to change it. Probably complicated.

I was wondering about that too. Though after a month with my LEAF, I've gotten used to the chime and now consider it part of the "experience".

I don't even own a smartphone. Besides my car, I'm quite old school, so I don't know much about downloading custom ring tones. My wife and my cell contracts expired some time ago, so she's trying to bring me into the 21st century...kicking and screaming I should add. :lol:

For a bit over a year I was using "sound #2". When I got the car back from the annual battery check, the service manager apologized, saying that they'd noticed I had installed an "aftermarket sound", but when they disconnected the battery for one of the recall activities, the car had reverted back to the "LEAF" sound. :lol:

I finally decided to go without the startup sound altogether. I like it a lot. You get to hear the little relay bumps as the car comes to life.

How did you install an aftermarket sound?

Nubo said:
saying that they'd noticed I had installed an "aftermarket sound", but when they disconnected the battery for one of the recall activities, the car had reverted back to the "LEAF" sound. :lol:

Lasareath said:
How did you install an aftermarket sound?

You don't, he just chose the 2nd of three or four options. The service team was only used to the first, default option, so they mistakenly thought his selection was after-market.

I don't particularly like that startup sound. It puts another song in my head so I checked out the other two sounds. Think I'll stick with sound #1.

Back