Diode in charging port cable? Diagnosing no charge condition 2013...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aftrburnr

Hi all,

Was wondering, while looking for fuses, pulled back the black rubber cover over the cable that goes to the charge port on the front of the car. Found what looks like a diode 2.7k ohms 1/2 w. Tested it for continuity but got none. Tested it for resistance, it had 2.72 so I guess it's good? Just wondering what it is and what's it doing in there lol

Maybe it's related to the proximity circuit? See https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772.

You have a 2013 that will not charge? There is a diode that fails internally on the charging board (AC to DC)--and then the car will not charge except on the stock 120volt charger that comes with the car. Several threads on this around here. Solution is to add a diode behind the charge port.

If you can see a diode installed behind the charge port--someone may already have done this repair once. You may need to replace it again. BTW, I have juss had this diode fail in my 2013 and verified this by installing a diode into the charging extension cable I have. Next step for me is to put a new diode in the wiring behind the charge port.

Went to the Nissan dealer to see if I could identify the part. They could not! I was told it was a resistor? Looks like it's part of the whole charge port harness and no individual parts are available. You have to buy the whole harness which was $3700.00 lol

This is what the part looks like...

1R.jpg

2R.jpg

3R.jpg

I am installing the repair diode this weekend and will look for that part or whatever it plugs into. That part does not look OEM to me... Can you post a pic of where it was plugged in?

MikeinPA Can't get a pic at the moment but it is in the orange cable that goes to the front to plug your charger into. Just below the charge port connection, there is a black rubber piece that wraps around the orange charge cable, bigger then smaller. If you pull it back or down around the orange cable, you'll find this part with some other small & big wires that are covered by the black rubber cover. Hope that explains it...

MikeinPA said:
That is not the diode.
No, The capital omega symbol indicates ohms, so that's the 2.7k resistor that should be in the vehicle inlet, per the J1772 diagram.

Resistor R5 in this schematic from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#/media/File:J1772_signaling_circuit.svg

The diode is a tiny SMD (surface mount device) in the on-board charger.

Back