Doug Korthof, 6/3/43 - 2/6/12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fooljoe

Doug Korthof, a tireless activist who fought for electric vehicles, solar power, and the environment, passed peacefully this morning. Some of you may recognize him from Who Killed the Electric Car?, where he led the fight to keep the last generation of EVs from the crusher. There was a nice write-up in the OC register recently about a living memorial that was held for him a few weeks ago.

I was lucky enough to be childhood friends with his son, William, whom some of you may know from his former company, EE Solar, and his current business which includes EVSE installs. Later in life, I joined the online forum he created on Yahoo, Electric Vehicles for Sale, where Doug shared such things as email discourse with Bob Lutz about the development of the Volt, and chronicled his efforts to bring EVs back after their untimely demise a decade ago. When Nissan first started accepting reservations for the Leaf, I got the news about it from Doug's site.

The fact that we can now (almost) walk into a Nissan dealership and buy a Leaf is, in my opinion, in no small part due to his advocacy, and I'd like to think that the current EV renaissance gave him great joy before his passing. If you knew Doug, share your memories here. If not, take a moment to read the article. And let's all continue to fight in his memory to ensure that this time EVs stick around for good.

Doug was not only a leader on electric vehicles and solar energy, he was also an incredible force in issues like removing the waiver to the Clean Water Act that allowed Orange County to dump partially treated sewage into the Pacific Ocean, as well as being a passionate supporter of wetlands.

He will be badly missed.

Back