Don't plug in or you'll get arrested!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because a facility is normally open to the public does not mean you cannot be banned from it. I used to work security for a public library and I personally have ejected problematic folks from there, a few times with police help.

I don't know about Georgia law, but in California a school administrator is basically the last word in who gets onto the campus. If that administrator says get out, they have full force of the law behind them. As this guy seems to have given the school problems before and was told he was no longer welcome, I can see why enforcement action was taken, though IMHO trespassing would have been a more appropriate charge. But then again I don't know if Georgia law makes trespassing a more difficult charge to prove than theft.

This seems like the EV owner was not playing nice and the cop made an example of him.

I saw this happen all the time in college... cop tells students to break up the party... or quiet down... a few students mouth off... the cop makes an example of the mouthy ones.

Whether or not it's everyone's concept of justice, it's a fact of life that enforcement of laws is often reserved for the obstreperous.

As far as unauthorized charging, I do agree with others that it's a bad practice. The amount of power is orders of magnitude above what's involved with cellphones, laptops, etc... And there's real risk that such a heavy draw could cause problems when we don't know the details of the circuits involved. Unless it's a true emergency, I wouldn't just plug in without asking, whether it's public or private property.

But, I'm not too worried about EV drivers getting a black eye from this one particular story. I think the more common item that the uninitiated will probably take away from the story is that FIVE CENTS is going to jangle around in their head as it clanks into the FIFTY DOLLARS they pay every time they go to the pump. ;)

kubel said:
He wasn't combative (that implies violence). He was adamant that he wasn't committing a crime (which consensus here seems to be that publicly funded and open-to-public facilities are free to be used by the public so long as the use is reasonable). Whether or not he was a jerk to the police officer shouldn't determine whether he was guilty of theft or not. Is charging in an open-to-the-public, taxpayer-funded facility considered "theft", or isn't it? I think that should be the question here. If yes, is using a drinking fountain or restroom in an open-to-the-public, taxpayer-funded facility considered "theft"? If not, how is using 5 cents worth of water any different than using 5 cents worth of electricity?

It sounds like the scope of this drama is not just about electricity, but also use of the school tennis courts in general. From the police release, it seems that if the school allowed him to use the facilities, they wouldn't have pressed charges for theft. But they didn't get him for trespassing, which is interesting.

Here's my speculation on the sequence of events leading up to this:

LEAF guy decides one day to use school tennis courts. Schools says no. LEAF guy says, screw you, I'm a taxpayer- this place is open to the public, I'm going to play tennis- charge me with trespassing if you want. School realizes that because the tennis courts are publicly funded and open to the public, he does have the right to use them, so there's nothing they can do. Fast forward a few days. School staff who has had previous dealings with LEAF guy sees he's plugged in one day. School staff calls 911. Police show up, start nosing through his car (illegally, by the way), confront LEAF guy. LEAF guy is adamant he's got the right to use the tennis courts and related facilities (including electricity). LEAF guy discovers cop was in his car, gets pissed off, gives attitude. Cops decides to break the guys balls and arrest him.

Again, just speculation.

It seems to boil down to this:

LEAF guy feels he has a right to use a facility that is open to the public and taxpayer funded.
The school feels he does not.

I think he has the right to use the facilities, both to play tennis and to charge his car- as long as long as the facilities are tax payer funded and open to the public, which I would think a school tennis court is. I don't think charging a car is any more unreasonable than charging a laptop or cell phone in a library.
You're right. I misused the word combative. In my native language it doesn't necessarily mean violence and I should have looked it up. What I meant was "unruly".

I think you're probably pretty close on the sequence of events. That said, I'm not a legal expert but according to this (https://ssd.eff.org/your-computer/govt/warrantless) it seems to me that police have the right to search a car without a warrant. In this case the probable cause might be valid since a *crime* of stealing electricity was reported and the officer could have been looking for evidences (I know it's far fetched but it might stand). But if you're correct and based on the LEAF guy's view of things, I'm sure he won't let that one go away.

On the point that charging a car is just like a laptop or a cell phone, I'm on the side of Nubo that it's NOT the same. It has become customary that charging small portable devices is okay in public places but it's mostly because it's a drop in the ocean and the benefit of simply letting patrons or visitors outweights the cost or trouble to manage it. But if you're told "no you can't plug" (which he was), you'd have comply. As far as I know free access to electricity isn't in your constitution.

Also, IMO, the fact that this happened a public place makes it even worse. Public money must be used appropriately (often, it's not but doesn't mean it should be tolerated). The school pays the electricity bills and regardless of the amount this money should have been used to teach kids - not to let this guy drive around for free. And BTW, I don't have kids and I'm perfectly fine with (some of)my tax money going to schools. Having an educated population benefits to all of us and without it, we'd still be riding horse carriages, there would be no electricity to steal and we would not be arguing about it. Well, maybe that would not be such a bad thing after all ;-)

the US is another plannet, here it is a non issue, allot of places of busines offer a outlet at 1500w each for block heaters, and most people would have no issue with donating 3 dollars worth of power to charge, mind you being a 120 suply even less as you won't be spending 10+ hours there!

ericsf said:
On the point that charging a car is just like a laptop or a cell phone, I'm on the side of Nubo that it's NOT the same. It has become customary that charging small portable devices is okay in public places but it's mostly because it's a drop in the ocean and the benefit of simply letting patrons or visitors outweights the cost or trouble to manage it. But if you're told "no you can't plug" (which he was), you'd have comply. As far as I know free access to electricity isn't in your constitution.

Also, IMO, the fact that this happened a public place makes it even worse. Public money must be used appropriately (often, it's not but doesn't mean it should be tolerated). The school pays the electricity bills and regardless of the amount this money should have been used to teach kids - not to let this guy drive around for free. And BTW, I don't have kids and I'm perfectly fine with (some of)my tax money going to schools. Having an educated population benefits to all of us and without it, we'd still be riding horse carriages, there would be no electricity to steal and we would not be arguing about it. Well, maybe that would not be such a bad thing after all ;-)
So $0.04 worth of electricity is huge and not a drop in the ocean?

It's a matter of scale. People see a big vehicle plug in and assume its hundreds of dollars of electricity and the neighborhood lights will dim. The public needs to be educated on how cheap electricity is to charge an EV and how little electricity costs at L1 rates. Rolling over and not challenging the incorrect assumption is a bad practice.

People need to chill about four cents worth of electricity. Certainly doesn't merit 15 hours in jail. They clearly spent thousands of times more money persuing this guy.

If you worry about four cents of electricity then don't steal the water in public spaces, nor steal the soap, nor steal paper towels to dry your hands. Heck, shouldn't walk on the grass, I'm sure that causes more than four cents worth of damage to the lawn.

Reaction needs to be proportionate, and the police actions in this case were thousands of times over the line of reasonable.

XeonPony said:
the US is another plannet, here it is a non issue, allot of places of busines offer a outlet at 1500w each for block heaters, and most people would have no issue with donating 3 dollars worth of power to charge, mind you being a 120 suply even less as you won't be spending 10+ hours there!
Only in a place like Canada where everyone is polite and respectful this kind of honor system works. In my home country (not the US), forget it!

Joke aside, it's still a bit different than what you mentionned. The businesses have installed those outlets for this purpose. Most outlets outside of buildings in public places are there for powering maintenance equipment, light up decorations, signs... At the time they were installed the owners probably had not thought about those herds of electric cars roaming around thirsty for electricity.

A good analogy for explaining electricity is to use water and in this case it works great too: Anybody can drink from a water fountain in a public place. It's been put there for this very reason. But it's not okay to come with tank on a trailer and fill it up from a tap ouside of a public building.

kubel said:
We received a 911 call

:lol: For the love of God, SOMEONE IS PLUGGED IN!!! CALL 911!!!

That version of events only reinforces in my mind that the cop is a total douchebag. I would be pissed off too if I found some cop nosing around in my vehicle.
Breaking and entering into a personal car without a warrant to investigate who owns it.
Has the policeman ever heard of checking the license plate?
The story sounds questionable from the police side.
911 call because someone plugged into an outdoor outlet at a public facility. This is an emergency? People reporting accidents, murders, attempted robberies have to wait for this call to go through.

Arrested on theft charges because he's not allowed to use the tennis court. Why not cite him for trespassing?

Days pass before they drag him away to jail? Can police really drag you from your home days after a trivial complaint? Does this not seem way out of line? Police force run amok, intoxicated with power. A more reasonable course of action is to cite, or ticket or give a warning, or even a summons. But haul someone off to jail for four cents of electricity? In the days in between the police couldn't investigate how much the electricity cost? There must be rules about punishment commensurate to the dollar amount of theft. 15 hours in jail is way out of line for four cents.

dm33 said:
There must be rules about punishment commensurate to the dollar amount of theft. 15 hours in jail is way out of line for four cents.
That's nothing. I once treated a man who spent 8 months in jail for stealing a drill bit valued at less than $5.00. He said he was in the store, had a panic attack and went outside to sit on some wooden pallets to get his breath, where he was arrested having forgotten to put down the drill bit (I believe him). Apparently it took them that long to decide whether to give him a 3rd strike for that horrible crime (they finally decided against it and let him go). I wonder how much that cost the taxpayers...

dm33 said:
ericsf said:

It's a matter of scale. People see a big vehicle plug in and assume its hundreds of dollars of electricity and the neighborhood lights will dim. The public needs to be educated on how cheap electricity is to charge an EV and how little electricity costs at L1 rates. Rolling over and not challenging the incorrect assumption is a bad practice.

People need to chill about four cents worth of electricity. Certainly doesn't merit 15 hours in jail. They clearly spent thousands of times more money persuing this guy.

If you worry about four cents of electricity then don't steal the water in public spaces, nor steal the soap, nor steal paper towels to dry your hands. Heck, shouldn't walk on the grass, I'm sure that causes more than four cents worth of damage to the lawn.

Reaction needs to be proportionate, and the police actions in this case were thousands of times over the line of reasonable.
Yes, if you only read the headline, jail for 5 cents or even one dollar is exessive. And that's why this story went viral. But if you read the whole story you'll find that the guy had it coming. He refused to comply when he was asked by the officer to unplug and made claims that the officer had damaged his car. He POed the officer and he got punished for it... Same if you get pulled over for speeding. Mess with the cop and you can end up in jail too. Some are making the argument that it's okay to just plug-in in public places like he did and I totally disagree with that. If you are affraid of the public image of EV drivers, I'd worry more about beeing perceived as the-jerks-who-think-they-can-drive-around-for-free-because-they-are-better-the-rest.

I sure don't want the general public to be scarred of EV charging but the fact is those are large appliances. When connected on 110 outlet, the LEAF pulls the max continuous Amps a 15A circuit can deliver and yes, if you add a few 100s watts in the same circuit the lights will go out. I conceed, not in the neighborhood but it will trip the breaker.

If you understand the money analogy, when an EV would have drawn $0.05, a cell phone plugged in the same time would have cost $0.0006 at the max. It's not the same. It's 100 times less.

I can't understand why people don't see the difference between using something for its intendend purpose and ABUSING something. Please help me there.

And let's stop arguing about the amount. It's not about that. If someone tells you not to use their property, you got to stop.

dm33 said:
ericsf said:

I watch people help themselves to samples at the farmers market taking one or two strawberries because they think it is ok. It's just a couple. The vendor said he can't even keep up with all the people that do it without asking and it ends up being hundreds a day. I guess that is ok. So what if this guy used the outlet for four hours and that ended up being 3kwh? What if many people did this daily and the cost is say $1 per person. One person a day is about $240 a year. It's easy to justify unless you pay the bills but regardless it's BS. Walking on grass has nothing to do with this.

And let's stop arguing about the amount. It's not about that.

It shows indiscretion by government. Also notice that police claim (in their defense) they didn't know how much power the LEAF took. This is a very important statement from the police, and might get his conviction overturned. While the police are making a statement of ignorance to persuade the public that they didn't know they were overreacting, that same statement can be used by the defense to prove police weren't aware of how much (if any) electricity the LEAF consumed. If that's the case, how can they even charge him with theft? In fact, the school didn't even press charges here.

If someone tells you not to use their property, you got to stop.

Who is the someone? Who's property?

In this case, the "property" was a tennis court- publicly funded, publicly owned, publicly accessible ("common property"). If one can argue that such use of the common property was not excessive or unreasonable, one can also argue it's not theft.

If this was private property that was not open to the general public, I would be in complete agreement that this would be a clear case of theft. But when we talk about common property that is funded through taxation, the assumption is made by the public that the property can be used by the public, as long as such use is reasonable and not excessive (such as to prevent others from being able to enjoy it) without being considered theft. A person, even an employee or agent of the state (such as a teacher or a police officer), doesn't necessarily have the power to ban someone from public property.

EVDRIVER said:
I watch people help themselves to samples at the farmers market taking one or two strawberries because they think it is ok. It's just a couple. The vendor said he can't even keep up with all the people that do it without asking and it ends up being hundreds a day. I guess that is ok. So what if this guy used the outlet for four hours and that ended up being 3kwh? What if many people did this daily and the cost is say $1 per person. One person a day is about $240 a year. It's easy to justify unless you pay the bills but regardless it's BS. Walking on grass has nothing to do with this.

Strawberries would be private property though. The outlet in question was funded through taxation and was at a facility that was open to the general public.

Technically, as a victim of taxation himself, the LEAF owner was paying the electricity bills. Probably more than a mere 5 cents worth, I would imagine. Going back to the strawberry example, it would be like the farmer coming to your house with a gun and demanding $50 every year, or else he will lock you up in his barn. He then says, as a benefit of this theft, you will be entitled to certain produce from the farm throughout year. You then show up at his farmers market stand. Everyone else in the town who is a victim of the farmers theft is conservatively sampling a strawberry. You decide to sample one-half of a blueberry. The farmers response is to lock you in his barn for theft.

The arbitrary nature of deciding that the use of an outlet is theft in an area that is open for public consumption and is funded through theft is just silly sounding to me as an anarchist.

kubel said:
If this was private property that was not open to the general public, I would be in complete agreement that this would be a clear case of theft. But when we talk about common property that is funded through taxation, the assumption is made by the public that the property can be used by the public, as long as such use is reasonable and not excessive (such as to prevent others from being able to enjoy it) without being considered theft. A person, even an employee or agent of the state (such as a teacher or a police officer), doesn't necessarily have the power to ban someone from public property.
But this was not public property, according to the article. It was a tennis court within the property of a middle school. If I were to walk into an empty but unlocked middle school classroom, pick up a dozen pencils, and take them home, that would be theft, even if the value was trivial and the pencils had been paid for with taxes. These were taxes that had been allocated to education, and I would be usurping them for private gain.

In the case of school property the school administration has every right to make rules about how and when it can be used by the public. Apparently they did allow some public use of the tennis court, but had also excluded the LEAF owner as a past troublemaker. That, too, was within their right. And I doubt seriously if they had published any permission to use the electrical outlet.

Ray

dm33 said:
kubel said:
We received a 911 call

:lol: For the love of God, SOMEONE IS PLUGGED IN!!! CALL 911!!!

That version of events only reinforces in my mind that the cop is a total douchebag. I would be pissed off too if I found some cop nosing around in my vehicle.

Breaking and entering into a personal car without a warrant to investigate who owns it.
Has the policeman ever heard of checking the license plate?
The story sounds questionable from the police side.
911 call because someone plugged into an outdoor outlet at a public facility. This is an emergency? People reporting accidents, murders, attempted robberies have to wait for this call to go through.

Arrested on theft charges because he's not allowed to use the tennis court. Why not cite him for trespassing?

Days pass before they drag him away to jail? Can police really drag you from your home days after a trivial complaint? Does this not seem way out of line? Police force run amok, intoxicated with power. A more reasonable course of action is to cite, or ticket or give a warning, or even a summons. But haul someone off to jail for four cents of electricity? In the days in between the police couldn't investigate how much the electricity cost? There must be rules about punishment commensurate to the dollar amount of theft. 15 hours in jail is way out of line for four cents.

1. The car was unlocked so it's not breaking and entering
2. Yes, the police can access the vehicle during an investigation..note I'm not talking "routine" traffic stop. But during an investigation a vehicle is considered a movable crime scene and it has been supported at the US Supreme Court that you can search a vehicle w/o a warrant due to the mobility of the scene. Side note - just because you search a vehicle doesn't mean that the resulting evidence is admissible, you have to have more than a report of a plugged in car.
3. Just because you run the tags doesn't mean that's the person who drove the car.
4. Day pass before dragging to jail - yes. After the initial investigation a warrant was issued instead of an arrest at the scene. This is not uncommon. As far as the cost of the electricity, that's not a police job but rather one of for the prosecutor. In this case it's 'taking without consent' so the actual value only matters if you're going to make this a felony instead of a misdemeanor.
5. Trivial complaint - this is opinion of the value of the infraction but yes, once a warrant is issued you can be removed from any location at any time by the authorities who are executing the warrant. This includes your place of employment in full view of your co-workers.
6. Cite or ticket - citations or tickets are infractions against city ordinances and not against the criminal code. In that case it all depends on what you're writing. I actually had 2 different ticket books, one for ordinance violations (traffic tickets) and one for criminal and it all depended on what you're writing.
7. Rules against punishment commensurate to theft - Punishment is what is applied by the court system when and if you are found guilty. One of the 'punishments' can be 'time served'. If he really spent 15 hours in jail he really pissed someone off. One call is valid and sometimes you have to wait hours before your next turn if the phone was busy or you got a voicemail. The division station I was at when busy would only allow 1 call for a prisoner and then transport to HQ for long term detention if the prisoner was there 4 hours or was if he was unruly.

Again on my earlier post if a person is acting reasonable at the time of the investigation and if an arrest was completed at that time, if a person is reasonable then a signature bond is fine. If you're being an ass then all bets are off. Is this abuse of power? Maybe, but deal with assholes 6 days a week you'll find your tolerance level greatly reduced. Every cop I know is more than willing to help any and every one who asks/needs it. But there is a very small line and it doesn't take much to cross it for them to get defensive. Remember they never know what just happened or who a person is or what action that person might suddenly decide to take. Being a cop is one of the few jobs where just going to work might be a reason you don't come home that night. Please keep that in mind when making assumptions about why a cop did what he did. Not saying all cops are angels because there are problems daily but even the problem makers are a small percentage of people trying to make the world better.

Btw, just wait for the cop to come to the door. Even though we all know you need your insurance, license, and registration don't go digging for it until he/she can watch you.

Off my soapbox.

Btw, my personal opinion, theft was probably the wrong thing to write. Trespassing or other ordinance would have been better but rule #1, don't throw poo at the police. Rule #2 don't stand next to someone who throws poo at the police.

<edit> i may have missed it but did this actually go to court already? There's no conviction until arraigned and prosecuted and found guilty

Wonder if it's a coincidence that the police arrest him at a time where bail could not be set until the next day? Sounds like a case of who is the most macho. The Leaf owner instead of being appropriately apologetic lips off instead, the police respond by arresting him on a technically correct but trivial criminal complaint at the worst possible time.

kubel said:
Who is the someone? Who's property? .
Someone is the school using the police as a messenger. The propery is the electricity. I don't care about the tennis court story. It's only relevant if you want to understand why the school decided to call the cop on him.
kubel said:
The arbitrary nature of deciding that the use of an outlet is theft in an area that is open for public consumption and is funded through theft is just silly sounding to me as an anarchist.
I guess that explains your point of view on the whole matter. Like this LEAF owner, you believe that anything which is in reach, unlocked, unmarked, etc... can be taken or used by anyone as they see fit... You're making me feel very naive right now. I'm not sure how I'd deal with you if you were using my frontyard hose to wash your car.

The police claim that he was being unpleasant and argumentative. But that is not a crime. It sounds to me like the police weren't grown up enough to move on and decided to "teach him a lesson" and bully him by a trumped-up arrest.

Atlanta channel 11 News reports:

"Kamooneh says he is also meeting with an attorney next week, some of whom have offered to represent him at no charge. He says Chamblee Police have made numerous false statements about the incident, including

* that Kamooneh had been warned to stay off the tennis court at Chamblee Middle School previously. Kamooneh says he "emphatically" denies that.

* that Kamooneh was taking a tennis lesson on the court, not his son. Kamooneh re-stated that he was watching his son take the lesson on the court.

* that Kamooneh had been uncooperative with police who investigated the alleged theft. Kamooneh reiterated that he expressed disbelief that the officer was pondering a criminal charge, but cooperated fully.

Records show that a Chamblee police sergeant told a DeKalb judge that Kamooneh had swiped $10-25 worth of electricity during the incident. The judge issued the warrant for Kamooneh's arrest. Later, police admitted they didn't know the value of the electricity involved."

Police made a demonstrably false claim that $10-$25 of electricity was "stolen" when it was actually $0.04, so I'm not inclined to believe anything else that they've said. A power outlet in a public place generally implies consent for its use - it is there so you can use it. If they school didn't want it to be used by the public they should have put a sign saying "For authorized use only" or locked it up. If I go to a city park pavilion and use an outlet for my crock pot should I be arrested for theft? There is implied consent that a publicly available outlet on public property is there for the use of the public. It doesn't matter what the electricity is used for. According to the Chamblee police department "a theft is a theft". My guess is that the police officers have occasionally taken 30 seconds more of break time than they are entitled to, so, using their own logic, they should also be charged with theft.

If you haven't read the officer's report on the incident, it says:

"I asked him why his vehicle was plugged into the power at the school. He told me that was an excepted [sic] practice and that I was making to [sic] much of it. I asked him if he has [sic] asked the Dekalb County school system if he could take the power. He told me that I did not ask if my patrol car can dirty the air -- did you? He says 'No you did not'."

The spelling and grammatical errors (just before each "sic") only reinforce the worst stereotypes of Georgia law enforcement - that they are ignorant bullies who enjoy pushing people around. I'm sure that is not true of all of them, hopefully not very many, but it is actions like this that cause people to lose respect for them.

Also, it was reported that "a citizen" called 911 to report the car charging. It doesn't say that it was the school. In fact, since it was Saturday morning, and it was reported that there was no one at the school except for the tennis instructor and Kamoonehs, it sounds like it might have been a neighbor or passerby. Improper use of 911 is also a crime, so I'm faux-surprised that the police didn't throw the caller in jail too.

Back