DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, my Blink card came today (after requesting it on March 23 and calling them last week to see what was up). Plan to check it out at Whiskey Cake soon.

You got mail delivery on Sunday?

Awesome that you got to charge there in Plano. I haven't been to that station before.

@adric22 - I got my leaf in June of last year and suffered through the extensive heat wave where we were above 100 for that insane amount of time. At that time I didn't have the option to charge at work and no cover either. The range is SOOOOO much easier in the summer even in 100+ weather. The AC rarely uses much power. At first it will, but it cools down quite fast and usage is minimal. To give you some idea, my wife drives 110 miles to work round trip (about 85% freeway or more), she has the option to plug in (standard 110v) for the day (9 hours). In the summer, she could easily go to work and come home with 3 bars left on the car (sometimes 2 if she was being a speed demon or 4 if she was being conservative). In the winter, on the cold days (we had such a mild winter), it wasn't possible, she would barely arrive at work almost expending the entire battery and defintely not enough time to charge to get home. Granted she could always QC @ beltline on the way home, but adding 20-30 minutes on a 1:15 commute time in the evening was too much, which is understandable.

So if you can do it in a Texas winter, texas summer is a piece of cake, even at record temperatures!

Cheezmo said:
Funny, my Blink card came today (after requesting it on March 23 and calling them last week to see what was up). Plan to check it out at Whiskey Cake soon.

When you discover how bad the food is @Whiskey Cake, you might want to try one of the Blinks @Twin Peaks (and the prices are more reasonable). Also, one of the chargers @Whiskey is always on the "blink" (no pun intended).

If you want to charge at restaurants here are some options with your new blink card:

Bishop Arts District - in the Oddfellows/Tilman's parking lot, you can also easily walk to Lockhearts BBQ, Hatties, Veracruz Cafe, & Eno's Pizza plus all the others in this small district area

Bolsa Mercado - next door to the Bolsa restaurant

Chilis (Knox Street) - off US 75 if you want good 'ol Chilis

Deep Ellum Foundation Center - accross the street from the original Twist Root, some of the best burgers around (and the shakes are awesome!)

Green Spot Market - some sandwhiches and other items like this

McDonalds (Bedford/Flower Mound/Frisco/Irving) - its McDonalds...

Original Pancake House (Grapevine/Addison) - Been meaning to go to one of these..

The Ranch at Las Colinas - Highly recommended, slightly upscale for prices, but not too bad. Most of the food is local and it tops as one of my favorite places, its very very good.

West Village (garage or valet) - There are plenty of spots to eat here, but be aware the garage spots (on the 4th floor) and almost always ICED.

Uptown Village - open mall in Cedar Hill, has lots of good eats.

You left out the best "Blink" charging location(s) of them all (and they're in a COVERED parking garage): Watter's Creek in Allen off of I-75 (Central). Including my favorites:
1) Grimaldi's (Pizza)
2) CheeseCake Factory
3) P.F. Chang's

Stanton said:
You left out the best "Blink" charging location(s) of them all (and they're in a COVERED parking garage): Watter's Creek in Allen off of I-75 (Central). Including my favorites:
1) Grimaldi's (Pizza)
2) CheeseCake Factory
3) P.F. Chang's
There is also a Village Burger Bar there as well.

I checked out the Blinks at two different locations this week:

Twin Peaks @Preston Rd in Frisco
Twin Peaks @ Rt 35/Rt 121 in Lewisville

They work fine. The manager at Twin Peaks @ Lewisville said that he saw a Toyota charging earlier today, but didn't notice what vehicle was that. Hmm not sure what would that be.

mkjayakumar said:
They work fine. The manager at Twin Peaks @ Lewisville said that he saw a Toyota charging earlier today, but didn't notice what vehicle was that. Hmm not sure what would that be.

I can't remember who.. but there is somebody in the Dallas area who has a Plug-in-Prius. I remember seeing them post on priuschat that they had bought one out of state and brought it back to DF/W.

mkjayakumar said:
I checked out the Blinks at two different locations this week:

Twin Peaks @Preston Rd in Frisco
Twin Peaks @ Rt 35/Rt 121 in Lewisville

When I charged at the Twin Peaks in Plano last month they said "they have never seen anyone use those things before" :roll:

Both worked fine.

Stanton said:
dfwcre8tive said:
Sounds like a silly way of accessing the charging stations. Our experience in downtown McKinney was similar.

I totally agree: why is Texas so "anti-EV"? When someone brings the city into the 21st Century (like not having to CALL to activate a charger), I'll drive downtown and check them out.

Now that I've tried the downtown AE charging stations, guess I'll deliver an update: complete failure :evil:

Parked between the (2) well-marked L2 chargers next to Dallas City Hall; called the customer service number on the front. The guy repeatedly sent "successful" charge commands to BOTH chargers which unlocked the cable doors, but never put the chargers in "ready to charge" mode. After about 15 minutes of this, I called it quits (good thing I didn't REALLY need a charge). Hopefully my request for a key fob will go through; maybe the remote commands just aren't reliable. I will try it again (eventually) once I get a key fob.

hmm so you were able to request a fob? Update us on how that goes. It would make things infinintley easier if we could get ahold of the fobs. IMO TXU (and the City of Dallas and McKinney) have really messed up by installing these (with tons of press and fanfare) to not have a means to access them.

Pipcecil said:
hmm so you were able to request a fob? Update us on how that goes. It would make things infinintley easier if we could get ahold of the fobs. IMO TXU (and the City of Dallas and McKinney) have really messed up by installing these (with tons of press and fanfare) to not have a means to access them.
Yep - You know, if they don't get it resolved somebody could always call the news media. I'm sure they would gobble up a story about how the city wasted x number of tax dollars on EV charging stations that people can't even use.

Oh, almost forgot.

I saw another leaf on friday and was trying to figure out who it was. Silver Leaf with Leafer licenses plate driving west of IH 20 around 5:30-6pm (near SH 360). They were in the left lane and passed us by sitting in a slower lane. Unfortunately we were in my wife's audi TT since the leaf didn't have the time to charge to go from midlothian to arlington for dinner.

Saw two leafs in Plano over the weekend, one sliver and other blue. while I was in my blue Leaf. Saw half a dozen Leafs in "Dallas Earth Day" event in Fair Park, Dallas on Sunday.

The same Blink Rep who was I saw on the Plano Green event, had his Volt in his Ecotality booth. The evGo booth had two MiEvs parked. He was there to tout their quick chargers, but didn't have one there installed there though. He did mention that they are well on the way to get 35 QCs installed in DFW area in Cracker Barrel and Walgreens, by end of this year, and until they get to that 35 number, it will be free. $40 a month prepaid plan, looked pretty reasonable to me.

On Spring Creek Pkwy crossing Preston Rd. Trying to think perhaps it was yesterday (Monday) or the day before...

On the Earth day event, there were many Priusus and Huyndais, Volts, MiEvs touting high gas mileage, but guess what ? No LEAF on display. But quite a few in the parking lot though :)

MiEv looks disappointing. With 16kWh capacity (I was told), I am not sure what range you can get. Looks puny. Not sure what it is priced either. The eVgo rep gave me a card and asked me to go to one of the Mitsubishi dealer and do a test drive, to get $50 donated to some environmental cause. I am planning on doing that sometime next week.

mkjayakumar said:
MiEv looks disappointing. With 16kWh capacity (I was told), I am not sure what range you can get. Looks puny. Not sure what it is priced either.
46613409.jpg

mkjayakumar said:
On the Earth day event, there were many Priusus and Huyndais, Volts, MiEvs touting high gas mileage, but guess what ? No LEAF on display. But quite a few in the parking lot though :)

There was a Leaf INSIDE the large building (silver) connected to an SPX charger. It was brought there by a car rental place of all things. Never could find the NTEAA guys :cry:

Back