Delivery date : Saturday december 11th

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
Jimmydreams said:
I have 1 or 2 days a week where I have 8 hours between shifts, and that includes commute time, so about 7 hours charge available. ... If necessary, I will build in either a QC on the way home to boost the pack or find some L2 charging located near a bookstore/bar/whatever and just stop there for 30 minutes or more as extra insurance.

If you value the brief downtime you have between shifts, maybe this EV isn't for you?
I know if I was down to 7 hours between shifts, I wouldn't be looking forward to spending 30 minutes paused on the way home.

You have to really want it.

I do, and I do. And I also have a second ICE for exactly that possibility. :cool:

So what is the recharge miles gained per hour at the max charge rate?

But realistically we should be getting back more than that if it takes 18 hours to recharge from full that's a bit over 5 miles per hour plus we need to keep in mind the charge rate is somewhat lessened for the last 60-90 mind of charge time. So it would appear that we should be getting near 6 miles per hour of charge at the full charge rate.

DaveinOlyWA said:
So what is the recharge miles gained per hour at the max charge rate?

But realistically we should be getting back more than that if it takes 18 hours to recharge from full that's a bit over 5 miles per hour plus we need to keep in mind the charge rate is somewhat lessened for the last 60-90 mind of charge time. So it would appear that we should be getting near 6 miles per hour of charge at the full charge rate.

Isn't it 20 hours to fully recharge @ 110v from empty, with 4 miles regained per hour of recharge?

What is this? The new math? I thought 4 * 20 = 80. It sounds like Dave is on to something, here. It's gotta be more than five, though maybe not as much as six, at least if you are figuring 100 mile range. Oh, I'll bet that's it, isn't it Mike? You're assuming worst-case time gives worst-case miles.

Had to log on to dash board nut they say 8 hours of L2 .. 18 hours of L1

My figures 16 hours getting back 6 miles per hour or 96 miles with the last part to trickle top it off

**edit**

Looks like it will be in the 5 to 5.5 mile range. If we look at max power or 1440 watts the put back 24 watts that would be 16.66 hours. So we must be putting back less than that or say 20 kwh or so at 80% would make 17.32 hours.

So I would bank on something between 5.25 and 5.5 miles per hour of charge

The Leaf on-board charger has a maximum capacity of 16 amps @ 240 volts. The "emergency" Level 1 EVSE they include allows a maximum rate of 12 amps @ 120 volts.

I estimate that in order to charge a full 24 KWh into the battery, assuming a 90% charger efficiency, we need to use about 27 KWh of electricity. On a 16 amp, 240 volt circuit, it will take just over 7 hours. On a 12 amp, 120 volt circuit, it will take just under 19 hours to get to 100%.

120 volt @ 12 amps = 5.33 miles per hour of charge (assuming a range of 100 miles)
240 volt @ 16 amps = 14.22 miles per hour of charge (assuming a range of 100 miles)

Around 90% efficiency seems to be fairly standard for a charger, but in theory it could be higher though I wouldn't expect higher than 95%. But hey, we're already making a ton of assumptions... :D

Charger efficiency is typically in the 90% but there is losses in other areas as well. Overall I would not expect much more than 85% total

DarkStar said:
The Leaf on-board charger has a maximum capacity of 16 amps @ 240 volts.

240 volt @ 16 amps = 14.22 miles per hour of charge (assuming a range of 100 miles)
This is all Off-Topic vis-a-vis Dec 11 .... but ...

Actually, the most quoted charger spec is the 3.3kW limit. Because 240*16 = 3,840 you are being too optimistic regarding the level II charging. It's unknown how the LEAF charger will deal with 240V ... will it charge at 16A anyway, or limit the current to 3,300/240=13.75A ? At a public Level II with 208V nominal supply (many of the old to-be-upgraded Avcon locations are like that), and given a pilot signal of 30A max, will the charger dial in 3,300/208 (=15.87) amps ? Rounded up or down ? IOW, what is the "driving" factor ?

JPC2822 said:
Hey Jimmy!
Your home and solar panels look great! Awesome website!
:)

John, San Gabriel, CA

Thanks, John!!

I'm planning a redesign that will include a bunch of Leaf info/data once I get the car. A dual solar/Leaf data site, if you will. I just need to find the time to out it all together.... ;)

LEAFer said:
Actually, the most quoted charger spec is the 3.3kW limit. Because 240*16 = 3,840 you are being too optimistic regarding the level II charging. It's unknown how the LEAF charger will deal with 240V ... will it charge at 16A anyway, or limit the current to 3,300/240=13.75A ? At a public Level II with 208V nominal supply (many of the old to-be-upgraded Avcon locations are like that), and given a pilot signal of 30A max, will the charger dial in 3,300/208 (=15.87) amps ? Rounded up or down ? IOW, what is the "driving" factor ?
Exactly why I said a lot of assumptions are being made... None of us will really know until we have one in our hands. I got the 16 amp figure from a Nissan engineer when they were doing the Zero Emission Tour here in Portland last December.

Hopefully I'll be able to find out for sure soon! :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
no one with a full time job has 16 hours to charge at home. i am in a similar situation where we hope to commute up to 2 times a week on 58 mile RT. the other days it will be 22 miles. probably will alternate to insure a full charge each way.

now, i work 10 hour shifts (mandatory OT since June makes it more) but still spend time commuting to where the car would only charge 11 hours at the most assuming no other trips after getting home.

with my SO, her much longer commute plus picking up and dropping off kid, etc. means that even with her 8 hour, never work OT job, we would only have around 13-14 hours to charge.
. . . . but even if you had to drive 58 miles to work - round trip - that leaves you with almost 1/2 charge, so your recharge (on 110v) would take only 1/2 the 16, or 8 hours, right?

58 miles at freeway speeds would use over 2/3 of the charge.

Then, 2/3 of the L1 charging time (about 20 hours) ... is more like almost 14 hours L1 charging, not 8, I think.

Gudy, are you a member of the EV Project? I'm starting to suspect that being a member of the project puts you out of the running for the top 50, as they are having major delays in getting installations done.

Thats strange. My experience so far is that EVP participants seem to have moved up the list? Of course, I have no confirmation yet, but did receive a call out of the blue last week to get me charger installed and I am an EVP participant.

Yes, I think it does help move you up the list. But it makes sense that we're not at the top. They have had delays getting the chargers installed, and they want data coming in from day 1. So no cars until chargers are set up.

i am thinking that 13 hours at the most will recharge the 58 miles driven. but then again, the objective is 58 miles one day, the 20 mile commute the next. that should give plenty of charge for any evening trips.

most evening trips are in town and very short. 10-25 miles RT. when the Leaf comes in, it will be first choice for all trips

@ Gudy. What EVSE solution are you going with? Is it installed yet or very soon??? Or did you get waiver for cash-and-carry?

Two weeks Bro! Good times are at hand! :ugeek:

Back